PDA

View Full Version : Self propelled mower

GeoL
10-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions for a self propelled lawn mower?? Toro, J Deere, Craftsman?
Was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences lately.
4 to 5 hundred.
Thanks,
Geo

bulldogdaddy
10-11-2002, 10:01 PM
i got a scotts lawn mower at home depot,high back wheels,self propled,bagger mulcher,2 yrs ago,and still looks brand new,no problems.oh ya i do try to cut the grass here once a week,lol:p

GeoL
10-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the reply Dawg, I'll be checking them out.
Geo

eautosales
10-11-2002, 10:15 PM
have a new craftsmen self propeled with da big wheels it works great i think i paid 225 this year in may i was tired of fixin the old one:p

GeoL
10-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Looks like Home Depot and Sears.
Geo

bulldogdaddy
10-11-2002, 10:20 PM
too many $50 lawn sale mowers for me!paid 299 for mine too

Tom D.
10-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Can't go wrong with a "Binford 1000".;)

bulldogdaddy
10-12-2002, 03:56 AM
isn't that the v-twin model?;)

gaineso
10-12-2002, 05:22 AM
Honda power on a Sears frame on sale for $329.

Front drive is easier to manuever, rear drive has more traction.

Just like anything else, maintenance is the key to longevity.

Either go with Briggs or Honda power. Others ain't so good.

I mow once a week, but fortunately we have pretty severe winters and January and February I can get away with only mowing every 3 weeks. March is two weeks and then back to every week.

Couldn't handle that and boating if I wasn't semi-retired and working part time.

GeoL
10-12-2002, 08:13 AM
Appreciate the input fellows.
I am concerned about the "personal pace" drive on the Toro's that sets the speed by the amount of pressure on the handle.
They sure have a lot of stinking safety features.
Thanks again,
Geo

Techno
10-12-2002, 10:12 AM
If you go to an "industrial" mower most of the safety features won't be there. Roughly 1 grand gets you a hydrostatic drive on a walk behind. Variable speed.
Check out the controls, a good mower will have them set so the safetyies aren't a pain but only a safety. Some have clutchs & brakes instead of kill switches for the blade

If your yard is small enough check out the electric cordless mowers- battery powered. Not self propelled but they are nice from a hit a switch and they're on perspective.

eautosales
10-12-2002, 05:02 PM
yes make sure its a briggs & stratton, those techumsens are kinda like an omc ,briggs are pretty rugged & reliable like a merc:D

GeoL
10-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks much, I'll be sure to hold out for a Briggs or Honda engine.
Geo

bulldogdaddy
10-12-2002, 10:39 PM
where do you live at in winter haven,had 2 locations,eagle lake and lake howard.when i bought the scotts they said it was a lawn boy engine!like i said no problems,but i know when it goes service will suck!the grass has to be getting high by now.and another thing ,a kid just came by $10 bucks a week to cut and trim,that saves me more time to do work on the boat,if i get it!:D

rob vaughn
10-13-2002, 07:42 AM
That's INTERNATIONAL CUB CADET 122, he's a 68, and he keeps on a keepin on.......All I do is add gas, and do a P.M. in the spring of each year...... He uses a little oil but he's 34 now, I remember when he was just a young thing.........

GeoL
10-13-2002, 08:29 AM
We're a block North of Lk Howard.
I should have had the boat in the water yesterday instead of watching the ball games.
Purrr FSU and UF.
Go Sooners!

woodco
10-13-2002, 09:49 AM
George If yur yards big enough 1/2 acre or so I would go with a
Ransomes Bobcat 36" Walk behind commercial mower.If the area
is any smaller then I would go with a John Deere !!!! ;)

GeoL
10-13-2002, 10:14 AM
The wife wants the little one, the lawn tractor is too much for her.
Thanks for the help.
That satellite sure gives a purrrrty foto of your neck of the woods.
It is 90 here now, yuk.
You must sail also????
How deep are those finger lakes?
Take care,
Geo

woodco
10-13-2002, 11:41 AM
So the wifey mows the grass !!!!! :D I like that ;)

I told ya to come up and see the scenery .....

My lake is 520 at the deepest and Seneca which is 20 miles is
over 600 + :eek:

The nicest is Skaneatless ;) Thats where President Clinton came
up for his summer vacations .......

CompKing
10-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Your into perfomance boating how bout a perfomance mower:D :D

CDave
10-20-2002, 08:20 PM
I have a Toro Personal Pace, 3yrs old, and love it. Engine starts one pull everytime. The personal pace works like a dream.
My Dad liked it so much he bought one. My neighbor liked it so much he got one too.

Basically a Brigss&Straton Quantum engine on the Toro I have. I have what I call a typical Surburb size yard and it does just fine.

FLMIRAGE
10-20-2002, 08:34 PM
I have a lawn equipment sales and service. For the residential customer like yourself i will recommend a SNAPPER. My business is in your backyard ( approx 5 miles). See me for a fellow hot boater discount.

thanks,

Mike

bus. # 956-2422

jmc
10-22-2002, 09:03 AM
Be careful with the cheaper mowers. You can bend a crank easy by hitting rocks, rebar etc. Craftsmans are bad about this. Just remember you get what you pay for. I have been through Snapper and Craftsman. I finally bought a J. Deere and I wouldnt consider anything else now. I paid $700 which is a lot for a self prop. mower but you get a OHV Kawasaki 6.5 horse industrial engine with a pressurized oil pump, a very thick lightweight alluminum cast deck, 5 speeds, rear wheel drive which is a must if you want your lines to be straight and if you want it to actually pull itself once the grass bag gets heavy. I mow close to an acre of zoysia at least once a week in the hot months. The only part number you will ever need for this mower is the blade number unless you like sharpening them.

GeoL
10-22-2002, 01:49 PM
Wife was in a hurry, we got the Honda at Home Depot.
$400.00.
We are quite pleased. She doesn't have any problem cranking and handling it.
Thanks for everyones input.
Geo