PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Magnum Missle splash?

LakeRacer99
10-11-2002, 11:30 AM
Are there any of these around, I have never heard of them. This was in 1973.

LakeRacer99
10-06-2004, 02:17 PM
ttt...cool looking boat.

PARKER RABE
10-06-2004, 06:09 PM
man i dont know looks like it but in that one pic the deck looks funny

raceman ?

crazy horse
10-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I don't recall that boat back then at all. Do you know what magazine that ad was from?:rolleyes:

fijjity
10-06-2004, 08:45 PM
It looks similar to that starcraft that was on ebay

fijjity
10-06-2004, 08:47 PM
another shot of the bow

PARKER RABE
10-07-2004, 08:10 AM
hmmmm deck looks the same

LakeRacer99
10-07-2004, 10:34 AM
"I don't recall that boat back then at all. Do you know what magazine that ad was from?"

I think it came from a powerboat, I scanned some old tunnel ads a few years ago. It cam from either Popular Performance Boat, Hotboat, Trailerboats or Powerboat, I have a bunch from the 70's.

It does kinda look like the Starcraft/Duo type. I had never heard of it though.

lilabner
10-07-2004, 09:07 PM
They didn't last long..my shop is only 7 blocks down the street and I've been there since Jan 77...a pretty bad part of town back then..i've never heard of them...

Butch

streaming demon
10-13-2004, 04:15 PM
it is a missile bottom and looks nothing like that yellow boat, to me. her is a bottom pic..

streaming demon
10-13-2004, 04:17 PM
here is the bottom pic i said

Jeff_G
10-14-2004, 08:21 AM
lilabner, do you remember Jan Whitten from down in Miami. Had a shop just off of 79th St. Didn't he also have a splash of the Magnum? I remember he also made a few small v bottoms, EP and JP.

lilabner
10-14-2004, 10:50 PM
I remember Jan pretty well..he had a Porsche that I worked on...his shop at the time was off the Palmetto XWay and 53rd st..I also worked on Jock Horners'...I had quit racing outboards in late 63 but knew everybody in Miami..I ran a GN boat till 73..also ran with Dick Bertram in 69-70...Jan wanted me to come out to his place to show me something, and then he was gone...sad...a side note, Jan's store was in the same "complex" as FINO Marine where I worked in 71-72 and Bobby and Jack's Custom Marine was next door..as in Moore and Stuteville..it was the middle of the splash capital of the world..Hialeah...

Jeff_G
10-15-2004, 08:36 AM
I used to pal around with Tommy & Stacey Chandler when he still ran JP and Gary Kapit. Then Tommy moved to GN's. He started with a 16' boat Mighty Mouse, darn I forget who owned it, he used to be a OPC referee. I was supposed to run it after Tommy but never did. Duff Dailey told me not to, boat was dangerous. Then Tommy moved on to a better boat. He sure could drive.
Gary stayed in JP to the end, he started in FJ with Bill Markey, then Formula 100 until 1989.
I started racing APBA when Tommy was still running. About 1977. Started at the old Carribbean Club in Key Largo previously in a 17' Action.
In the early 80's I ran with Craig Mauldsley and Richie Powers. Craig had a Modified offshore boat Black Tornado. Won the Miami race once but was pi**ed my "circle jerk" JP was faster.
Used to hang out at Skyway Marine in the early 70's. They rigged some 14' Actions for a friend and we had a lot of fun in that little boat.
Jan was supposed to build me a new JP just before he died in the Bahamas. So I bought Jim Everetts boat instead, a Royal Craft.
Miami in the 70's was a great place for hi-per and racing.

lilabner
10-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Jeff
I worked at Skyway when I got out of high school in 60..I was running Raveaus back then for Phil Young..ran some Powercats too..left there and went to Dade Marine..worked on CIA boats almost every day..those were great times, and great guys to work for..the GN I ran was Par Breaker with Bobby Erra...a Mandela, the first race boat Lou told us..he said Mickey Thompson and Gordon Cooper ran it to Catalina..I know Craig pretty well, a crazy man still...did you know Gary Peacock? He was a real trip...Pruett lived a couple blocks from me in the early 70's...Miami is still a great place..if only we had the stadium again...Bernie from Action is now involved in Oceanhawks, a 33 foot center console.I have had one since 90 and love it..Phil Cardelli owns the company..he really builds a great boat..with V8's mine ran over 70..When Cigarette built them they couldn't get them over 64 with anything they put on them, Merc 300's included...they kept coming to me for props, and I got to try theirs..Cigarette has always been a great company...

Jeff_G
10-15-2004, 04:19 PM
I knew Gary but we were not friends. Remember Rick Allen in his little EP?
Barney from Action and Tommy were friends until a little accident with Stacy at the Carribbean Club. Stacey, Beth Kapit, my wife and Barney's girlfriend were in the power puff race. they were all in Actions or Royal Craft except Barney's girlfriend who was in a big ole 20' Center console with Barney on the sticks! You can imagine what happened when they hit the wake. Stacey went to the hospital with a broken leg and Barney took off for Miami across Florida Bay!
Was Phil Young Peter Youngs father?