PDA

View Full Version : Dirty White Bottom

crimson merc
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Whats the best way to get the river gunk off the bottom of a boat. Doesnt look like the bottom of the boat was ever rised or washed off and is now a nasty looking brown. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

baja200merk
03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
muratic acid. Wipe it on and the brown will dissapear. I have done it many times on gel and paint doesnt hurt it. Keep the acid off the metal on the trailer.

cutwater
03-31-2010, 09:25 AM
You can also try FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover). It's a blue gel, wipe it on, hose it off. It takes out yellowing from salt water, rust stains, etc. Probably not as strong as muriatic, but doesn't burn your hands either :smiletest:

baja200merk
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
on/off works too but its just over priced muratic acid. Nothings cheaper then a gallon of muratic and that gallon will last years.

cutwater
03-31-2010, 09:39 AM
I forgot about on/off - doesn't that disolve barnicles too? Last time I used muriatic was to remove concrete residue from a piece of heavy equipment and the stuff was potent - the slightest drop burned your skin - wore heavy rubber gloves. I don't remember, is it available in different strengths? Maybe I was using something more concentrated...

bullwhipjkg
03-31-2010, 10:30 AM
walmart look in boat section hull cleaner worked charms on the ally no more yellow but once you use it you gotta do it again later in year

coslanzetta
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
rust -aid works great too...

D.B.S
03-31-2010, 08:49 PM
West Marine has a product that works great and has no acid, can't remember the name, I use it on my boat.

baja200merk
03-31-2010, 11:44 PM
I forgot about on/off - doesn't that disolve barnicles too? Last time I used muriatic was to remove concrete residue from a piece of heavy equipment and the stuff was potent - the slightest drop burned your skin - wore heavy rubber gloves. I don't remember, is it available in different strengths? Maybe I was using something more concentrated...

I have no clue if it comes in different strengths. I get it from home depot works great for pulling aluminum off steel sleeves too:eek::leaving:

Kevin:thumbsup:

RobF
04-01-2010, 07:44 AM
we apply the acid with a roller, you will use less, get better coverage, and more importantly not have airborne acid that you could get a burn from.
I have a acid burn on my face from that crap its nasty.

to prevent it- nothing I have come across will prevent it.
We tried waxing, we did half a transom and not the other half and it looked no different later on.

crimson merc
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
walmart look in boat section hull cleaner worked charms on the ally no more yellow but once you use it you gotta do it again later in year

I also would recommend this stuff, I used it on the bottom of a mirage before it looked good afterwards.....

I guess Ima go with the muratic acid this time though.

Dargo
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Back in my college days working at a Marina, I got stuck acid washing ALOT of boats. That stuff is very nasty! We used to put it in an agricultural peticide type sprayer and apply it that way, then power wash the stuff off. Works great. I remember one time looking for a bucket in the shop to wash a boat with. I found one with about 2 cups of liquid in the bottom, bent down to give it a sniff and find out what it was. Yep, the acid left over from someone mixing up a new batch. Just about dropped me right there. Like breathing fire. We ended up going to something "eco-friendly, non-toxic, blah, blah" the next year but didn't work nearly as well.

baja200merk
04-01-2010, 10:52 AM
just dont leave the bottle open it will rust every metal object within 10ft :eek:

crimson merc
04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Well since i gotta go to home depot to get it, imma pick up one of the mexicans that hang out by the door, to do the work for me

baja200merk
04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Now your thinking with your dip stick jimmy! :thumbsup:

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2009/2/castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

crimson merc
04-01-2010, 11:56 AM
LOL. Are you and beef coming up to Ft. Rucker this year?

RobF
04-01-2010, 12:53 PM
last I checked the home depot over here for muratic acid they stopped selling it because they said someone had gotten burned from it.

Just buy the on/off from a marine supply store

Liberator*21
04-03-2010, 05:28 AM
last I checked the home depot over here for muratic acid they stopped selling it because they said someone had gotten burned from it.

Just buy the on/off from a marine supply store

You gotta be kid'n me.............I guess they'll stop selling tools to if someone hits their finger with a hammer.................

RobF
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
The way the guy explained it to me was it fell off the shelf and burned someone, not they had taken it home and done it

Liberator*21
04-03-2010, 09:04 AM
The way the guy explained it to me was it fell off the shelf and burned someone, not they had taken it home and done it

I understand that, but do you hear what they're saying..........

A 3 pound sledge hammer fell off it's display shelf and hit a customer on the foot.............................We therefore will not carry anymore sledge hammers.....................

RobF
04-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I understand your point, keep it out in the garden section on a low shelf, but im sure its also not worth the liability either.

petehubbell
06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Muratic acid is available at swimming pool suppply stores. I'ts nasty stuff. PH

petehubbell
08-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Attwood hull cleaner, available at walmart worked great at getting rid the rid of the riverwater stains on my hull but it's kinda pricey. PH

DanielC
08-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Muratic acid is hydrochloric acid.
I have used a mixture of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, and hydrogen peroxide. (the medical stuff you use on a cut) Look for the Lysol that lists hydrochloric acid as one of it's ingredients.
It also helps if you can wash the bottom of the boat before it can dry, right after pulling it out of the water, at the ramp.
In my experience, waxing the bottom of the boat does make it easier to wipe the algae growth off the bottom of the boat, for a while.
I have heard that waxing the bottom of the boat can cause gelcoat blisters to form, but I do not know if that is true, or not.

Is was already said, but keep it off metal parts of the boat, and the trailer.

petehubbell
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
The same guy that told me about Attwood also said he'd used TidyBowl before! lol PH

Bruster
08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I use foaming wheel cleaner. It has a little acid in it, but it won't hurt anything else. The "Works" bathroom cleaner works too. I just cleaned the bottom of my Mastercraft, it took 5 minutes and one bottle of wheel cleaner. Using muratic acid will etch the top layer off of your cement and rust everything it touches. It has it's place, but cleaning the bottom of your boat in your drive isn't one of them.

delawarerick
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
As long as the water is not arround a chicken plant on/off worked for us. Chicken blood stains for good. On/off can do wonders on a galvanized trailor. Rick

XstreamVking
08-14-2010, 05:34 AM
I have been using some stuff called rustaid. Get it at home depot, etc. Spray it on with a little water on the surface. The stuff isn't easy on the finish but will remove any stain. Main ingredient is oxalic acid. Keep the trailer and boat wet while using any strong stuff to keep it diluted a little.

RiceKiller
08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
You can go to a truck stop and get a gallon of aluminum cleaner for about 12$ and spray it on and let it set for 5 minutes and spray it off and it will look great I think its called Alluma Brite

Powerplay25
08-31-2010, 03:36 PM
I've found the best way to apply Muratic acid/ On-Off is by using a boat wash brush on a 3' pole. Just use a few ounces in a plastic bucket and dip the brush in and apply to the bottom of the boat. Application is much easier and keeps you a little further from the stuff so you don't choke on it or drip on your hands.

VELOCITOY
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I just discovered a product that most hardware stores carry called ACID MAGIC...I have used all the products you guys talked about, and this stuff is awesome(r)...and it's only $12 bux a gallon...I am going to try the roller thing...that sounds a little more economical than brush dipping...

RobF
10-07-2010, 09:29 AM
once you use the roller method you will never use a brush again

VELOCITOY
10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
...I did use a cheap floor sponge mop that slowly "disintegrated" after 6 or so uses, but, worked pretty good... How do the paint rollers "stand-up"...? Good info here..thanx...

CKMATE225
10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I used some stuff called "EZON /EZOFF. I got it from west marine, its supposed to be enviromentally friendly, But it also says dont get it on you hands, clothes, pets or sheep ( if you happpen to have sheep in you boat :):):) ) I have to say, It work great. I rolled it on waited 5-10 mins and hosed it off. But it was 17 bucks a bottle. I just used it yesterday. you have to make sure the scum line is completely dry though, or you will dilute it, it still works wet but its not as effective.

MBOWERS
11-20-2010, 09:12 AM
try A/C coil cleaner it has muriatic acid in it but has additives designed to attack mold fungus , that is what the brown is on the bottom of your boat. and is the only thing that will take green allergy off the bottom of a boat stored in the water for long periods of time. and to help keep in from coming back as fast put some kind of wax on the bottom and sides. the acids etch the surface making microscopic holes in the surface that allow the mold, fungus grow, and catches dirt in the water that gives it a place to stick to.

ripstop
11-27-2010, 01:33 PM
CLR does a great job just roll it on or brush it the stain just goes away.

buelldave
02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
I use a cheap bug sprayer to put the acid on the bottom

baja200merk
02-17-2011, 12:00 AM
buy a gallon of muratic acid from home depot, roll or spray on let it sit and hose it off. Works awesome just keep it off your aluminum trailer.

gamble1
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Citric acid....... I get mine from a pool supply store. It comes in a 2lb bag in powder form. It's designed for removing stains on fiberglass/gel coat pools. I mix about a pound in a bug sprayer and spray the hull. Let it sit for 45 min or so then spray it again. Sometimes I run a long handled brush over it it's evenly "wet". Let it sit for another 20 min and hose off. All tannin stain or rust stains disappear and it won't hurt any metal surfaces on the trailer or kill your grass.

DanielC
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
240790Just in case somebody missed my post, Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, and Hydrogen Peroxide, mixed about 50/50.
The Hydrogen peroxide cost me $1.99 for a quart bottle, and the Lysol cost me the same. I used about a cup of each, and used a sponge to wipe the solution on the boat, and scrub a little bit. I had some solution left over, and I dumped it into the basement toilet to clean it.

tarbaby
08-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Hull cleaner from Walmart

hemi2005
08-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Hull cleaner from Walmart

I don't mean to get off topic, but tarbaby are you related to nig nog? Come on now...It's just a joke. :D

spbutler
10-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Once you get it clean put Nu Finish car polish on the bottom. It's cheap and sold at most Automotive stores and Wal Mart. I have left my boat in for over 4 days and the brown scum washes off with soap or Amazing Roll Off.

1fastg3
10-06-2012, 07:14 PM
muratic acid Is 100% the best . or SNOW BOWL . if you dont like the smell ..

rev.ronnie
02-18-2013, 07:14 PM
I like a product called Captain Chomp hull cleaner. It is biodegradable. Not that I'm a tree higher, but it happens to be Eco friendly. It works great for me. We have a lot of minerals in our lake and I wash the boats a lot. I but the stuff by the case and apply it with a deck sprayer.

captadhos
08-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Put the on/off or Muradic acid in a spray bottle, it goes a lot further, just don't do it on a windy day.