PDA

View Full Version : removing paint from gelcoat

bulldogdaddy
10-04-2002, 08:20 PM
i'm getting ready to look at a boat that is the same hull i had 20 some yrs ago. i asked how the metalflake was and he said it didn't have it,must have been painted.Now i'm wondering is it difficult to remove the paint to the original gel and flake,any help is greatly appreciated

Jeff_G
10-06-2002, 01:54 PM
You may be able to use a fiberglass paint remover. Not a normal type. If the boat was painted it is probably because the finish was bad or ruined. I would buy it on the basis the metalflake is no good.

bulldogdaddy
10-06-2002, 04:42 PM
now if i want to go back with a gel,metalflake boat,what has to be done,remove all paint gelcoat,what would the process be,sounds like alot of work and money but i would like to have the boat back to original as possible

Hooty
10-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Try some plain ole laquer thinner and see if it'll remove the paint. It won't hurt the gelcoat. Don' use paint stripper 'cause it'll get into the gelcoat.

c/6

Hooty

bulldogdaddy
10-06-2002, 06:51 PM
thanks for the replies,but if the flake is bad can it just be clearcoated again?

Hooty
10-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Sure. Don' try to use gelcoat though. Paint it with a translucent red, blue, green etc, urethane and let the metal flake show through it.

c/6

Hooty

getyouone
10-07-2002, 11:28 AM
the long and the short from someone that dose it for a living. 20 yrs ago thats way back there for metal flake, most boats are polyflake, the problem is that the flakes cause the the clear gel to pit and the flakes start to show out of those pits. If it`s been painted with auto paint, go to a auto paint store (pro) and tell them you need some stirpper, it won`t hurt the gel, when you have it all stripped, there is a gel primer, you can also buy polyflake, mix it with clear gel, and 3 coats with an additive wet sand it, and shoot it with an auto clearcoat and your friends will say wowwwwwww.mike

Firestarter
10-07-2002, 11:53 AM
EZ-Off oven cleaner.

RT

Hooty
10-07-2002, 05:43 PM
I don't know what kind of stripper getyouone is talking about, but if it's like Easyoff, it's basically methylene chloride and if it is, not only will it f**k up the gelcoat, it will play hell with anything polyester, and this is from someone who's been doing this **** for 30+yrs.

c/6

Hooty

Racemore
10-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Done a few Metalflake boats,if the finish never deteriorated to the flake you might be able to bring it back though the paint removal.I've used easy off to remove enamel lettering but it won't cut urethane.If you can get to the reclear point I have scuffed with 320 and shot 3 coats of clear urethane,wet sanded and buffed looks orginal.It still will scatch easy like paint will.
The most durable resto is to finish with Clear finishing resin 50/50 with Duratec Crystal Clear additive,cut it with SLOW laquer thinner.180grit 1 tack/light and 1 heavy coat It will not repel easily like Urethane,lays down better and is harder than straight clear resin.wet sands and buffs out if you wish and you can walk on the deck like without worrying about scratches.Probably twice as thick clearcoat or more.:cool: Good Luck!

ps If you spray gelcoat on an exterior the Duratec blends with the color and gives a deeper harder finish also and you don't need any wax added which makes for easy sanding.:cool:

bulldogdaddy
10-08-2002, 09:31 AM
hey,just a thanks to everyone who posted a reply,at least i know there is hope to get the original out of it,but i'm still waiting for the guy to send the pics of the boat,gonna go try to buy it sunday,no motor or trailer,now i've got a s--tload more questions for everyone,let the insigations begin,lmao,and btw,i asked this same question on another boat webpage and didn't get any replies,you guys are great:D

Racemore
10-08-2002, 05:22 PM
If you do strip it down and it has spots where the flake is bad those areas can be reflaked before the clear is sprayed.There is generally aways a way if you really want to do it.On some boats I have taped the flake stripes on the deck that were badly damaged and sprayed a solid color then cleared the whole boat.Just some ideas.Or you could call my buddy and order you a new Quartershot T-3:D :cool:

Jeff_G
10-09-2002, 08:45 AM
I have used fiberglass paint remover for years without hurting the gelcoat. You can get it in any marine store.
You have to understand the metalflake is small pieces of either metal or plastic. As the finish wears the flake becomes exposed. The plastic flake also fades faster. The broken ends are of a different color than the original body. You can clearcoat but that is really only a temporary fix and needs lots of tlc. To see what the finish will look like just wipe the area with a dampened rag. If you like it then clear coat. If not repaint.

bulldogdaddy
10-27-2002, 07:47 PM
it is the same color as my old boat!,the paint that is on it was a poor job!alot of cracks in it and its peeling off the metalflake already,racemore,i'll probably be asking you alot of more questions,as well as everyone here!:D

Racemore
10-27-2002, 08:32 PM
That could be a good thing.If it's cracked and peeling then the surface wasn't sanded well enough or corse enough.get a single edge razorblade and see if it will peel the paint easy.I scraped the clear off of a 23 eliminator deck and my boat.It is very teadious and time consuming but it can be done.one side of the blade will strip easier than the other and won't scratch too bad.This might not help you bring back the metalflake unless there is still enough clear left on the boat to prep for reclear.The case with my boat is the guy didn't knowthat he could bring the shine back to the gelcoat.When I got it it had a few spots the clear was peeling,after 6 months it was everywhere.The old quicky to sell it trick.It has no clear on the deck now and looks good for 19yrs old.Good luck.Lonnie :cool:

bulldogdaddy
10-27-2002, 08:36 PM
just had a guy from port charlotte ,my bro in laws painter,told me,good luck and hope your not in a hurry,lol,no rush here!i;ll keep everyone posted!

Scott
10-28-2002, 09:44 AM
That original "style" flake is still available. My guess is that it was bad and thus the re-paint. I would guess that anything you do to try and "re-use" that original flake is going to be a waste of your time. Again, my guess, strip it bare and start from scratch. Lonnie got lucky, his clear was useable. In the case with the Baja, it too had the heavy metalflake (also Blue) but the clear was gone, and you could "feel" the flake. May be worth a trip to the paint jobber to talk with them once you can get a good look at what you have to work with.
In our area the best of the best is:

Superior Paint
2048 Lord Baltimore Dr. (Security Blvd. next to Ford dealer)
Phone 410-944-3266 ext. 14 (fax 410-944-3359)
Charles Morgan (Charlie)

Charlie knows his stuff and the best part is they don't mind taking the time to discuss every step. They did everything but actually apply the paint for the Baja. Some paint jobbers don't want to take the time to "hold your hand" if your not a body shop thats going to give them quantity sales. Their Technical guys are true paint masters. Wait till you see the cars they drive! twin Dodge Stratus purchased by the company, but painted by the Tech. rep's themselves. Beautiful!

Last time I was there I saw the heavy flake was still available, maybe House of Kolors? They carry EVERYTHING you'll need but the elbow grease!

Whatever you decide to do, and I know you've been told this already...Take Your Time and Do It Corectly you'll not be dissapointed!

bulldogdaddy
12-09-2002, 07:56 PM
just pulled up fur xtb