PDA

View Full Version : Drag pipe header

evenpar
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I recently seen a exaust drag pipe setup on liberator21s' post. He had it setup on a 3.0 merc. and I would like to try it on a 2.5!! Anybody else done this if so any info would help.:confused:

RONNIE
03-07-2010, 10:03 AM
waist of time

evenpar
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I guess ur right but it did look cool...... I guess if I can't gain any power then why waste my time!!:leaving:

D.B.S
03-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I missed that one, I don't know what to say,:confused:

Torture
03-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi,
You need these instead.. :reddevil:

Regards

evenpar
03-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Ha!! :eek:

Mr.Rude
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Someone one here was just talking about a supertrapp muffler on his JohnnyRude...

Liberator*21
03-20-2010, 05:01 AM
waist of time

Not if you have time to waste...........

I did that as a fun project and nothing more.........................:cheers:

BUSHWACKER
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Not if you have time to waste...........

I did that as a fun project and nothing more.........................:cheers:

:cheers: I agree, it's fun to do silly things here and there :thumbsup:. But how does it sound? :eek: Post a vid w/ sound :iagree:
I started my 650cc Triumph up once in the cellar, I put 2 2" real long copper plumbing pipes on the straight exhaust to get it outside...oh it was loud! :D
Didn't care what the neighbors thought either. :p

Liberator*21
03-23-2010, 06:33 AM
:cheers: I agree, it's fun to do silly things here and there :thumbsup:. But how does it sound? :eek: Post a vid w/ sound :iagree:
I started my 650cc Triumph up once in the cellar, I put 2 2" real long copper plumbing pipes on the straight exhaust to get it outside...oh it was loud! :D

I've got a brand new power head that I have to break-in, so an in the water video will be awhile. I'll try to post up a small clip on the hose in a couple of weeks. I'm going into surgery this morning so I'll be laid up for awhile.

opsdave
03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Can't wait to hear it run! I wish it was complete when I picked up your old powerhead. I am sure it sounds sweet in person. :thumbsup:

WATERWINGS
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
:

That reminds me of the Cheech and Chong movie where Tommy Chong has his bike in the living room, and the pipe out the window blowing into his neighbors rose bushes.......lol

Anybody got that clip saved up?

How about John Lentzcow's (sp?) drag motor with 6 expansion chambers hanging off the back>

I heard when he cranked the motor in the shop, it blew everything off the walls.....

evenpar
03-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I have got to try this!! I know it sounds awesome!!!:eek: Hey it looks like you used cut peices of header.. Then welded to the plate with holes drilled in the mid?? What size hole is in the mid?? Hate to be a copycat but that is cool!! Any info you can give would help!:thumbsup:

Hope the surgery turns out well!!!

Liberator*21
03-28-2010, 06:44 PM
evenpar,

Surgery went well, just sore as hell now, thanks for asking.

The pipes are 1 3/4" OD, 6061-T6 Aluminum Tubing. It sounds pretty good when I had my stock can with a 5" cut off the bottom. I'm now running a new and bigger motor with a HydroTec Tuner, so it should be twice as loud as before...........:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil: pipe

I placed my holes in the mid where the most meat was in the casting. Two holes centered off a template you'll have to make in order to get both sides equal and the same. Make a 1/8" thk. aluminum plate to weld the tubes to. When welding the tubes into the 1/8" plate, leave approx. 1/4" of the 1 3/4 pertruding from the 1/8" plate. The 1/4" of pipe sticking out acts as a pilot and helps take any load placed onto the tubes from moving water. The tubes are Tig Welded or welded with a spool gun onto the 1/8" plate from the outside. The assembly is then held onto the mid using 2 1/4-20 stainless steel button head screws.

Hope this helps ya............:D

evenpar
03-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm gonna give a try and i don't think it will be a problem. But I'm gonna use stainless sanitary pipe (very thin and light ) because I have a ton of it. The plate out of 12gauge stainless and maybe cut the tips at a sharp angle to add to the cool factor:reddevil:

Thanks again gary:thumbsup:

Liberator*21
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm gonna give a try and i don't think it will be a problem. But I'm gonna use stainless sanitary pipe (very thin and light ) because I have a ton of it. The plate out of 12gauge stainless and maybe cut the tips at a sharp angle to add to the cool factor:reddevil:

Thanks again gary:thumbsup:

Ok, I took a small clip of the motor running on the hose, can removed and running a HydroTec Tuner. The drag pipes really don't come into play until it's in the water. Right now the exhaust gases will seek the path of least resistance. Pardon my smoke, brand new motor on break-in pre-mix oil ratio.........Holy Smoke Batman...................:D:D

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/?action=view&current=Motor.flv

Good luck bro...............:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mikemanic
06-06-2011, 04:38 AM
No matter how silly it sounds, while this as a project/experimient you did learn something, right? So I wont call it a waste of time.