PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS Rebel T2i Announcement

Slider
02-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Where does it end? I am a Canon guy, but really, 18-megapixel?

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/02/canon-eos-rebel.php

Euroski
02-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Makes me feel outdated with my 6mp DSR

Rigaud
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
From 10mp and up theirs not much difference for average photo. I still have an older Canon D30 @ 3.6MP and you won't see the difference but I did get good optics. I worked for 15 years in underwater kinectics and it was always about having good optics first. But think about what this affects the market coming out with bigger pixel camera's. Your pics take up more memory on your card so bigger memory cards are required. Same with your hard drives.

Your images are only as good as your optics. ;)

Slider
02-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a Canon 40D and the images are large enough already at 10MP, not to mention if you are taking RAW images. They take forever to open in Photoshop and I have a pretty decent rig. And my hard drive space is through the roof. Now double the size of the photos and add HD video on top of that. Grant it, hard drive space is cheap, but still...

Rigaud
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I only shoot RAW and keep a copy on 2 drives which allows me to always have the original. Once you work the pic and resize you can't go back so always a good practice. I use a G5 Mac and I upload 30 pics at a time pretty fast. It depends on how much RAM you have mostly too.

Riverman
02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Your images are only as good as your optics. ;)I'm no photographer but this sure is a given. The difference between a Sony and a Canon point and shoot is amazing.

Kind of like building a stereo - spend the money on the player (record or CD) and skimp on the amp and speakers at first! :thumbsup:

RockFixer
02-22-2010, 07:46 AM
The low light capacity on the new camera sensors are so different from what they used to be (e.g. on the 30D), and that IS a real big change especially if you shoot under water or wherever lighting conditions are bad.

With ISO speeds of up to 102,000 you will get amazing pictures, where you used to come up a lot of color noise. Also the noise reduction on new cameras are far better than on the oldies.

Yes, itīs in the lenses, but you would be wise in putting some money towards a modern (i.e. less than a year old) camera body. For now Canon has the best entry level bodies, Nikonīs D3S is also very good, but expensive. Also Canons video outperforms that of Nikon any day.

Also you will get video footage that compares to film rather than video (although it will be much more work to handle that a standard camcorder; the beautiful shallow depth of field also means you have to be very careful where the focus is, also it has no autofocus when shooting)

Using Photoshop or Elements is not the right way to go for most users and occasions. Aperture (by Apple) or Lightroom (Adobe) lets you handle large amounts of BIG raw files with ease (I have 100k+ RAW pictures that are 25MB each). You can do most of the processing you normally would do to your photos, and IF you really need to do some heavier photo manipulation, exporting to Photoshop and back is a breeze. Aperture 3 is clearly better, but you can only get it for the Mac.

As for computers, the iMac is a bargain, with lots and lots of power and an excellent screen. It will be my next computer (now running on a dual quadcore MacPro). No use updating your old pc, when you get the best possible for usd 1500. It also includes a superb video editing app that everyone can use: iMovie. It may not have all the bells and whistles of itīs bigger sibling, FinalCut, but itīs the fastest tool for compositing beautiful cuts from lots and lots of video footage - typical for the hobbyist, for whom ALL the material of summers past is important (as opposed to professionals, who usually need only a short project at a time).

Regards
- G
MacPro Dual Quad core, MacBook Air, Canon 5D MkII