PDA

View Full Version : re-painting boat have questions.

DryMartini
01-16-2010, 08:44 PM
This year, I plan on restoring completely, my 13' Mini Hawk.
The first step is paint. As of now, the boat is all white with some greenish/blue color. I want to re do all the paint.

I think i have to take all the graphics off, which is that greenish/blue stripe. The transom is painted with that color though. And i don't even know if the rest of the hull is painted (it's white), or is it just the fiberglass?

Once all the graphics are off, i should take the black windscreen the boat has, the boat cover snap on's, the railings on each side.

The interior will be painted the same color too.

Once everything is taken off the boat (if it is paint the boat has), what material is best for sanding.

Paint: Want some sort of smooth, shiny/glossy paint. What type of paint?

Painting: Spray/Air brush it on? Paint brush it on? Without messing it up of course.

I think that's all i need for now? I'm going to be writing all the comments/suggestions from you down so when I go out to do all this, i'm all set.

Thanks!
-sam

Going to be a big, and rewarding project!

SKATER241
05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
well since no one has answered you i will.i manage a body shop and paint for fun.most likely your boat is gel coated.this can be painted over.first step is to remove everything you can.dont tape around anything if possible.next if all you want to do is paint it and not any body work.get a good quality wax and grease remover and follow the instructions.you want to get all of the foriegn contaminents off the boat before sanding.now sand the entire hull with four hundred grit wet sand paper.you will want to apply a sealer before painting and epoxy works the best.you will be spraying everything.brushes and rollers are for houses.use a urethane enamel paint-base coat clear coat.apply the color until you get an even coverage.the idea is to apply just enough color to cover what is underneath.i wouldnt try a metallic color unless you have some experience painting.after the color is applied allow it to flash(not sticky anymore)and then apply three to four coats of clear coat.this stuff is catalyized and very toxic so get a good respirator and make sure you have good ventilation.if you will be applying decals wait at least six weeks or you may get bubbling from the solvents in the paint.
hope that helps