PDA

View Full Version : I have a bunch of questions, HELP!!!

Jeff B
04-22-2001, 01:32 AM
Lost # 6 Friday, looks like it busted a ring. When I bought the motor I was told it was a 92, (serial number 0D110661 on the motor) I have also been told that 92's had two bolt main blocks. This block has five hex looking head bolts by the injectors, does this mean it is a four bolt main? There is a number of 9472713 on the left side of the block toward the top, does this number mean anything? When did Merc stop using Mahle pistons? Last time a shop rebuilt it they installed one new piston (part #2717-827353T6) is this the Wiseco piston that everyone is having trouble with? I did a search on the old Scream and Fly board and found a topic on Hypereutectic pistons, any one have any information on these pistons? My browser could not open the page! Is there any marking on the heads to tell what CC they are? My compression gauge read 150 on the good five and 50 on the bad one. I have a service manual for motors 0G857020 and above, any one want to trade manuals, (LOL)it is for a 280. Would the torque specs be the same? This is the first time I have attempted to rebuild it myself, so I really appreciate any reply's!! Plus I wanted to thank Jay Smith for the information he gave me on the phone Friday, he was very helpful, and very unselfish in giving out help, which I NEED!! Thanks to all that replies!!! More questions to come, I 'm sure.

Delta
04-22-2001, 02:39 AM
Hey Jeff:
Ya need to buy a manual from Mercury.Nuff said on that!
My browser doesn't open those search results either.When I get a result,I note the date,then go to the archives and choose the block where that date is.It'll open that.Then hit 'Ctrl' on your keyboard and the letter 'f' at the same time.Enter your keyword,and hit 'enter'.Tedious,but it works! Good luck,Delta

myron
04-22-2001, 10:14 AM
Jeff, make sure that you determine what failed, I think you will find rings don't break to often, not saying that it didn't but look to see if the ring locating pin came out first. Also do you know if that was on of the pistons that was replaced? On the upper part will be a date code as to when that block was built, it might have been replaced at some point.Good luck

Jeff B
04-22-2001, 12:40 PM
When I said busted a ring, I should have said that I thought the locating pin came out. I am sure that is not detonation. There is a mark at the top of the exhaust port (in the sleeve) where something hit it. The best way I know how to desribe the piston is, that if it was some hard butter and you jabbed a butter knife into it! The head looks the same, I would say 80% of the damage is on the exhaust port side.

Jeff B
04-23-2001, 01:05 AM
I have the right manual coming my way, and the 280 manual is sold. Looking for a left head casting number 18789-03, or a pair of 34CC heads but no tighter. What is my best option on the pistons, the new style Merc's or send them to Randy Pierson (The Smuggler) and let him work them? waiting on a flywheel puller but I have looked into the exhaust port and can see about 3/4 of a inch of the top ring is missing, it's not missing, it's inbedded in my piston and head! Thanks again!!

Dave Estes
04-23-2001, 08:49 AM
Gus Hagler at Sensless Racing has been pinning pistons for years. You can reach him at:
Screen Name: gus@dogg.com
Work: 931-647-6478
459 Lafayette Rd.
Clarksville, TN.

Balzy
04-23-2001, 08:52 AM
is Gus doing? Top or side? Does he do the coating right away too?

Rickracer
04-24-2001, 05:23 AM
If you need to know more, email me.