PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Cee Bee / Avenger?

Mark75H
09-23-2002, 08:21 PM
Danny can you help us out? Do you have any more pictures of these?

Powercat
09-29-2002, 09:56 AM
The hydro's like this were first made as Powercats
from the Bellflower Calif. plant until 1962. Then
all Powercat production was moved to Texas. Bobby
Brown,who was Ray Leger's half brother and had been instrumental in the design of this boat, did not want to move to Texas. He started CeeBee Mfg.
with a set of molds for this boat. They were marketed on the west coast as Avenger Boats. Powercat still produced the same boat for the rest of the country as Powercats. In 1966 the Texas plant burned to the ground and the hydro molds were not remade by Powercat so after that date all hydros were made as Avenger. I do have photos of some of these but am always looking for more. The one you posted was new to me.
Danny Leger

Powercat
09-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Here are some that I have
Danny Leger

Powercat
09-29-2002, 12:31 PM
another
This is the early version that had the bubble
deck and no splash well.. Racers only had these
and I have found none that have survived to today as of yet.
Danny

Powercat
09-29-2002, 12:36 PM
This was a dealer demo boat that one of my Powercat owners group members got to take out for a weekend back in the 60's and he still had the photos from that day.

Powercat
09-29-2002, 12:37 PM
another

Powercat
09-29-2002, 12:42 PM
This is actually a 4pt model that was a variation
of the 3pt. Very few of these were made and pictures are scarce.. This was the last of the
Powercat racing effort. This one had Chrylser power and I was told it was a factory rig that they put together.
Danny

Powercat
09-29-2002, 12:52 PM
I have posted this one here before

Powercat
10-16-2002, 06:14 PM
Ok guys.. Need your opinions
We have several of these now in our owners group and most of them are being restored with single or twin 6cyl motors from the
period.. Some of us want to find out what this boat would do as
as drag rig with modern V-6 power.. If this boat ran easily to 100-105 mph for the quarter with twin stock 100's running speedmasters 1:1 and no power trim or tilt what would it do with a single 350 HP drag motor or a pair of 200 HP v-6's... Any ideas ??? For legal ODBA, at what speed are capsules required?
Danny Leger

Powercat
10-16-2002, 06:51 PM
Something like this ??
Danny Leger:D

Raceman
10-16-2002, 07:03 PM
"If this boat ran easily to 100-105 mph for the quarter with twin stock 100's running speedmasters 1:1 and no power trim or tilt what would it do with a single 350 HP drag motor or a pair of 200 HP v-6's"

Get somebody real wet?????

barnal
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have any old brochure pictures of the late 70's early 80's Cee Bee Avenger bubble decks?

I am interested in aquiring some old brochures to go with my restoration project. either the 16' 7'' or 18' models will do.

You can reply to bret.arnal@mtsallstream.com if you know anything.

I have tried contacting the owner of CeeBee (Bob Brown) but I believe him to be retired now.

Thanks.

Bret

Powercat
04-18-2011, 10:06 AM
http://www.powercatboat.com/Avenger/CeeBee04.html
This was supposed to be a 1976 Brochure but I don't
believe the boat your describing is in it. I don't have
any later ones, but I am planing in the next year to
make a trip to SoCal and will be for sure visiting with
Bobby and may be able get some more literature.
Danny Leger

Does anyone have any old brochure pictures of the late 70's early 80's Cee Bee Avenger bubble decks?

I am interested in aquiring some old brochures to go with my restoration project. either the 16' 7'' or 18' models will do.

You can reply to bret.arnal@mtsallstream.com if you know anything.

I have tried contacting the owner of CeeBee (Bob Brown) but I believe him to be retired now.

Thanks.

Bret

barnal
04-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I Danny,

Thank you for the reply... yeah if you hear anything please do let me know... I'm a huge Cee bee BubbleDeck fan... I am in the process of buying a 1980 Bubble Deck that has been on our lake in Manitoba Canada since I was very young. I've always been crazy about the boat. It's a two-tone green with gold pin-striping... an incredible looking outfit.

If you have an email address I'll send you a couple pictures of it... Let me know. Maybe we could stay in touch that way if you end up finding some brochures.

Do you own an Avenger? Got any pictures?

Sincerely,

Bret

Powercat
04-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Bret:
I don't own an Avenger, but Bobby is my uncle and I have kinda lost touch
with the west coast side of my family, thus I am planing to make the trip out
west to re-connect. I would certainly like to see the photos of your boat.
My email address is -------[ danny@powercatboat.com ] --------
Thanks,
Danny Leger

I Danny,
Thank you for the reply... yeah if you hear anything please do let me know... I'm a huge Cee bee BubbleDeck fan... I am in the process of buying a 1980 Bubble Deck that has been on our lake in Manitoba Canada since I was very young. I've always been crazy about the boat. It's a two-tone green with gold pin-striping... an incredible looking outfit.

If you have an email address I'll send you a couple pictures of it... Let me know. Maybe we could stay in touch that way if you end up finding some brochures.

Do you own an Avenger? Got any pictures?

Sincerely,

Bret

Powercat
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Since this thread started back in 2002 I do have an update in response to Raceman's post from back then..
We now have a coulple of 3pt hyrdros running modern V-6 power. A full stock weight version with a good
260 that has hit 96mph so far. Another lighter weight hull with a strong 245 carb motor that has run 116 mph.
Also before his passing, Beaver Tyler had run his 3pt with a OMC V-6 and we did not get a speed from him
but the photos I do have of it at speed show it handles it well. Haven driven the 260 boat myself and
seeing the videos and photos of the others, I still maintain this boat can handle speeds into the 120's
and serve as an excellent outboard drag boat platform. Beyond that remains an unanswered question.
Danny Leger

"If this boat ran easily to 100-105 mph for the quarter with twin stock 100's running speedmasters 1:1 and no power trim or tilt what would it do with a single 350 HP drag motor or a pair of 200 HP v-6's"
Get somebody real wet?????