PDA

View Full Version : best NIkon or Cannon ???

rockdamage
12-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm looking for some info on the best camera? Want to be able to take Pictures at speed.. I want to do some action shots, and My camera just don't have the goods. Should do I buy used from someone upgrading or just break the bank and go new. Not sure what I need to start with.

Mr. Demeanor
12-14-2009, 01:36 AM
You dont need to break tha bank. I just picked up a Cannon SX10IS for $300. 20X image stabilized optical zoom.
I took this pic with my older Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 back in 2005. I was very impressed with the fast action ability of this camera from day one. It is only 4megapixel and 10x optical zoom. I still have this camera and still love it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/MrDemeanor/Boating/07-03-05019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/MrDemeanor/Boating/07-03-05066.jpg

cltch
12-14-2009, 04:12 AM
It all depends on how much shooting you do, what you have now, etc... If you already are shooting with an SLR then you may want to stick to the brand to keep your lenses as they are typically the biggest investment you will make. It is back and forth on here. A lot shoot Nikon. I have been shooting a Canon but am just getting ready to step over to Digital for my SLR (Im behind the game on this) and am not sure which I will go with. My "glass" isn't the best and won't be much of a loss to me to switch so I will be looking carefully at both.

Greg has a section on the board dedicated to photography here is a link:
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Some of the more recent D/SLR's have been discussed here as well.

Let us know what kind and how demanding your shooting will be.

pyro
12-14-2009, 05:46 AM
For shooting out of another boat at speed, you need fast lenses and fast shutter speeds.
Get close enough to the other boat so you don't need to rely on long zoom, because it amplifies motion shake and the resulting blur. Stabilization or VR will have limited ability to keep your shots sharp if the water is rough. Shoot as fast of shutter speeds as you can, and use some ISO boost if it's not bright and sunny.

If you want a chunky point-and-shoot camera, the Canon SX10IS mentioned above is a great camera for something that does it all.

If you go the SLR route, Nikon and Canon are both good.
I shoot Nikon, so I have some bias...

The Nikon D90 and a 2.8 80-200 lens will set you back about $1700-$2000.

Jay Smith
12-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Bought my wife a Nicon coolpix 4600 last year for Christmas and we have been having problems with it for the last month or so... Might be an isolated case BUT I wouldn't by another Nikon.....

Just like the inverter type HONDA 2000 watt generator I bought a couple of years back that took a dump 2 months after warranty was up...Won't be buying another one of those POS again either. Paid $999.00 and to fix the inverter part alone is over $750.00

Its amazing the prices these "TOP" brands charge and they give so little service. This camera was used on vacation and a few shots around the shop and the generator had MAYBE 20 hrs total running times.

Hell if these top brands fail so quickly why not buy the generic?

Sorry didn't mean to take over your post , just venting.
Jay

dhoday
12-14-2009, 08:19 AM
I agree with Jay I have a nikon 7600 right out of warranty always gets a blur warning what a piece of junk just my experience dont buy th small Nikon point and shoot are junk

hydroholic
12-14-2009, 08:38 AM
We had 2 Cannons previously and had nothing but problems out of them. They took great pics but something was always screwing up. I bought my wife a Nikon D-60 at the beginning of the summer. Came with the Nikkor 55-200mm lens and the Nikkor 18-55mm lens. Total price for the whole package was under $500. Takes great pictures ( I think it takes better pics than the Cannon's we had and both were $500+ with only one lens) and have never had any issues with it to this day. Seems like it may shoot a little faster than the Cannon's as well but pretty close to the same on the speed. So I will have to say, I will never buy another Cannon again!
Hydro

Jay Smith
12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Same issue , I can set this POS on a solid counter and hit shoot and it will read " blurry shot " .."Thought" I bought her the "best" but seems the high $$ is no better than the "K-Mart / Wally World" generic brands.. They ( NiKon ) won't get no more of my money..

Dang it just remembered bought the grandson a Nikon rifle scope for Christmas , I wanted to buy a Zeiss or a Leopold but he wanted the Nikon , hope that don't take a dump too...

Jay

Jay Smith
12-14-2009, 08:45 AM
OK , I am in the camera market ( Hand held , something for home use and you don't need a Hassenbland engineer to work ) Take CANNON and NIKON off the prospect list NOW what do I buy ???

Jay

pyro
12-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Jay, the small consumer point-and-shoot cameras are packed with features, but sometimes that's a bad thing. It's VERY easy to put the camera in any number of modes where it uses a slow shutter and/or NO flash, with very little besides a small icon to indicate the setting. Under these conditions, the camera may give a warning that the shutter speed is slow enough to cause blur with a hand-held shot. It has NOTHING to do with how you're holding it, and EVERYTHING to do with settings. They DON'T always go back to all full-auto each time you turn it off.

Nikon makes some pretty good small cameras.

Canon had a number of cameras with CCD failures (shake/hit it, and image cuts in and out), but those cameras (including those 6+ years old/obsolete) are all eligible for free factory service due to this known issue, even if they're out of warranty. That sounds like good customer service to me.

My favorite Canon point-and-shoot models are the SD870is, the SD890is, and the larger SX models (SX10is, SX20is, etc.) I tried out an SX indoors at Best Buy, forced the flash OFF, shook the hell out of it while shooting at 10x + zoom, and it took crisp, low-noise photos of distant customrs in the store. I was pretty impressed.

Kartracer
12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Jay, the small consumer point-and-shoot cameras are packed with features, but sometimes that's a bad thing. It's VERY easy to put the camera in any number of modes where it uses a slow shutter and/or NO flash, with very little besides a small icon to indicate the setting. Under these conditions, the camera may give a warning that the shutter speed is slow enough to cause blur with a hand-held shot. It has NOTHING to do with how you're holding it, and EVERYTHING to do with settings. They DON'T always go back to all full-auto each time you turn it off.

I just learned how hard a good point and shoot can be to use. I just picked up a new one to replace my old Kodak 6.1mp unit. For me it is honestly harder to get a good picture with this than my DSLR, due to the fact that I haven't read the manual and it has so many settings. Take some time to learn whatever camera you buy before you judge too much.

Mr. Demeanor
12-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Jay, look at the Konica/Minolta. I have a Dimage Z2 and my father has the newer Dimage Z5. We have an internet resale business and take thousands of pictires every year. The camera is used every day, has been dropped numerous times, glued and taped back together, and still takes wonderful pictures. Very easy to use. I took my fathers Z5 to France and shot about a thousand pics that all came out great. The Z5 has a 12x optical zoom. These cameras also are powered by AA batteries. I will not own a camera that needs a "special" battery. I use rechargeables.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/konica/minolta-dimage-z5/konica-minolta-dimage-z5-review.html

Ziemer
12-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I've had a couple of the Nikon Coolpix series cameras and I will never have another one. Had problems with the LCD's and the quality was never that great on any of them (S220, S550 etc.).

I recently bought a Canon A1000 point and shoot for $120 and it takes great pics for the money. I bought it to use on jobsites, which is why I didn't want to spend a lot, but now we use it all of the time. Only downside is that it uses (2) AA batteries rather than a re-chargeable lith-ion. Since I've bought mine they've come down in price and the newer A110 is now at $129.

Scream And Fly
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
My personal preferences, without getting into any details...

DSLR: Nikon (but Canon is just as good)
Point-and-shoot: Canon

I use a Canon Powershot SD1000 for everyday photos and it's a great little camera. I think I paid $150 for it three years ago. Here's some photos taken with my little Canon powershot:

http://i46.tinypic.com/s3pkp3.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2u95moj.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/o8e73c.jpg

pyro
12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
It seems that Canon's A-series cameras use AA battieries, and the S-series models use rechargeable Lithium packs.
The price differences between the models is well worth it. The Li-Ion-pack models are much smaller and lighter, and the pack has more capacity than several new sets of batteries.

jmc
12-14-2009, 10:56 PM
My personal preferences, without getting into any details...

DSLR: Nikon (but Canon is just as good)
Point-and-shoot: Canon

I use a Canon Powershot SD1000 for everyday photos and it's a great little camera. I think I paid $150 for it three years ago. Here's some photos taken with my little Canon powershot:

http://i46.tinypic.com/s3pkp3.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2u95moj.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/o8e73c.jpg

HaHa! Those are killer shots Greg. Its pictures like that that people say...."you must have a really expensive camera".
I love seeing quality pictures from P&S's.

rockdamage
12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I never thought I would get such great response! I was want to spend in the 500 dollar range. If I can catch aired out pics from 30yards away , it would be great. I'm a novice at best. I have the best coolpix you can buy now. Doesn't cut the mustard....

Scream And Fly
12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
A Nikon D3000 would do great for you. I would go for that for sure.

Scream And Fly
12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
HaHa! Those are killer shots Greg. Its pictures like that that people say...."you must have a really expensive camera".
I love seeing quality pictures from P&S's.

rockdamage
12-15-2009, 11:37 PM
headed to best buy and will soon be posting some hot rod outboard jet pics

Ziemer
12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
A Nikon D3000 would do great for you. I would go for that for sure.

I know Staples had the D3000 kit on sale for $499. :thumbsup:

Casey
12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
a buddy of mine just bought a D3000, 18-55 vr and a 55-200 vr at walmart for $699. with a non vr 55-200 it was only $625!

Sutphil
12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I just bought the Canon SD1200 point and shoot for my wife. We'll see how she likes it, but it looks like a great little pocket camera for the price.

Jay Smith
12-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I ended up with a Kodak point and shoot for $159.00 at Sams. What do I have to loose ? I've had the big $$ Nikon and it was a POS maybe this low ball type will works as well ? ( Hope better )

Jay

pyro
12-17-2009, 12:59 PM
On the topic of stores and selection...

From my experience, Wal-Mart only stocks last-year's unpopular models, the ones they can get cheaply in large quantity for higher margins.

For example, the Canon SD870is, SD890is have an easy, ergonomic control layout with a "shaped" control button that your fingers can "feel." You won't find those current models at Wal-Mart. They only carry the SD790 (has oddly-shaped cheap Razr-style "cutout" flat buttons and a STUPID rotary dial that your finger slips off the edge when you try to turn it), and the SD1200, which is a decent camera, but also has the flat, shapeless buttons, and it uses a play "switch" instead of a "button" (this will annoy you when you go to shoot and it's still in PLAY "mode".)

DON'T buy a camera without USING it in the store and comparing it to other models AND other stores. You won't always find the same selections. The "best deal" is NOT the most MP for the least $$, it's the camera that fits YOUR hand and is easy for YOU to use, AND happens to fit the budget. :)

1BadAction
12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
My Nikon S630 has been flawless, so all of you can KMA. :p

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6901/bigtreefrog7409.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1163/tejasroadtrip.jpg

Seems like Nikon makes some real junk in the lower range PS cameras, and Canon pawns off their junk to the chain stores to sell. lol. The point n shoot discussion on this thread is pointless anyways, for action shots, an SLR is the only way to go. After playing around with this camera on and off over the past year, I'm getting to the point that I can actually appreciate the adaptability that something like the D3000 will give me. I will probably end up getting one soon.

Sutphil
12-17-2009, 02:35 PM
When compared to the other pocket Canon's, the SD1200 has a comparable or better flash, lens quality, wide-angle and zoom. She won't use the additional features that the higher priced ones come with, such as HD video, plus she likes blue cameras.

Lanceonthelake
12-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Composition, Composition. It doesn't matter Nikon, Canon, you have to understand Composition.

My Nikon S630 has been flawless, so all of you can KMA. :p

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6901/bigtreefrog7409.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1163/tejasroadtrip.jpg

pyro
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
When compared to the other pocket Canon's, the SD1200 has a comparable or better flash, lens quality, wide-angle and zoom.

As purely personal opinion, I would strongly disagree.

The SD870is has a WIDER wide-angle than most of the other models, including the SD1000/SD1200, as well as another tad bit more zoom (maybe 3.6x vs 3x?) I recommended one of these for my neighbor's daughter for yearbook duty, and she loves it. I'm pretty sure the SD880 and 890 also have this lens set.

Most Best Buy locations are good for carrying the entire lines of camera models. It's a great place to test them out. It takes a side-by-side test and comparison to appreciate a lot of the functional and ergonomic differences. For example, the Canon models that use the play "button" (instead of the "play/video/shoot" selector switch) will quickly revert back to shooting mode if you tap the shutter button halfway. You won't lose the shot from the switch being left in play mode. The "switch" models will ignore you pressing the shutter button.

Do you ever shoot in dark or twilight conditions? Parties, bonfires? Close your eyes and see if you can still feel and identify the buttons in the dark. Your cell phone may have a "dot" or a "dash" shape on top of certain buttons for the same purpose. :thumbsup:

pyro
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Great deal on these refurbs...

http://www.adorama.com/ICASD880SR.html?searchinfo=ICASD880&item_no=1

pyro
12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
A Nikon D3000 would do great for you...

I know Staples had the D3000 kit on sale for $499. :thumbsup:

a buddy of mine just bought a D3000...

Why all this hype about the D3000??? Have you guys read the reviews and comparisons?
They still make the old D40, and it's still a great camera, maybe a better camera:

http://www.adorama.com/INKD40KH.html

$375 refurbed with 18-55...

Casey
12-17-2009, 04:23 PM
no hype, just a nice cheap camera.

I bought one cuz it was cheap. I also had a D40 a last year for the same reason, it was cheap. I read the reviews and to be honest the only negative comment about it was the high iso. Who cares I don’t shoot above 400 anyway. I like the larger screen and 11 focus points, that’s what sold me.

It’s sad a month before I bought the D3000 I bought a D300s to replace my D200 and normally end up grabbing the D3000.

pyro
12-17-2009, 04:50 PM
I currently use a D80.
The D90 is definitely on my wish list.
It's based on the body design and control layout of the D80,
with the guts, display, and other new feature upgrades from the D300s, including cleaner images at higher ISO's.

I worked a shoot for a gymnastics meet last weekend, in a high-ceiling gym with only a few dozen hanging shop lights. NO FLASH permitted. Trying to freeze action is impossible, so timing and composition is everything. We were using 1.8 and 2.8 lenses, wide open, struggling with 1600 ISO to keep shutter speeds reasonably high enough to get a decent shot. VERY tough.

If you only shoot outdoors under midday sun, they're all going to perform about the same (among dSRL models, or among point-and-shoot models)
If any of you ever want to shoot Christmas morning gifts with the kids, under natural lighting (instead of harsh, white, red-eye flash), high-ISO performance is EVERYTHING.

Jay Smith
12-20-2009, 07:30 PM
WELL, as I said a few posts ago went with the Kodak and IT WOULD NOT LOAD THE FURNISHED PROGRAM DISC IN MY WIFES COMPUTER.... Didn't even take it completely out of the box before I took that POS back !!! Man I must be jinxed on these cameras.. My wife and I were returning from Sams and I remembered we had a perfectly good MINOLTA Z1 DIMAGE on the shelf ... It worked great and we both couldn't remember why we bought the Nikon ( :confused: ) .. Oh well Back to square one.. I am bidding on a Z3 MINOLTA DIMAGE with more pixel on e-bay...

Happy Holidays,
Jay

LittleCharger
12-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Pyro,

As far as I'm concerned shooting gymnastics is one of the toughest venues...like you said most of the gyms have terrible lighting, no flash and lots of action to freeze. The tumble passes are tough even wide open with the 1.8

Gotta shoot alot in order to get some good actions shots.

Cheers,