PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch options

typhoon
12-07-2009, 03:25 AM
I went to fit the kill switch in the boat on the weekend, drilled two lovely neat holes, one ignition key, one kill switch.
Ignition key's stem is long enough for me to get the nut onto it, but the kill switch is too short! Rear access is limited, I could maybe get in there and chisel a few plys out of the wood if I have no options, but it is a last resort, it would be messy!
The kill switch is going into 12mm plywood. Does anyone make a long stem kill switch, or a surface mount one? I already have the hole drilled in freshly painted ply, I don't want to make a mess of this!

Regards, Andrew.

Liberator*21
12-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Andrew,

Just open the hole up to mount the switch from the front (dash surface). Put the switch on a home made plate (painted to match) and screw the plate into your dash...............done :D

typhoon
12-12-2009, 06:19 AM
I thought long and hard about a plate as you suggested, but I wanted a clean, neat look.
So I spent some time and cleared out behind the dash, somehow got the router in there and did the job! It took me an hour to get the router in there, but less than 30 seconds to do the cut!:rolleyes:
I think it was worth the effort:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/typhoonpud/Boat/Console001.jpg

Regards, Andrew.

Liberator*21
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Good look'n job there Andrew..........:thumbsup: