PDA

View Full Version : decal removal???

michigancheckmate
12-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Whats up peoples!! I need some help.
I have a 1995 checkmate pulse 186 and looking to replace the "checkmate" decals on the fiberglass, they are peeling along the edges.
i ordered and received the new decals, which are the newer style (the old style are no longer available), whats the best way to tackle this job...thanks Joe :cheers:

david martin
12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I have found that a heat gun works very well for removing decals.:thumbsup:
David

williamsdetailing
12-20-2009, 09:09 AM
yep, heat gun and a razor blade. Take your time with the blade because you can do more harm then good. I like to heat the vinyl then use the blade to lift the edge enough to grab it with your fingers. Then use some sort of adhesive remover. I like 3m general purpose adhesive remover. Acetone or something like goof-off would work also.

Bruster
12-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Keep the rasor blade in the medicine cabinet. You don't need to chance a scratch. Just a heat gun to soften up the glue and some kind of solvent to clean the goop off. A little alchohol to clean the surface and you are ready.:D

KIBBEY
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I might have some old style decals around that match your boat..If interested let me know..heatgun and acid tone work great for taking off old decals.

Riverman
12-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Just went thru this, WD-40 worked the best for removing the glue.

michigancheckmate
12-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, with the weather being cold, I'm going to wait till spring. Thanks for the offer kibbey, but I like the newer decals better. The only thing is I hope there isnt outlines that dont get covered. I'll let you know in the spring if I need the older style...thanks

jlay
12-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Go to NAPA and ask for a 3M eraser wheel. This is what they are made for. DO NOT USE A RAZOR!!! It will gouge the glass! The eraser wheel can be chucked into your drill. On my apache about 3/4 of the boat was an Indian Head sticker!:eek: I got there one night with the eraser wheel, some beer and the battery charger(for the drill) and got it done. It will not harm the paint. Go behind with some wd-40 or acetone to get the little residue left over off. Trust me it works great and will not harm the gel/paint!

williamsdetailing
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Razors only gouge the glass if you use it improperly. The eraser wheels work

fishn4cash
12-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Heat gun or the wife's hair dryer

jas638
03-14-2010, 04:29 PM
i use a heat gun low heat keep it moving,in front of you. and a wood paint stirrer stick and put and edge on it with a grinding wheel. or a belt sander. works nice dont scratch the gel. acetone on a rag removes the glue left over.:thumbsup:

Wolverine
04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Then use some sort of adhesive remover. I like 3m general purpose adhesive remover. Acetone or something like goof-off would work also.
I agree with leaving the razor blade out of the equation. The 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover is the best stuff I have ever used for removing the glue left behind by decals. It won't harm paint or gelcoat. I've used it for years.

h2go4it
04-30-2010, 05:43 AM
These guys have said it all and have given you some good advice. The only thing I can add is that you can hire me to do it for you. I've got a heat gun, a good plastic scraper and some good adhesive remover! I work cheap but the travel charges are gonna get deep into your pocketbook!!!! Ha! Seriously though, I've been doing vinyl graphics for over 20 years now and this is good advice. One further suggestion I can offer.......... if you need your decals to be a little larger, find a reputable vinyl graphics shop in your area and take the ones you have to them. They can scan and reproduce in any size and color(s) you want and the price should be cheaper than OEM.