PDA

View Full Version : Bought a house

typhoon
09-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Finally bought somewhere to keep my boat! It's about a two minute walk to a huge lake, which is semi salt water. The lake is 25kms(15 miles) long. The lake has a small entrance to the sea as well. I know, it looks like the place is out of McHale's navy! Maybe that's why I bought it?
I have about 6 boat ramps within a 5 minute drive, and a huge ramp(used to be for Catalina flying boats during the war) about 10 mins away. The house is on top of a hill, so will be cool in summer. Has views of the lake as well.
Nice big block of land, and 12 ft from the side of the house to the boundary on the driveway side, so a nice big driveway! I hate backing down scary narrow driveways! I could back a 30ft Scarab down this one no problems!
The place needs a couple of alterations, it used to be a rental, and the layout sucks, but the basic structure is sound. Also has a cool old fashioned fireplace which is big enough to cook in!
Now all I have to do is save a bit and get a garage sorted out!(I deliberately kept the mortgage nice and small so I could spend money on things I want to do to the house)

Regards, Andrew.

LaserModVee
09-21-2002, 12:49 AM
Congrats Andrew!

Nothing feels better than owning your own home. I bought my first home a little over two years ago, and I wish I would have done it sooner. Maybe one of these days when I can scrounge up enough time and money I will visit your homeland and drop by to say hi. A group of my friends went to Australia for three weeks or so a couple of years ago, they loved it. LONG flight though.

Good luck,

typhoon
09-21-2002, 01:01 AM
It's a bit scary buying a place for the first time..luckily I have an uncle who is a mortgage broker, so I got all the inside info on the process.
I'm finally getting past the nerves and looking forward to getting to work on the place(still haven't got the keys yet!).
You'd love it over here. The US dollar goes a very long way. Nice weather, but our summers can be extremely hot and humid, so be warned! We do get some cool thunderstorms though in summer.
I'm really looking forward to being able to work on the boat, at the moment it's a 25 minute drive away, and it's parked on the street in front of a mate's place, so impossible to work on. I put a new powerhead on it about 6 months ago, and had to move out of where I was renting, so nothing has been done since. I hate leaving it on the street, had my last boat stolen from right in front of my sister's place...I need to scrounge up a lower unit, beef up the transom, and do some general tidying up of wiring.

Regards, Andrew.

Doubledog
09-21-2002, 01:48 PM
That's the one goal I haven't accomplished yet my friend. However, bought a few acres of land in NW Florida a few years ago and in a few months --- she'll be mine with the deed in hand!

I don't care what anyone says, that place is nice and its yours!