PDA

View Full Version : restore color to faded vinyl

Slowroll
11-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I have red seats and they are faded.Is there anything out there that I can use to restore the oriiginal color? I've tried magic eraser several times ,it cleans good but does'nt affect the faded area,i've even tried 0000 steel wool it seemed to clean a tad better. I've tried 3M vinyl restorer to no avail? any suggestion?

Dave Strong
11-07-2009, 09:52 PM
When I worked at a GM dealer there was a girl that did warr repairs to interior, seats, and trim. She could fix stains on leather and vinyl, had some type of dye she used. Maybe check at a few car dealers to see if they have someone that does similar work?
Dave

pyro
11-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Avoid steel wool, it only seems to "work" because it removes vinyl like sandpaper, exposing more underneath. The scuffed up areas will quickly re-stain.

Magic eraser works good, and it's not abrasive enough to texture the surface. After the water completely dries, rub the vinyl with a dry towel to restore the shine without chemicals.

1BadAction
11-08-2009, 07:57 AM
I have red seats and they are faded.Is there anything out there that I can use to restore the oriiginal color? I've tried magic eraser several times ,it cleans good but does'nt affect the faded area,i've even tried 0000 steel wool it seemed to clean a tad better. I've tried 3M vinyl restorer to no avail? any suggestion?

If the magic eraser didn't do it, you need to find a SEM dealer (http://www.semproducts.com/) and go through a color book. They have spray bombs that will be close to your color, and can mix quarts that match exactly.

Euroski
11-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Never tried the product but Dupli-color makes spray bombs for vinyl. Has anyone used such a product and how well does it hold up?

BottomsUp
11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
sem find a paint supply store who has a color chart by sem you can order a rattle can.

wipe down, mask and spray !!

it is that easy !!

Billy

CYork22
11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Where can I get some Magic Eraser from. Some stores I check did'nt know what I was talking about.

williamsdetailing
11-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Cleaners are not going to bring back faded vinyl. The fading is from sun damage. You need to use a good vinyl protectant. I only use 303 aerospace protectant. Google "303 products"

mikeyboy
12-19-2009, 06:22 PM
i was going to use the saint for my seats but i whould think that the paint will crake

nitrolouie
12-20-2009, 11:15 AM
The SEM works great, I used it to dye white seats to black for my car and never had a crack or wear spot in 3 years. Make sure thta they are good and clean.