PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!! on Ventura II model.

Code_man
09-18-2002, 03:06 AM
This is for any hydrostream Owner that can help me.. I have just bought a '84 Ventura II model with a '89 150 Merc stock. For steering it has Dual Ride Gide but I was wondering what is the best way to set it up for Top end speed.. Right now i'm running a 26p Chopper 2 prop @ 6000... with that i'm only hitting 69.4.. The thing that i was wondering is that If I took the gas tank and put it in the back so that my bow could ride out of the water.. I would like to know what kinda prop to run.. should i get a nose cone etc. If anyone could give me advice i would be willing to listen.. Thanks Cody

vector mike
09-18-2002, 06:46 AM
Set up is the key for going fast. There is alot of trial and error involved but there is a few basic places to start. How much setback do you have? How high is your motor? (propshaft in relation to bottom of boat) What type of LU do you have? Do you have a LWP? Balance is a big thing too. Not just front to rear but also side to side. Give us some info on your setup and I'm sure we can help.

Laker
09-18-2002, 07:58 AM
Yep, Get all the weight to the back. Even a battery up front screws up the Ventrua. Get a nose cone LWP, and pressure guage. propshaft height will be 1 1/2inch below the bottom for good handling and top speed. You are going to want solid motor mounts an make sure your stearing is tight. The choper 2 is ok, try some Yammer Drags or Lightning ETs and for all out top end you will want to find a 27 SRX. Your motor should have 2:1 gears so remember that when figuring speeds and props. My ventura runs 67mph with a Stock 115 V4 and a 25 solid hub race cleaver. With the mod powerhead at the rumble it was running 74mph in the soupy Kentucky Air.

Code_man
09-20-2002, 01:35 AM
My motor is mounted all the way down but that is going to change very soon, I'm thinking about putting my gas tank in the back instead of front. for some reason they decided to put it in the front. I don't have LWP yet but. where i live we don't have much water sometimes and that comes a problem with LWP because they would get pluged up.. but i think i will just buy a nose cone.. another thing. I heard that the SRX is the same thing at the chopper except that the SRX is for OMC. what about Mazco for props?? I don't have any set back yet but what would be your advice on setback.
Code_man
P.S. Thanks for the advice you guys have gaven me..

Rickracer
09-20-2002, 08:07 AM
propshaft at or near split shaft, and you shouldn't have any problems with plugging up the water pickup. :cool:

Laker
09-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Do you have dual cable steering?
Move all the weight to the back, fuel tanks, battery, everything. Mount your merc all the way up on the last hole, you wont need a LWP at that height but you do need a pressure guage to watch it. On the last hole you will pic up some good speed over your setup now. The ventrua with a V6 needs very little if no setback, keep that in mind also when buying a jack plate. 4 inches or less. The SRX and a Chopper are very different, not just the names or manufactures. Mazcos are great props.