PDA

View Full Version : Merc Carb Rev limiter

TTriton
04-21-2001, 10:08 PM
In most cases I work in engine's that I don't want to spin up to high for towing but I have been working on a Skeeter 16 that I have built and engine for and I want to get it spinning higher. What wire must I disconnect to get it to spin higher then 6200 Rpm's?? The engine I have is a Carbed 200 late 80's.

jimmyb
04-21-2001, 11:05 PM
actually there isnt a true rev limiter on the carbed motors (spark retarding) at least not that I know of... There is a spark advance module that that controls spark advance at the higher rpms, but that simply moves the advance to 25-27 degrees before TDC. I dont think that module has the capability to retard the timing at a certain rpm...

in carbed motors, your rpms are controlled by the size of the carbs, exhaust, and porting. The motors are designed to run up to a certain rpm and usually after they hit that rpm, they loose hp, so you dont gain any more speed and you dont rev any higher. The way to get more rpms out of it is to chance the porting and do changes to the carbs/intake exhaust that allow the motor to breathe better. However, those changes usually end up hurting the low speed performance

[Edited by jimmyb on 04-21-2001 at 11:10 PM]