PDA

View Full Version : do you race jet boats?

2.5_stoker
10-20-2009, 11:14 AM
alright guys is racing jetboats in a hotrod outboard benieth you or do you jump at the chance?

inspectorlance
10-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I run with a large group of jet boat guys around here. Its all we really got for perf boats. A few of my friends run 100+ in a jet. Even one guy runnig 115 mph. For the most part, a Jet can only put up big #'s for a few seconds.

I wouldnt try to drag race one of these guys, they would smoke me.

The real fast jets run lots of NOS, and only do short runs.

I joke with the guy running 115, he says lets go race for a 1/4 mile and I say give me 2 miles :) Then I give in and say, OK, how about 1 mile.

Jets vs outboards is two different worlds.

A few local guys run 1000 to 1200 hp blown motors in 21 jets. Over 30k in a motor. Now these guys can run low 100's and hold the pedal down for a while. They have great lake boats that will smoke me off the line, and run about the same top #'s.

Dont get me wrong, I like spanking a jet boat, but around here you have to know what your messing with.

Lance

2.5_stoker
10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
the reason for my poll is where i live in arizona the squirt boats run around in overwelming numbers...and most will come circle around your cove reving the engine untill you give in and come out and race...usualy they do this early in the morning while your still sleeping in the tent or while youre cooking breakfast (they like that smooth water)...so now i dont give them the chance...i go pick on them as soon as i see'em...dont get me wrong there are some very fast jets out there...in my area they are few and far between...i ran into one from east valley performance that ran mid 90's w/o juce...i asked the guy how it ran on the bottle and he told me he hadnt had the balls to try it yet.

inspectorlance
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Yah, the big boys break down allot when running 1000+ hp.

I do love turning around and pulling up to a jet boat that thinks he's fast. Most dont want to race after I caught up to them real fast, and slowed down next to them to see if they wanted to race. Normally they just wave at that point.

I was just pulling up next to them, but they were racing :)

Note: this only refers to the average fast jet boat, not the big boys I run with. :)

Lance

1BadAction
10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
The rub about an inboard boat is, its real hard to tell the difference between the googan with some chrome parts, and the dude who knows how to make one run hard... If you run across that guy, you're going to wish you brought something other than that heavy eliminator. :eek:

2.5_stoker
10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
The rub about an inboard boat is, its real hard to tell the difference between the googan with some chrome parts, and the dude who knows how to make one run hard... If you run across that guy, you're going to wish you brought something other than that heavy eliminator. :eek:

trust me...ive come across a couple that were way fast...been beat by more than one bubble boat :o...and im not saying that they cant be as fast if not faster than an outboard...im just saying that i enjoy blowing there doors off when given the opertunity...that heavy old eliminator usualy isnt the fastest boat in our group either...but when it comes to playing in some 2' chop it holds its own...:D

2.5_stoker
10-21-2009, 12:11 PM
wow...i kind of figured there would be more people involved in this thread...no one else out there enjoys a little lake racing with some squirt boats?

1BadAction
10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
wow...i kind of figured there would be more people involved in this thread...no one else out there enjoys a little lake racing with some squirt boats?
I think most people remember how "the great jetboat wars of 2006" went and how many trolls it produced. :eek:

Besides, I don't think they would want to admit picking on cripples. :D :leaving:

2.5_stoker
10-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I think most people remember how "the great jetboat wars of 2006" went and how many trolls it produced. :eek:

Besides, I don't think they would want to admit picking on cripples. :D :leaving:

lol...there arent to many hotrod outboards to race with where i live...we come across a couple here & there...the "performance crowd" is made up mostly of jets and big stern drives (25-30 off shore looking stuff) so picking on criples is all we have...plus the eliminator only runs in the low 80's...so sometimes those cripples give us a pretty good run. :D

Capt.Insane-o
11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
15 foot boat that weighs less than 500 lbs with a 300 hp 9800rpm 2 liter and a 24 et. Line em up.

Fish
11-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I usually figure anyone who wants to go fast, or is trying to go fast is just like the rest of us. Its usually the loudmouth who says his boat will do 120 that I try to get some of since most I have seen are about 80-90mph boats when all is said and done. Having said that, I know there are some really fast squirt boats out there, and I have run into more than a few other type of boats that fit into the same mold.

gfinch
11-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Top of my, to pick on list is the Ricky Rooster. Squirt boat with the diverter aimed to the sky.
Run them down and they just turn off or stop and throw out the ski rope. If you sneak up or turn around and parallel them you might get them into a race. I usually just putt by the coves early in the morning, hoping someone will come out and play. Once in a while I'm lucky.

2.5_stoker
11-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Top of my, to pick on list is the Ricky Rooster. Squirt boat with the diverter aimed to the sky.
Run them down and they just turn off or stop and throw out the ski rope. If you sneak up or turn around and parallel them you might get them into a race. I usually just putt by the coves early in the morning, hoping someone will come out and play. Once in a while I'm lucky.

yay!...im not the only one!!! :cheers:

gfinch
11-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Where in Az?
I am going to Az. to pick up the Bush creation soon, hopefully. It will be put on my "Stupid fishing boat" and then complete the tune and some set up while were there in Havazoo.

There is a flat bottom get togeather every year at Lake San Antonio 45 min away. Lots of old school boats many are very quick! Hopefully it will be ready this year and we better get some rain.

2.5_stoker
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
before the army i lived in the phoenix area (mesa)...i just got orders to move to fort bliss texas so now at least ill be a little closer to home....man thats a bad azz lookin motor!!!!!! what kinda fishin boat you gunna put that on?...alley, bullet, gambler???...that thing looks mean

gfinch
11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
First, Thank you for your service to our country!
Allison XB2003. It's just a fishing motor. Low compression, 125/135 psi, pump gas. It's been going through teething pains.
Had a Stoker built 3.0 till last Oct when it decided to window itself.

whipper
11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
First, Thank you for your service to our country!
Allison XB2003. It's just a fishing motor. Low compression, 125/135 psi, pump gas. It's been going through teething pains.
Had a Stoker built 3.0 till last Oct when it decided to window itself.
:D Gary nice window!! I think its letteing to much air in though!!:eek::thumbsup:

gfinch
11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Got to the lake just before sun rise, the beginning of a nice summer day. Warmed the engine up and did my normal scream up and around the whole lake to see if there were any takers. Came back to the launch ramp where I had put in, shut off the engine.
While sitting out there I heard the sound of a car motor boat coming out from one of the coves up the lake. Unmistakable sound of a Big Block with blower surge. Rupp...thump thump thump, rupp...thump thump thump. In a little bit he took off, running up the lake, away from where I was, sounded real good. "Oh Goody! Finally something that might just kick my butt."

The lake is about a 1/4 mile wide, and in the direction he's running about 2 miles to the 5 mph zone at the shallow end of the lake. What usually happens is they go up the lake turn around, come back down on the other side and just before they get to where I'm sitting they turn across and run back up the lake.

Well I haven't really seen this boat yet, just the spray, cuz he's too far away. Now he's coming down the lake on the other side towards where he came out of the cove and took off. Squirt boat. I decide to fire up, get on plane, trim the engine and just putt up the lake to see what happens.
Over the last few weekends the trim had been acting up. About 1 in 7 times, when I would trim up, it wouldn't, then it would fix it's self and act normal.

Now I'm ready, going 20 or so just cruising up the lake minding my own business and he spots me, immediately turns across the lake towards me, crosses behind and is now coming up beside on my right. I always wear my life jacket and have the kill switch attached. It's very rare to see another person wearing a jacket unless it's a bass boat or a lake lice. Here they are both driver and passenger clipped and zipped. The boats an Eliminator vee bottom, Blue and White about 17', with a huge engine w/ blower sitting on it. Got stickers around the sides and back. Torco, Moroso, MSD ... ... ... "Oh Well, I asked for it!"
Passenger gives a little wave as to say "Want to go?" I give them the "Thumbs Up!"

I'm sitting in my "Stupid Fishing Boat". Well not so stupid. It's an Allison XB2003 with nothing in it. A JohnyRude fishing motor. Well maybe a little bit pumped up fishing motor. Taylor built 3.3 with a X front half, SDS EFI, MSD ignition sitting on a 16" Taylor mid, Super Trap muffler and a Sports Master w/1.62 gears and a JC's cut 24".

Passenger drops his hand and off we go. I saw the bow of his boat for a split second and then nothing. Took a look and at about 75 he was a few boats back and fading fast. I stayed in it to 85, he was done, then backed off and came to a stop, shut it off and waited.
The roar of his engine, the silence as his coasted to a stop along side. The Passenger went off. "Thats the fastest F@#$ing boat I've ever F@#$ing seen in my entire F@#$ine life. This went on for a while and when he was done the driver said, without looking up "Never been beat by an outboard"

"Glad I could oblige!" then we all laughed. We talked for a while and when they were ready to leave I said "Hey why don't we go from a idle start", knowing it would be his race as it was a jet(Squirt) boat.
"I have a G.S. pump!", meaning a Greg Schumacher(sp), who is one of "Thee People" to go to for pump work. Told him I didn't care if he beat me, it's all in fun!

Well we start to line up and I want to be of his right, so if I hook the boat at least I'll be going away from him. Finally get it right and the passenger gives the signal.

He takes off like a rocket to the moon, probably 45-50 degrees. I hit the throttle and trim at the same time and just plow through the water. Trim decided not to work. Just sat there laughing!

A few months later I received my copy of Hot Boat and recognized pic's of the lake and read an article about a boat titled something like "Sunk the Boat" and the resurrection. There it was. Funny, didn't say anything about that summer day at San Antonio Lake and "That Stupid Fishing Boat".

2.5_stoker
11-16-2009, 05:03 AM
lol...gotta love the line "ive never been beat by an outboard before"...im sure that to the untrained eye your alley probably just looks like a dum ol bass boat...we all know better though...thatd be kind of a fun sleeper...we came across an old baker pickle fork squirter on apache lake in az one time that ran high 70's...we were in my dads eliminator 207 edge...it was running pretty good that day we were gps-ing it at 82 and we were slowly pulling away...anyways we had a good mile run down lake and pulled over to talk to the guy...the guy in the baker wanted to know how fast we were going because his spedo was broken...dad decided to play with guy...he told him "aww...we were running about 70"...the guy in the baker was bummed...he said the guy i bought it from said it ran 80...and went and put his boat on the trailer and left...i thougt it was funny as hell!

Darkside's Calling
11-17-2009, 03:56 AM
I run with the same bunch as Inspector Lance, and you have to know who has what... but we have quite a few jet and v-drives in the 60-90 mph range, and our true triple digit club here in the NW is currently around 6-10 boats. I've only actually "raced" one other boat, and that was a 21' eliminator like mine, but running a 200 Merc O/B (was able to pull away consistently, probably about 5 mph faster).

I'm pushing the 80 mph mark, and should better that after this winter, will start messing with the jets this year once I'm set-up better and dialed in.

whipper
11-18-2009, 03:07 AM
Good story Gary.:thumbsup: I think all us clamp on boats have one of those.:D

gfinch
11-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Fishing Shasta Lake during a vacation one year. We were in our other "Stupid Fishing Boat" 19' Champion with a warmed up 200 Johnson. It was time to move so we got our life jackets on a what do you know, a jet boat with three guys in it goes by just as we plane off. Were just minding our business and they slow down and then hit it. Not one to refuse we went by and continued to our next stop, way back in the back of the O'Brian arm. We idled into the 5mph zone and stopped to fish just inside on a long sharp point. Well here they come and stop, shut of the engine and the driver says. "How fast were you going out there?" With out turning around I said "I don't know I didn't look at the tell tail. So then I turn around and look and say. "70". He grumbled something, turned and left. I guess I just beat his 90 mph jet boat at 70.

Years before we were fishing at one of our local lakes, Naciemento Lake. 18'4" Champion 175 Mariner. We were fishing at the mouth of one of the major coves, probably 200 feet off a sandy beach people were day camping on. Boats would come and go on both sides of us, there was enough room for everyone.
There was this RED jet boat that would come by every 10 minutes or so, and blast around the corner, blast past the beach and back into the cove. Well there is a floating bath room farther back in this cove and the wife said it was time for a visit. Just about the time we get our life jackets on and ready to go guess who's coming down the lake. I get it up on plane set the trim just as he comes flying by on the wifes side of the boat.
I hammer it and leave him just as he is parallel with us. We get to the smaller cove where the bath room is and come off plane and my wife is still cracking up. What she tells me next is. Just as I hammered it she looked over at him and waved by by as we puled away. Last time we saw or heard him that day.