PDA

View Full Version : need source for Royal Blue metal flake

BenKeith
09-14-2002, 07:05 PM
Can anyone tell me a good source for some .015 - .020 thin Royal Blue metal flake. I've tried just about every search I can and can't come up with any. Need it now.

Keith

sho305
09-16-2002, 08:22 AM
Try this link:
http://forums.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5417&highlight=gelcoat+supplies

BRENT GILL
09-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Ben , did you find a place to get blue metal flake? I too need some.I tried the link on the above post but had no results. any help would be appreciated. thanks BRENT:)

sho305
10-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Wow, hard to find. Found some of the piments here:
http://www.shopmaninc.com/pigments.html
But not all of it. Maybe they have it but not on the site. They have everything else.

Burke Kilgour
10-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Did you try here ?

http://www.fibreglast.com/products.php?session=b4f97cca50580a2f05460ca0a83ab3e3&area=11
(bottom of page)

Burke

sho305
10-21-2002, 08:33 PM
Hey thanks, they have it all. Anyone sprayed it on? I see I am not going to be using my gun for it so I'd have to buy one. Is it easy to spray like car paint? Hard to justify for one boat though.

BenKeith
10-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Sorry for the delay, just haven't been here for a while.

WWW.minicraft.com is your best source for flakes and pigments if you're wanting to match what you have. Give them the make and VIN # and they can probably match it perfectly. Notice I said best, not cheapest, put there prices are not too bad.

WWW.fiberglast.com only have four colors. their blue is a bright blue. I order some of theirs but it was a little brighter than mine so it's setting on the shelf.

If you stick with the smaller flakes, .015 or so, you should have no problem spaying them through your standard 1.4 mm gun and an automotive clear.

If you're talking using gel coat, you will have to have a 2.2 - 2.3 mm gun, and plan to do one hell of a lot of sanding. Duratec High gloss additive helps smooth out the last coat. I used it in the last two coats, but still sanded my butt off, just to work up to 1200 grit and buff it out to find I still have orange peel. Very shiney orange peel though.

sho305
10-25-2002, 10:50 PM
That would be nice if I could use my gun. I'm just not to wound about gelcoat. They say it is not waterproof, it dies in the sun, yet does have good qualities. But not application! I used epoxy in my transom and liked it. Then I could not find epoxy color/paint to put over it. I needed above and below the water for a transom! Finally used VC Epoxy performance stuff and tinted it off white as it only comes white. It worked good, and went on nice, sanded easy. Did not buff to great shine, but I stopped because it matched the boat. Was only day old and soft too.

Thinking I could do like you said and flake the top with Chroma clear but what about the bottom? I'll be afraid to leave it in overnight after all that work. Hard to beleive there is nothing to use. Considering doing stripes/accents in flake, and then everything else in white VC. If the white is not real great ya won't notice anyway. To flake a whole boat in gel like the original sounds like tons of pain in the can.

Thanks again for the info.