PDA

View Full Version : Thrust washer

04-21-2001, 09:32 PM
This is wierd. I don't see any kind of thrust washer on this propshaft. It has a quicksilver 28" chopper on it. It runs OK like this. Is something wrong here? I just bought this thing. -Chad

Ray Neudecker
04-21-2001, 09:50 PM
It should not be that way. you do need a thrust washer.

jimmyb
04-21-2001, 11:01 PM
ditto what ray said...

with out a thrust washer (or a worn thrust washer) a prop can do nasty things to a gearcase! Your prop should not bottom out on the splines, it should bottom out on the thrust washer.

04-22-2001, 08:34 AM
the prop is a quicksilver 28" chopper. Would my local marina have the proper thrust washer for this application? They don't sell any hi-performance stuff. Does this prop require a special washer? I also have a 24" aluminum "beater" prop that the guy who sold the boat gave to me to use for "unfamiliar waters." Would that prop need a different washer? I think the guy has been using both props without a forward or aft thrust washer for 7 YEARS. The gearcase seems OK, I mean it works OK. The shaft has a little less than 1/4" fore/aft play if you push and pull on it. Any problems I should be looking for? Thanks for all the help, guys! -Chad

Techno
04-22-2001, 09:10 AM
With no thrust washer on the shaft you should see the taper on the shaft. If you don't see a taper then the washer is on the shaft. They tend to seat themselves onto this taper and not come off.
Look at the prop and check to see if the washer is stuck to it. You should see a mating taper there if it is stuck to it.
If you see the taper on the shaft and just a hole in the prop with no taper then you need to get a thrust washer.
I'm pretty sure the washer is generic- it fits all the props with just a few exceptions.
You could also slide the prop on the splines and see if there is any slop on the splines, I found out mine are twisted and the prop has to be taken off with a puller. With no washer I'm wondering if the splines have worn.

Balzy
04-22-2001, 11:05 AM
Pyro,

I would get to work on that gearcase before you run it again. 1/4" of end play is too much. You should have less than 1/8". Sounds like the bearing carrier may be coming loose. You know the old saying, "Pay me now or pay me later". Either way it sounds like you need some internals. If you wait, it may cost you prop and even a complete gearcase.

04-23-2001, 09:27 PM
I'm not used to messing with this stuff. It does appear to have a thrust washer on it after all. It is a dark grey color, and it is against the front of the prop. This older prop's blades extend over top of the washer a bit, so at first I thought it was part of the prop. End play is more like 1/8", upon closer examination. Everything is fine except for the malfunctioning Tach. I have another thread regarding the strange pitch/rpm/speed issue with this setup. Thanks -Chad