PDA

View Full Version : rear or pad repair?

vector tim
09-11-2002, 06:27 PM
1982 vector, i noticed a nice chip out of the back corner of the pad, dont want water to start getting in, what can I use to repair this, will marine tex be ok?

vector tim
09-11-2002, 09:08 PM
need to repair rear corner of pad, do I have to use resin or will marine tex or somekind of 2 part epoxy work?

VectorPat
09-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Either will work..But epoxy has to have some kind of filler with it or it will just drip off..

vector tim
09-15-2002, 06:52 PM
man that marine tex is some tuff stuff when it dries, looks like all is good now, thanks pat

hope to see ya at east lake

Techno
09-15-2002, 07:17 PM
Look on the marine tex, it should say which it is polyester or epoxy. Or simpler, Poly uses a tiny amount of catylist for the resin. Epoxy uses a large amount 1/7 to about 1/2.

Most of these things are all the same product. Bondo is polyester resin with talc in it for thickener. The stuff used to bond nose cones on is epoxy with a thickener already added.

VectorPat
09-15-2002, 07:25 PM
There are 2 kinds of marine tex..The white is for fiberglass and the grey is for metal..I have used the grey for both and not had any problems..I`m not sure what the difference is between the two, but its good for small repairs..I`ve just found that unless you put something in epoxy to thicken it that it drips when doing bottom repairs. I have never tried the talc though..I have used the West Systems filler and its like sanding concrete when its hard..

Techno
09-15-2002, 07:53 PM
The metal marine tex probably has metal in it. Aluminum? Most of these products list the ingredients even if its short hand.
If you've seen the brass, aluminum and all those other tubed epoxy kits thats all they are. That metal is the filler.

Your confusing the resin as being a product and stuff like marine tex as being something different. They're the same thing. I used some kind of micro balloons or microspheres, forgot which, and the epoxy was easier to sand than bondo. I just used west sys. adhesive filler for my bottom and it was terrible to sand. Its about 2-3 times harder than the gelcoat so it would sand the gel easy but ride on top of the patch.

If you took whatever the filler in either marine tex is and mixed it with epoxy it would be nearly the same animal. The epoxy used in either might be a slightly different formula but about the same result.
The white probably uses glass or silicon. The gray- aluminum.

I couldn;t help miyself and had to find out.
I just checked and the only difference between the white and gray is the gray has < 1% carbon black in it. Thats it. I don't read chemi-latin so I don't know what butyl glycidyl ether is which is 1-10% of the stuff.

msds (http://www.marinetex.com/marine-tex-msds.htm)

http://www.marinetex.com/index.htm

sho305
09-16-2002, 08:07 AM
Had that problem with this Bayliner transom I was doing for practice/learning, the dripping when finishing the outer skin. I used the cheap fibers can from West Sys. and the epoxy. Micro may work better. Finally got mad and filled it with Duroglass! Then I thought I might have a problem with moisture in this not-epoxy filler, so I put another coat of epoxy over it. Painted it with epoxy VC and it looks good for the month it has been on there and in the lake...Thinking I should have used the waxpaper/roller trick or otherwise molded it flat somehow rather than trying to get it to the perfect paste form. Later I found some two part epoxy filler paste for this.