PDA

View Full Version : What Model name is my Checkmate?

GrandRoyal
06-25-2001, 04:40 PM
I own a late '70s early '80s, 16' Checkmate and have no idea if this boat has a model name or not. The serial and capacity plate is badly scratched, making it impossible for me to decipher the the model name. The boat has been extensively restored in '93. ( fresh paint and interior )
I know that the original paint was a dark grey or black with gold metalflake. It would be great for me to put a name to my boat, if it even had a model name.

check88
06-25-2001, 06:17 PM
the 16 footers were called predictors<(yes that is the correct spelling).had one years ago with a 150 merc and a 6" jackplate.that thing would fly but the chine walk was so severe it nearly threw me out of the boat on more than one occasion.very fun boat tho.

GrandRoyal
06-25-2001, 08:35 PM
I can finally put a name to my boat. Thanks check88!!
Do you think there's a way to reduce chine walk on this hull? Maybe a custom built pad?
My boat will also do quite the dance at higher trim levels
with a 115 evinrude, direct mount to transom.

check88
06-26-2001, 09:48 AM
the only way i was able to tame mine down was to trim way in to push the nose in.it seemed to me that if you were to put in solid motor mounts top and bottom and go to hydraulic steering that it may help.i was thinking about doing this to mine until i came across an 18' exciter and just sold the 16' without really trying anything to fix it.i think a bigger or wider pad would probably make it worse by reducing the wetted surface of the hull even more.check to be sure your steering is tight with no slop and then look into solid motor mounts if you don't already have them.

Ron V
06-26-2001, 04:03 PM
There was a "16" footer and then there was a "17" footer. Assuming these were the same models as in the 1985 brochure I have, the one that is 16'6" long with a closed bow is the Predictor (I think the open bow is the Enticer). The "17" footer was wider by several inches but only an inch longer (16'7"), weighed 100 pounds more, and was called the Sportfire. My friend has the Sportfire with a 115 inline 6 Merc and it runs honest low 50s with just the driver, and is not even set up right for top end. It is also one of the greatest boats I've ever skied behind. Will pull 5 skiers (on two skis each) and I think it could do 6, has a wake that absolutely slams any inboard made into the ground, and a pull that is solid enough to be adequate but has just enough give that you don't feel like you are being keelhauled in the turns.

SCT
06-27-2001, 01:48 PM
Check88 is correct, that should be a Predictor. Check the serial # tag on the back right side of boat to find the year. You should be able to do a pencil rub if it is to scratched. The Sportfire model wasn't until early to mid 80's. I just ordered a set of solid mounts from Rickracer for my 3.0L Merc. A set was only @ $60.00. Call Mike Combs at Checkamte for parts.

Good Luck.