PDA

View Full Version : OK Mirage owners

WaterBoy
09-09-2002, 09:26 PM
I need some advice, I got a 94 skiracer with a 2.5 245 offshore. I would like to know some things like engine height, setback, and other things to get the setup on this boat as best as I can. Any info would be gladly appreciated.

Waterboy

WaterBoy
09-09-2002, 09:28 PM

WaterBoy
09-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Nobody wants to help me out.

98Mirage
09-11-2002, 06:37 AM
I can't view the pics of your rig. I didn't know that Merc made a 245 O/S, is it a carb engine with a O/S mid?

I have 9" of setback on my River Racer w/260 HP SS. I'm running a CLE approx. 1" above the pad. I need to experiment more with the height due to a couple new props I'm running these days. I prefer a cleaver and drag. RE's tend to make me run bow high.

I'm still searching for speed. You need to get yourself some props and experiment. What are you looking for, top end or 1/4 mile? Get yourself a GPS w/max speed recall and make sure your tach is accurate. Do you know how to calculate prop speed/slip?

Good Luck,

Dennis

Jay Smith
09-11-2002, 08:42 AM
Use a Rapid Jack 9 1/2" plate from Chuck Goodman @13189650201 and run the gear case at 3/4 " above spit shaft and you will be real close !

Good luck!

DBK
09-11-2002, 10:02 AM
My buddy has a '96 Mirage Ski Racer w/Avon 2.5 and we run together often....he usually wins but not by alot. Runs prop shaft about 3/4" above the shaft with a sportmaster, maybe 8" or 10" of setback on a manual plate. Best speed so far is 105.5 mph w/Merc. 28" ET. We had the gearcase higher one day and after taking turns at the wheel burning a full tank we made the scary discovery of a badly damaged lower unit. Torpedo was split 4" up one side of the case past the bearing carrier and the skeg was cracked at the top half way back. That LU was a CLE I think. It wasn;t leaking oil and I wish it had so we would have smelled it or seen the oil in the water. I don;t need to find out what happens when the lower unit explodes at speed........

Expensive Lesson Learned: Run the gearcase high on a Mirage, but not more than 1" above in my opinion....you will just wreck stuff without any great perf. gain.
Dyno Don
Allison w/ Avon 2.5

DBK
09-11-2002, 10:06 AM
I just read Jay Smith's setup reccomendation and it is almost exacty what I wrote. I agree 100% with Jay.

Question for Jay: Have you seen people try to run the gearcase on a Mirage higher than 3/4" above and what have been the results?....junk gearcase?
Dyno Don

woody
09-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Hey WaterBoy !
I'm running a 6" Rapid Jack with propshaft @ bottom .
89 ski /racer, 2.6 gt, L&S nosecone w/lwp. I tried it @ 1" up and lost some water pres. & speedo . 92 mph @ 6200 gps w/32 mazco chopper. Lots of petal left but have 6200 limit .

Jay Smith
09-11-2002, 01:05 PM
No I have never had any success running a Mirage with the gearcase more than 3/4 to 7/8 above the pad ( with 9 1/2" ) jack plate....I think the motor becomes enificiant.....

T&T
09-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Jay,
Is the height recomended on the Mirage. Applies to the River Racer as well ?

Thanks, Todd

BIG B
09-23-2002, 02:38 PM
I have my prop shaft on top of a 4' level......?.... Like this, put a 4' level under the bottom of the boat with the engine trimmed level, stick the 4' level out to the end of the prop shaft, the prop shaft is basicly laying on top of the level. Does this sound close?

I still need a lot of seat time to relay accurate numbers!!!.

BIG B

captcarb
09-23-2002, 04:04 PM
It's close.

Jim

BIG B
09-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Who ya referring to, if me, how close? up or down?

BTW, did ya see my new ride under BIG B's new Mirage?

BIG B

ProComp
09-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Where you running your ski racer. Love to see it. I've stopped by your shop a couple times but your never there.

ProComp

rob vaughn
09-23-2002, 04:53 PM
When under full excelleration ,boat starts to porpuss,raise or lower motor?I have added a plate made out of alluminum(similiar to those DOLFINS)to correct.Been running this combo for years but want feedback from you HIGH DOLLAR DRAGGERS.

captcarb
09-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Nice ride.

You are in the ballpark. If you raise it high it will tend to cavitate a lot just as it falls over on plane, when you "ease" it on plane. If you can get it to hook up again then it is not too high in my opinion, as long as it has good water pressure when trimmed properly. More weight forward will cause it to do this more. You need to fine tune it for your typical load and handling preferences. When running slow it is possible to trim it up too much and not realize it, watch your trim and water pressure like a hawk unless you like buying power heads.

I also run head temp and EGT. I have the water pressure and EGT up on the top cluster where they are more in my line of sight. Those two guages have saved my motor more than once.

If your pad is straight you can make the measurement easier by using one of those cheap little laser pointers held up against the bottom. Level the pad then the propshaft with your level first.

Jim

WaterBoy
09-23-2002, 09:38 PM
That's a pretty neat idea, I never thought about a laser pointer.'

Waterboy

BIG B
09-24-2002, 08:43 AM
It's handling pretty good now, I talked to Mike Mullins the other day and he built and rigged my boat as it sets right now. The prop shaft is about even with the drain hole. I'll try the laser pointer idea. I figured you where good for something!

BTW, I didn't have my GPS with me, so what's the formula for estimating speed? I was running 8200rpm with a big blade 26" chopper, I think I have 1.87 gears, not real sure, I'll know after this week. Gonna reseal the case to solve a leaking problem, I'm gonna check the gears while I'm there.

Rob, I go through a porpoise stage also, I think this is normal for a tunnel, I can power through it or bump the trim up and go through it. I go through it between 6000 and 7000 rpm when I'm running alone, this changes when I have a passenger.

WATERBOY, Will I see you at the bend this weekend, maybe we can make a few passes to see whats whats!LOL

BIG B

captcarb
09-24-2002, 10:09 AM
Prop calculator:

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

You are probably running between 97 and 100 depending on how much cup is in that prop. 97 assumes 10% slip with 26P, 100 assumes 10% slip with 27P.

Mike is very good with Mirage set-ups, so I would leave it alone until you get some time in it or find that it will not carry a load well. He did not build mine, but he did set it up.

The porpoise will go away with seat time because you will automatically trim up a little in that speed range and then back down at the higher speeds. You may not even be aware that you are doing it after a while. Actually the trim setting for porpoise free running in the 6000 to 7000 rpm range is a good setting for the speeds below that also, but not for coming out of the hole. So, you are a little under trimmed at the lower speeds. I do not ever "power through" the porpoise because that can lead to trouble. The boat should not ever porpoise. If it starts rocking from side to side sort of like chine walking you are way over trimmed.

Jim

BIG B
09-24-2002, 10:44 AM
This info is good to know, on one occasion Sunday I found myself tring to drive it through the chine walk....then I thought, wait a minute, a tunnel doesn't chine. So I stayed in the throttle and bumped the trim down and it aired out pretty as you ever seen. So I must have been overtrimmed a bit. It kinda felt like the air coming under the tunnels was flowing out the sides when it got to the back. Does that make sense??

BTW; I'm running a 8.5" Bob's Hyperformance jack plate.

Speaking of trim angle, it acts like it performs better with the angle parallel to the water's surface. I know I should run a little negative trim, but it seems to porpoise more when I do this......O'well, seat time, seat time, this will cure all!

BIG B

captcarb
09-24-2002, 11:03 AM
A lot of the Mirage crashes are barrel rolls, not blow overs. The chine walk thing is your warning of the impending barrel roll. It is a pretty gentle thing at 80 and below, at the higher speeds, it will eat your lunch.

The trim postition is always a compromise and will vary with the load in the boat. From what you describe, yours behaves about like mine.

Jim

BIG B
09-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Kinda makes ya wonder which one would be worse. I really don't won't to find out about either!!

I'm very please at this point with the performance of my River Racer, I really didn't buy it to run 100mph,.....but it just does it so easily. FUN TOO! I'm gonna take it easy until I completely figure everything out, if that's possible.

I hope Waterboy is learning something from all this chit chat.

BIG B

captcarb
09-24-2002, 12:12 PM
Do it solo with full safety gear on.

Jim

BIG B
09-24-2002, 01:50 PM
My Life Line came in yesterday, so I'm good to go in that dept. All I need is a helmet. C-ya

BIG B

WaterBoy
09-24-2002, 10:14 PM
You know I read this stuff daily.

I've been waiting to play a little the past two weekends, but I know, your motor has been recently rebuilt.

Who knows your EFI may just get the old carb mota. Also, I got her really lean now, well al least for the past two weekends, but that bog kills my holeshot. ( That's why I haven't been riding much)

HMM,
river racer wid EFI Bridgeport
skiracer wid carb 245
outcome= who knows

Waterboy

P.S. You know, Gotta play wid ya a little :D

BIG B
09-25-2002, 08:23 AM
Hopefully I'll get the gear case resealed today. Check out a few other things also. We're gonna hook my EFI up to a programming box also. I found out that my EFI brain has an adjustable fuel curve, who knows, I may lean mine up a little.

I won't make it out Saturday, have to work on my deer hunting land. If its not raining Sunday I'll be there for sure. C-ya

BIG B

Hydroballistic
09-25-2002, 08:52 AM
More input on the setup.......
I have a ski racer and I run mine @ 3/4" above the pad with a 26 old style chopper. I started with it quite a bit higher and came down to even with the pad. Found that 3/4" worked the best. I could run higher and "felt" like I had a little extra top end speed (not much though), but it would kill hole shot and acceleration. I also run a 9.5" Rapid Jack.

Three votes for 3/4" above the pad.

Gregg

MTCM
09-25-2002, 01:35 PM
7/8" above pad (close enuff to 3/4). 9.5 inch setback jackplate (Rapid Jack). 22, 24, 26, and 28 pitch Genuine Yams. Holeshot awesome, no bog. No porpoise, no prop-walking (chine-walking) at any speed. Stock 260 w/cut-down swept-skeg CLE.

tunnelmike
09-27-2002, 11:24 AM
we all run longer distances so we dont place too much emphesis on hole shot. My last Mirage ran 103 with a 10 petal slightly modified xri200 at about 1 inch above the pad. My 97 ski racer with a stock 260 on a 15" offshore with a sportmaster set at just over 3/4" above the pad will turn a 32" mach 7500 + at 115 on GPS. I have run this with 2 people in the front seats. I'm 180 and lucas is about 160. I need a 32" cleaver to run alone the mach has too much bow lift.
In alligator in Fla I was only able to get 111 alone or with 2 people , again in the front seats. I am still using an analog box my digital is still at rapair. I'm told the analog dosent change for conditions as a digital will.

3/4 seems to be the ticket even with 12'' set back. I use a 36" straight edge to the side of the case and measure to centerline of the prop shaft from the top of the straight edge.

Good luck with the set up!!!!!

Later..........Mike

Mirage River Racer
10-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Hey everybody, It's been awhile since I visted but glad to be back. My 2 cents on setup. I have a 97 river racer with a 97 2.5 ss [ 260 ] motor and have experimented with lots of heights and set back on my boat and have found my mirage loves height. I'm currently running 1 1/4 above pad and have been as high as 1 1/2. I was running a 9 1/2 rapid jack for a total of 11 1/2 with 2 inches built in on swivel on ss motor. I'm running a 12 inch plate now at 1 1/4. At this setup I'm turning 8000 with stock motor and 28 pitch Mercury ET. Liquid Gaffrig shows about 110. I think Jay Smith is probably close on the setup he ran but I do know the bottom was changed according to Brad Collins on the river racer I have and the one Jay run. Correct me if I'm wrong Jay. I do think I'll probably change back to the rapid jack due to the fact it seems to carry load better at that setback if you have a passenger. I haven't seen really any changes in speed with either one. And Jay if you are reading this I need more power for my BIG HEAVY BUTT. I'll be getting in touch as soon as season in Carolina is over. Still nice here now......... Jay from NC

Jay Smith
10-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Jay ,
I'm on the Subway diet and it really works I have lost 20 lbs in 18 days. As far as more power give us a call ! Are you gonna be in Jasper ! If so come by Hammontree's pits that where we will be !

Jay @ JSRE

cs1
12-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Good info for us new Mirage owners.Any more input anyone?

Andrew
12-02-2003, 06:25 AM
A lot of info has been offered but the question is what do you do with your current set up, 8", 9.5".....unless you want to spend a lot of mulla just take what you have and start there. Just make sure of one thing your equipment is tight whether, its 80 mph or 120 be safe !!!!. I am not a pro racer but I knew my machine by setting up my own boat, take MTCM comment learn on your own,take your boat start with 1/2" above pad a do runs, one good piece of equipment to have is a trim gauge so you can hit your best angle and know where your at all the times with out looking back. I started 3/4 above and ended up 1.5 above pad with my 1995 Texas Mirage River Racer 1996 260 EFI offshore, 8" jack,15" mid, Sport Master lower 1:87 using a 14.5 x 30 Merc lab cleaver boat ran 112 mph on GPS, Then I went to a 280 EFI same highth and ran 118 with 14.5 x 32 reg cleaver. I didn't have a 32 pitch at the time or would have had better top end #'s with my 260 EFI. If your trim angle is not right the boat feels like your pulling a skier if it's right you feel like an eagle,you feel the transition of the water under the boat you'll know when it's right. Hope this has helped some.

VectorPat
12-02-2003, 04:02 PM
What is your current Set up??? Boat, Motor, Setback, prop, etc....
I found the quickest and easiest 6mph gain on mine was a simple prop change that bearly changed my RPMs ;)

cs1
12-02-2003, 07:22 PM
I have a 95 Mirage R/R 500-550#'s 260, 20''offshore,CLE, 5''setback.Blueprinted bottom by Brad.I have a 24 et clone,25 yamaha clone,26 cleaver.I talked to Jay Smith about the setup he said to go with a 9 1/2 Rapid Jack at 7/8 above.Thanks Craig

VectorPat
12-02-2003, 09:09 PM
You have the same hull I do just a year newer and just a tad bit more power than may little 2.4 puts out..You should have a great ride there.. I am running a 9 1/2" setback and run from about 1" to 1 1/4" above the pad.. It seems to like smaller diameter props over larger ones for top end speeds..For me round ear props seem to work the best like the hoss triton.. I have run cleavers before and liked the speed but accelleration sucked especially with a passenger.. The ETs are a good compromise but I didnt like the steering torgue but loved the way it accelled with it.. I have not tried a Yammy drag yet, but would love to.. Try as many props as you can..There are so many combinations that can be done and not everyone runs theirs the same way.. So keep tweeking on it you will find one that works for you..Just be careful and have fun with it ;) :D

stoker2001
12-02-2003, 10:16 PM
i run 97 river racer with drag.it has nine inch setback with sporty case that i run 2-1/4" above propshaft centerline.i have radared 121.8 with 30 cleavor.my boat weighs 1450 with me in it and i drag race with the same 2-1/4" ussing 24 yamy sport cleavor.my boat handling would be scary athttp://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/523/55wheeliemirage-med.jpg

stoker2001
12-02-2003, 10:27 PM
my experience with late model mirages is run prop high as you can as long as you have water pressurehttp://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/523/55wheeliemirage-med.jpg

cs1
12-03-2003, 05:32 PM
I've only had the boat out about 4 times so i don't know much about it yet.The holeshot is great even with the cleaver.I can't wait to try the yamaha on it.The hardest i turned the cleaver was about 8500 on the recall.The boat feels good like it is but i know i need more setback to really help it out.I also need to get the A6 ECU adjusted its still at the factory setting whatever that is 100-101 i think.So i have alot of little things to work out on it and alot more seat time before i get the feel of it. Thanks Craig

stoker2001
12-03-2003, 05:59 PM
i am going to get this pic to post,if it kills me!!

VectorPat
12-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by stoker2001
my experience with late model mirages is run prop high as you can as long as you have water pressurehttp://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/523/55wheeliemirage-med.jpg

That is pretty much how I did mine, but 1 1/4 is about it any higher and steering torgue is just too much..

stoker2001
12-03-2003, 06:53 PM
steering torque is not felt with my sea star hyd setup

JustMercMe
12-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Got a 26 yammie and a 22 et cut chopper and they work fine. Got access to a 28 yammie copy and it wants to chyne walk when ya get close to top end(110 mph). Driving a vector for a while I finally decided to drive the SOB like a stream and it worked. Does the prop have to much lift? What causes this walking?

VectorPat
12-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I had the same thing happen on Mirage with a Hoss Triton, and yes it was like drinving my old Vector again!! It completly changed the way the boat handled...But it was faster:D

rob vaughn
12-18-2003, 05:25 PM
With my 28 Chopper, he'll walk a little from side to side. And it is faster, my advice is, if you don't feel safe, make some changes. I feel comfortable with just a slight amount.
For a carb'd 2.5, 107.2 mph. ain't bad!!! Now my 26 is more stable(YAMMIE COPY) but an allaround prop for me!Top speed there is 103.7

cs1
12-18-2003, 05:26 PM
WE ran a 14x28 Hoss triton and the boat wanted to hop real bad at about 6500 rpms.Was this because the short blades?Put a 26 yammi on it and the hop was gone. Thanks Craig

rob vaughn
12-18-2003, 05:29 PM
I'd say that was caused by the cup in the prop... Mine has done that before, you can trim your way out of that problem...

cs1
12-18-2003, 05:36 PM
We messed with the trim and every now and then it would do better but it was a nasty hop the whole boat would come out of the water.We traded that prop for a 25 yammi copy so when spring comes will see how it does. You still have your Mirage?Thanks Craig . Rob Check your PM

JustMercMe
12-18-2003, 06:03 PM
It completly changed the way the boat handled...But it was faster:D [/B]

That's the problem. I run 110 with the 26 Yammie and I can't get past 110 with the 28........UGHHH! When I bought it the guy said he had seen 120 out of her with a 32 cleaver. I think I'm a speed junkie! 110 is just not cuttin it like it used to.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Later,
Itchy

WaterBoy
01-03-2004, 02:34 AM
I got that new 26 that I had worked. I'm gonna let someone try it that knows how a mirage feels( since I got the new boat). I'm thinking of letting Tim run it and see what he says about it. If you'd like, I'd let you try it. It might help ya get 111. :D I didn't even realize this thread kept on going since I sold my last boat and all. I need to check my motor height also, but I think I'm gonna leave it alone because it's running too good, but the water pressure is wierd. At 3000 r's I got about 4 to 5lbs, at say around 4000 to 4200 it drops to about 2 and then starts going up to a max of about 14 to 15 if I remember correctly.

Waterboy

rob vaughn
01-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Setback: do you need more setback, to get better H2O pressure, or prop bite? Or is the setback, for the smaller shafts (ex. 15 or 12 inch)?

Last thing, how much does a Mirage need?

WaterBoy
01-03-2004, 09:58 AM
I've been hearing that somewhere between 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 inch set back is good for the mirage. I really don't know, I have a 6 inch jackplate on my newer mirage and it seems to run well.

Waterboy

bocephus
01-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Has any body tried no jack plate mine lite it wants to fly I'm looking for hole shot drag racing only

WaterBoy
01-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Parker with the yellow Warrior at the bend doesn't run one. He has a 260. I don't know how it runs though, you'd have to ask him that ?.

Waterboy