PDA

View Full Version : Primer Bulbs...Remote?

sho305
09-09-2002, 04:13 PM
How about a dash primer instead of that bulb--way in back under there! Any ideas? Thinking no gas in front of course.

Techno
09-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Get an electric fuel pump and do away with the whole priming scene altogether. A momentary switch just to fill the bowls.

If your running portable tanks Tee them together and use the vent on the cap as a selector. It's easier than swapping the fuel line down under and is just as effective. I don know if this would work with plastic tanks but should.

sho305
09-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Is there a specific type pump to use here? Do they all flow enough to let the fuel go through when off?

Dhadley
10-12-2002, 08:27 AM
Mine is hosed in so that it's not in the "loop" when off. Even if the manufacturer says it will flow through, I'm not sure I want to trust them with my motor.

Techno
10-12-2002, 10:06 AM
Some just use an electric to run all the time. If you wanted to use one for a primer put a check valve in the fuel line. The pump parrallals this valve. When off the valve opens. When on the valve closes to prevent the output from going to the input.

I don't know what the pumps are but some have mentioned blue and red holleys for full time use. 1 needs a regulator and the other doesn't?

175checkmate
10-12-2002, 03:58 PM
I installed one of the carter pumps, no regulator needed. 3.5-4 psi.
The hardes thing to remember is to turn it on after coming off the beach.

Rickracer
10-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Run the switched power to the relay from your ignition switch, and 12 or 14 ga. from the battery to and from the relay to power the pump, then you can use your toggle for a master kill switch for the pump. (or not) No more turning the pump on and off, it'll work off the ignition switch. :cool:

175checkmate
10-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Now you tell me. I ran it off a relay and installed a switch on the dash.

sho305
10-14-2002, 07:49 AM
Still using the old bulb. Have to find a check, have seen brass ones for natural gas that open easy, but not knowing if the seal is good for gas.

What if you ran the relay from the choke if using just for priming?

Froze here last night. With tears of sadness, I drained the fluid of life from my lower units yesterday...think my Merc has a bad seal too; very white. Reached indicated 47mph in 85hp Bayliner Saturday before it dropped into the 50s.

Dhadley
10-14-2002, 08:01 AM
That's what I did - used the bulb (with valves) to keep the fuel going in the right direction. OMC had a set up for the V8 primer but I don't know if the parts are still available.

sho305
10-14-2002, 08:19 AM
Might be a good idea to leave the bulb anyway for whatever reason I guess, just in case. I'll have to go pump shopping this winter.

Travis Fulton
01-03-2003, 09:17 PM
holly blue- requires a regulator
holly red- no regulator

Rickracer
01-04-2003, 09:02 AM
On some motors, even the red pump can have a bit too much pressure. There is an easy fix for that though, both the red and blue pump have a built-in pressure regulator. The blue uses higher pressure and an external regulator to help overcome high G-force launches in drag cars, as it has to push fuel forward against as high as 1G. The pressure in either can be adjusted by changing or altering the internal regulator spring. :cool: