PDA

View Full Version : 20ft. LaveyCraft 20...Progress Report

sosmerc
06-25-2001, 01:13 PM
73.5 on the gps this morning with loner 25P Tempest. My project 2.5 175 with Laser EFI seems to be running pretty strong....and I'm beginning to learn how to "fly"....my wife's got the scream'n part down pretty good too!
Can't wait to try the 28 Chopper. I was very surprised and impressed with the Tempest...it ran faster than the 26 Chopper I recently borrowed...maybe the Chopper was in ill state of tune. I keep my eyes glued to the dual EGT...she's getting just a tad above 1200 and that has me scared...I back out very carefully when it looks like it is creeping above 1200. Love the boat.

daytona
07-05-2001, 12:37 PM
Hi sosmerc Be carful not to scare the lady! It screws up future boat improvements. Been there,done that. rick

sosmerc
07-05-2001, 02:23 PM
and I'm going to be purchasing a good jacket and helmet soon to help ease her (well founded) concerns!

sosmerc
07-10-2001, 09:08 AM
Got a chance yesterday morning for another test....this time using the 28 Chopper.....77.1 on gps at 5900rpm. It took some practice and some time to figure out that carrying the bow too high was slower than bringing it back down just a bit to level the boat, yet still have most of the boat out of the water. I thought Choppers like to be raised to the moon, but in my case best speed was with the propshaft about an 1 and 1/2 below bottom. Seems like I'm having to trim a bit too much to carry the bow....going to see if the prop shop can put a little more bow lift into this prop. That 25 Tempest is looking more impressive at 73mph...with more seat time there may be some speed left in that prop too. I'm feeling my goal of 80mph with this setup may be possible with the right weather and water conditions (and prop). This boat may be a heavy pig, but I'm very pleased with the handling and performance. The 2.5 carb 175 mated to an old Laser 220 EFI system is working out pretty well. Yesterday my exhaust temps were staying pretty steady around 1200 at wide open and the power must be there to be able to swing the 28 so close to 6000.
Next step is lowering the engine two holes on the jack so that I can try some other props when the spirit moves me. Can't even imagine having a performance boat without a hydraulic jack...makes prop testing so much easier...and the GPS speedo with recall should be a "must have"!