PDA

View Full Version : Buffing products

Avance33
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know of any GOOD product for buffing out. I have a Pantera that had stickers on for a while and when i took them off you can see where the stickers were, unfornally the but has gelcoat and i have been told it's a pain for it to be all white again. any sug ?

rchevelle71
08-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know of any GOOD product for buffing out. I have a Pantera that had stickers on for a while and when i took them off you can see where the stickers were, unfornally the but has gelcoat and i have been told it's a pain for it to be all white again. any sug ?

If its Gelcoat, first wetsand, then buff, lets see some pics of the Pantera.

gutlassracing
08-27-2009, 12:22 AM
I used some 3m extra cut tonight on a stv i just got that is all gel and really made it pop out nice .. I com back with some 3m swirl mark remover and then hand glazed it and what a difference it made !! I do body work and paint for aliving and all we use is 3m products !!!

Cobra1racer
08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
TR heavy duty. The stuff will last for years on the shelf. I opened up a jug that was 15 years old, as good as it was when it was brand new.

wca_tim
08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
the 3m extra heavy marine stuff works well, and I use aquabuff2000 more than that on gel. either seems to cut best working fast with a good lambswool pad. either one maybe followed up with machine glaze and finesse it 2 does an awesome job. not an expert but that's what's worked best for me.

KIBBEY
08-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I used some 3m extra cut tonight on a stv i just got that is all gel and really made it pop out nice .. I com back with some 3m swirl mark remover and then hand glazed it and what a difference it made !! I do body work and paint for aliving and all we use is 3m products !!!

:iagree:Thats all you need

MY HST
09-14-2009, 12:21 PM
where do u get wizard products from?

oregondunes
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
what about aqua buff ?

oregondunes
10-12-2009, 11:39 PM
so I took the bait........bought some aqua buff 1000 (as I only have/had some light oxidation).

I spent nearly 4 hours today just cutting just the top of the bow, then followed it up with 3 different polishes.

McGuires Marine Polish
Wenol Hard Wax
West Marines Polish

I have to say that the Aqua Buff wasnt easy to do by myself in fair weather. It really needs to stay wet. I later found a few places that in the right light and angle you can still see some light hazing.

The 3 polishes all had their good points. Some easier to use, some easier to remove and some with a better luster in the end.

I like the way the Mcguires applies. put on damp and is easy to spread evenly.

I like the way the West Marine product was to remove around tight areas (much thinner product)

In the end I really liked the Wenol Hard Wax. Too bad it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. It applies evenly and has a much brighter appearance when completed.

here is a pic of the end results

150aintenuff
10-22-2009, 02:28 PM
gellcoat does better wet sanded than anything... 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, compound, polish, and that should give you your ultiMATE SHINE... wax should only provide the uv protection and final gloss

150aintenuff
10-22-2009, 02:30 PM
and best time to wetsand is in the rain. so great winter project

WARLOCK
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
and best time to wetsand is in the rain. so great winter project
Thats funny you mention the rain. I was wet sanding a Talon 22 of mine a few years ago in the rain. I must have had 3 neighbors come over, wondering what the heck I was doing. I does make it much easier. Later, Dave

Ted Stryker
03-26-2010, 08:47 PM
gellcoat does better wet sanded than anything... 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, compound, polish, and that should give you your ultiMATE SHINE... wax should only provide the uv protection and final gloss

I agree, that advice should take care of a very neglected finish to it's top potential... Some Guy's go way coarse like 600-800 grit and finish sanding at 1200 then buff... That is way to rough and incomplete IMO, and some Guys have no problem with doing that but I guess it depends on what each individual considers as a truly flat and gloss finish... Also remember to use a sponge under the sandpaper with very light strokes, and take Your time or You'll get some hard to remove finger trails... If You finish sanding at 2500 grit followed with a quality diminishing grit compound, followed by a quality poish to recondition the gel, and then a wax for sealed protection You'll have a full-on no BS slick finish... My other recommendation is to USE GEL COAT FINISHING PRODUCTS ONLY if it's not painted...