PDA

View Full Version : exhaust porting

Ilovespeed
09-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Hey does having exhaust ported help overall performance or does it just make it out of the hole quicker and sound a lot louder???How much is it to get it doe aswell???

Thanks

Tyler

vector mike
09-06-2002, 06:09 AM
It is probably the best way to gain the most HP in one modification. If you are considering it be sure to take it to someone with a good reputation for doing this type of mod. You can ruin a good motor real fast getting Bubba down the street that modifys dirt bikes to work on it. You will pay through the nose to get it done too. $1500-$2000, if not more, for a good port job. :)

vector mike
09-06-2002, 06:12 AM
If you are considering it, there is a place down here that does good work. Diamond Marine. There should be someone closer to you if you ask around.

H2Onut
09-06-2002, 07:54 AM
and shave the heads and a good set of reeds as well.

baddjonny
09-20-2002, 11:48 AM
I noticed on a lot of photos that a LOT of meat was remove from the bottom of each port don't think it can be done too easy with a die grinder looks like the only that won't take forever is a hoging mill in a milling machine. Am I correct ?

thanks baddjonny

Rusrog
09-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Yes... Cutting the exhaust chest would take you hours of grinding and then you wouldn't have the specific angles correct when you were done. Call Jay Smith Racing Engines @ 1-281-576-5088 and send it to him to do. He does a gret job and does it pretty cheap. I had him do mine and save me the time.... WELL worth it.
Now depending on the RPM you are wanting to turn... Do the heads and reeds and cages and work on your set-up before you go tearing down a perfectly good motor. You can find some tremendous gains in the little stuff. If you are not planning on turning the motor much over 7000 or 7500 RPM....do your bolt on stuff first before you go cutting up the block.

Just my 2cents....

Russ Rogers

NPK2003
09-21-2002, 12:10 AM
opening up the exhaust for midsection? Cutting the chest will not help out of the hole performance. The more you cut, the more r's you need to turn to make use of the modification. You loose bottom grunt! A bob's, L&S, and other exhaust snouts will be noisier for sure and should help launch as the backpressure from the submerged midsection can be bypassed by the exhaust gas. Anyways, loud is kewl if the dnr isn't round. JMO!;)