PDA

View Full Version : at what point is a ski vest inadequate?

hawk232
08-13-2009, 01:43 PM
New to the whole fast boats thing and want to be safe. I was curious at what speed do most recreational boaters make the switch to a lifeline or comparable. I know some people will say "at any speed" which is true, but not necessarily required. Kind of like "all cars would be safer with a full 10 pt roll cage" which is true, but not really necessary until running 9.99.

FWIW my boat runs upper 70s now and will hopefully be mid 80s soon.

Thanks!!

transomstand
08-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't consider a ski vest safe in your boat now. If I had to pick a number, I'd say 60 mph is about the limit.

It's not just that it will stay on. Competition vests provide impact protection, people are rarely just tossed out, you tend to rattle around inside a little first. Even if you don't impact the boat, that first bounce off the water at 75 mph is definetly an attention getter. The single biggest argument for a comp vest is, after you come to a stop in the water, your probably not having your best day, and it will rotate you upright while your brain is trying to catch up with what happened(if your brain is doing much of anything at that point, you might just be takin a little nap:D)

Don't go by any of that impact rating stuff on ski vests, most of those ratings were removed, because they were just an arbitrary figure somebody pulled out of thier head.

hawk232
08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't consider a ski vest safe in your boat now. If I had to pick a number, I'd say 60 mph is about the limit.

It's not just that it will stay on. Competition vests provide impact protection, people are rarely just tossed out, you tend to rattle around inside a little first. Even if you don't impact the boat, that first bounce off the water at 75 mph is definetly an attention getter. The single biggest argument for a comp vest is, after you come to a stop in the water, your probably not having your best day, and it will rotate you upright while your brain is trying to catch up with what happened(if your brain is doing much of anything at that point, you might just be takin a little nap:D)

Don't go by any of that impact rating stuff on ski vests, most of those ratings were removed, because they were just an arbitrary figure somebody pulled out of thier head.

exactly the kind of info I was looking for!!! Thanks!!

anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

Kartracer
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
exactly the kind of info I was looking for!!! Thanks!!

anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 90 mph boat and currently only have a ski vest. I've been looking for an alternative for $300+ jacket, but there isn't one. Anything else either doesn't have leg straps, or doesn't have the impact protection.

Sonik
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
FWIW my boat runs upper 70s now and will hopefully be mid 80s soon.

Thanks!!

I would have to say that the #160 high-performance jacket would be a minimum for me if I were running your boat. These can be had quite often for under $300 straight from Lifeline since they have given deals to S&F members on more than one occasion. The #170 comp vest is $100-150 more but includes a certification and a higher level of impact-resistant material throughout.

I bought a 160 for $280 last fall (and will be buying another this year)and its actually more comfy than I thought it would be....and considering its purpose, it is money well spent in my mind :thumbsup:

wideglide55
08-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Always remember any vest is better than none and you have to put it on for it to work,not just carry it in the boat.

dorton
08-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd say go ahead, and get one. Back to cars with cages, if you wreck a 10.0 car, and you live through it in one piece, unless you're very very unlucky, usually you don't end up face down in water. Thats what worrries me. Right now my boat(when it runs) is mid 80s, and will go low 90s soon, I got the Lifeline 170. I like the idea of being alive to complain about how much good jackets cost much better than the alternative.

rock
08-14-2009, 10:01 PM
There are a couple decent vests out there that are better than a ski vest but not as good as a Lifeline. They have a small collar and leg straps. Zippered and buckled. They sell for around $100. Got em in my fishin boat.
Rock

FlowMaxx
08-14-2009, 10:34 PM
West marine sells some "SAR" vests (search and rescue) Bright orange with crotch straps and a collar. No thicker than a ski vest, but a little added protection for about $100. Nothing is better than a race vest though.....

Dave Strong
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Ski Vest for skiing. Lifeline for go fast boating!

baja200merk
09-10-2009, 11:50 PM
my lifeline is not uncomfortable, no real excuse not to wear it... if your gonna cry about paying 4-500 for a vest that could save your life you need to think about another hobby :thumbsup:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/koolkid620/P2170251.jpg?t=1252644505

BIGA
10-09-2009, 03:28 PM
my lifeline is not uncomfortable, no real excuse not to wear it... if your gonna cry about paying 4-500 for a vest that could save your life you need to think about another hobby :thumbsup:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/koolkid620/P2170251.jpg?t=1252644505
well put , i agree, most of us wont hesitate to blow another grand for a speed product but hedge on the safety gear, ask the question, whats your life worth. lost a dear friend last year didnt have a vest on at all.

150aintenuff
10-15-2009, 12:00 PM
max for ski vest is really only about 50 mph.. i tore one up pretty good falling off a tube at about 45 mph... and it was brand new... kept me a float tho even tho it was torn.. but it went in the trash at the end of the day.. i got away with a ski vest in my boat... but i wouldnt reccomend it. i have a mustang survival jacket for next go around.. thats tested at 100 mph and looks similar to a lifeline but a tad cheeper.if only because i get mustang at a greater discount over lifeline

wing nut
03-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I've taken a 'swim' at 90+ with my lifeline, and I will NEVER wear a ski vest on a High performance boat. Its not worth it. Spend the extra $$ and live to talk about it.

-Scott

specboatops
03-14-2011, 02:24 PM
IF your asking the question... It's that little voice inside your head tellin you to get on the ball and get a better life jacket. Listen to it ! :):)

hawk232
03-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the input, but check the thread dates ;) I bought myself a lifeline 170 comp vest for Christmas 2009!! I dont even get in the boat without it on now!

Davey W
03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Mine not only saved me from drowning,but it allso took alot of the impact when i went thru the dash,lifeline they work,

wing nut
03-17-2011, 06:08 PM
whoops, sorry didnt realize this was an OLD thread..:leaving:

Dave Strong
03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
whoops, sorry didnt realize this was an OLD thread..:leaving:

That doesn't matter it never hurts to bring up the saftey thing now and again.

Dave

JR IN JAX
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
In Florida you can surely die of heatstroke from wearing a really good vest during the Summer when maybe you might drown.:D:D:D

I found the cheesiest PWC CG rated PFD to wear that did not zipper up the front so I would not be hassled by the Marine Patrol for nor zipping it up. It does have four straps but the no zipper design lets it legally flow air under the jacket on hot days....

BTW, the CG implies that the max safe speed for hitting the water and being uninjured with standard PFDs is 65 MPH which is why they wanted PWCs limited to that so as they wrote "You could fall off and reboard without expectation of injury".

Z FANTASYJETMAN
06-10-2011, 11:21 AM
call lifeline they have a large stock of used recerified vests , I picked up a chute jacket for half price and was in awesome shape:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JR IN JAX
06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
call lifeline they have a large stock of used recerified vests , I picked up a chute jacket for half price and was in awesome shape:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I have always wanted to go over Niagra Falls on a PWC, with a chute jacket it would be fun......