PDA

View Full Version : Propping a 2002 with a Merc drag.

rong@fallsnet.com
09-04-2002, 06:53 AM
Could use help. Own a allie 2002 with a merc 2.5 300h.p. drag. This boat has a trolling motor on bow. Have been told with this set-up, round ears are in, cleaver types are out, due to the fact the cleavers don't carry bow well, and could bow hook on me. Would appreciaste and prop mgs. or experienced types advise. This is a fishing boat, but want prop for best acceleration. Not concerned about going 115. Just like to accelerate as quick as possible. Thanx, Ron.

WILDCAT2.5
09-04-2002, 07:04 AM
I run a 26" laser2 and use it for all my toys

Markus

BRENT GILL
09-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Hey , a 300 drag ???? a trolling motor ??? you are kidding right??

vector mike
09-04-2002, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine has one and he has tried a few different props on his. Mazco RE 27, SRX 29, Trophy 26 4 blade and a Hoss Triton 1 29. He says that the Hoss is the best all around handling and performance prop. He also said that the has been told that the HydroMotive T4X 4 blade is supposeed to be an awsome prop on the Allisons.:)

Nosubforcid
09-04-2002, 06:03 PM
How far back is the motor? What gear ratio case are you using? Hoss triton, Yamaha semi cleaver, or maybe a Lightning ET would be where I would start looking. Unless you are going circle racing it won't matter one bit if you have that trolling motor on the front as long as the CG is still properly located.

patchesII
09-04-2002, 08:54 PM
the problem with cleavers is not so much that they want carry the bow but more that they tend to make the ass-end want to ski around on you. john tiger did a prop test on an allison a few years ago and he did not like the handling characteristics of the cleaver in the mid one teens. my votes would be drag prop, dah worked srx, hoss triton, and et.probably in the 27 pitch range and not necessarily in that order. we also tried a hyperdrive on our 2002 and was a strong prop. allison 7710 runs this combo and as of right now he runs his with a drag prop. either way pay attention to weight distribution and be careful. flat out with the right prop i would think your looking at speeds around 110-112. unloaded of course. be careful and good luck, erik

missinglink
09-04-2002, 09:47 PM
I would give Randy Pierson a call or better yet bring your boat to him he is in Avon,Minnesota so you are not that far away.I had him set up my Allison and he did a great job He also has a boat like yours with a F-1 engine.Let me know if you need his number I have it someplace.