PDA

View Full Version : 140 Johnson

Mickdund
09-03-2002, 11:34 PM
I have a friend that has a 140 Johnson V4,I think its around a 83 model, not for sure,anyway he tried running this weekend and he had no forward,but he had reverse any ideal whats wrong and is there a cheap fix

Rickracer
09-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Will it go into gear if your disconnect the cable and shift it manually at the motor?:cool:

Mickdund
09-03-2002, 11:43 PM
Rick,Don't know he didn't say, but I'll ask him,if he can shift it manually at the motor does that mean a new shift cable?

Rickracer
09-04-2002, 08:04 AM
There is a plastic gear inside the shifter that will break if it's pushed too hard (like if the cable is binding) I went through 2 of these in 10 years with the shifter for my '76 135. But that boat saw almost daily use for several of those years. The good news is that is probably cheaper than going into the lower unit. I don't know if that particular L/U has the hydraulic shift assist, but if it does, low oil level or water in the L/U will cause it not to shift properly either. That would not be such good news. Your local dealer will most likely have the gear for the shifter in stock, should you need it, if not, I can get it for you. If the unit will shift manually, you'll probably want to go ahead and pull the shifter apart and have a look. Whether it's the cable or the gear it will need to be opened. Once it's apart, you should be able to move the cable by hand if it's in decent shape. Look at the teeth on the gears where they mesh together, if any are broken, that would explain it.