PDA

View Full Version : Did Glastron apply a clearcoat?

Trip
07-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Another noob question;
I have a 78 GT-150, that is silver metal flake, the finish is dull and rough. It still sparkles in the sun, but I can't tell if the rough surface I am feeling is the flakes themselves or if it is the "Clear" the previous owner applied with a spray can?? Yuck!!

It would build my confidence if I knew if Glastron used a clear coat or mixed the clear in the gelcoat...

I don't want to send it into the shop to be cleared if I can cut and buff, but at the same time I don't want to trash the flakes by sanding them.

Does anybody shoot huge "70's" flake anymore?

YouTube - 78 Glastron GT-150, Silver Bullet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FupIsSicaag) Just a walk-around.

But here's what it's "Supposed" to look like...
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt48/PoopdogSays/78gt150.jpg

Here is what I have close up...
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt48/PoopdogSays/NewCamera496.jpg

Thanks Guys!
Any help or opinions are appreciated!

Mark Poole ModVP
07-30-2009, 11:41 AM
If it feels rough it is probably beyond buffing. I have buffed clearcoat over flake and brought it back out, but it was only faded, not rough.

Yes, that boat was built with clear gel coat with flake behind it. Sounds like reclearing would be the only option unless you have the boat repainted solid color with a good paint system like Allcraft 2000.

Trip
07-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Ok thanks for the input... I talked with my local bodyman and he told me about a grand for new 'flake and clear. I guess that's what I have to do! Is it worth it?

Mark Poole ModVP
08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I would say so. A single color paint job with Allcraft will cost a lot more than that.

quebec#1
08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Thats a good price ! You might be able to just wet sand it down and have them shoot clear on it.

Stitch King
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I had the same color boat. I wetsanded and shot with PPG Concept Clear.

Keep in mind that wetsanding will change the colors of some of the edges of the flakes because you are sanding the plating off of them. Mine were a brassy/gold color. No one ever noticed but me....

Fuzzbutt
08-12-2009, 12:24 AM
My silver is similar to yours and a year older. Tough to keep it looking like new when it is 30+ years old. I think it is one of those old dilemma's where your spending as much as the boat cost you when you bought it to "upgrade" the looks be it interior or exterior work.

Is it worth it to you that is the question.

DOUBLE J
08-12-2009, 07:41 AM
I had the exact boat. It was my first boat and man do I have some memory from it. Mine was all original with the clear flaking off. I sanded it down and a buddy of mine sprayed it with about 4 coats of clear and it looked like brand new. All the time and labor is sanding down the old clear coat off. I think I had less than $200 in the project.

Trip
08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Well, the rough surface I was feeling, is in fact, rattle can clear. I know this because the clear is starting to lift and is all cloudy from the boat sinking. I picked at it with my fingernail and a small piece chipped off. Under that is some decent looking flake!

Time to wet sand the whole boat and have it cleared correctly! What grit sand paper should I start with? 2,000, 3,000?

All comments welcome!