PDA

View Full Version : Velaro yt, 260 need input

PIT BULL
06-23-2001, 10:59 PM
My buddy has one, its a little hairy up top. He is running an uncut 14x5 32 cleaver, I suggested to him to start there. What is the best type of steering to run on his boat.

Racemore
07-18-2001, 09:20 PM
At least dual cable if not hyd.steering. I like cable on a YT.I feel the prop work in the steering wheel.I also like 10" of setback for overall performance although I've been faster with 6"s.As far as a cleaver they need a little stern lift taken out to me.The fastest Valero YT with a cleaver I know of was Gene at REMCO propellers ran King of the Hill in Crystal River fl. around 1985,a 2.4 on nitros with a prop he work the stern lift out and put bow lift in
117mph on the gun.A 32" Hoss is hard to beat on top and a 26 or a 28 is good all around.

Fl Boy in ILL
07-18-2001, 09:38 PM
Racemore,
I was there that day watching at the Barge Canal just north of Crystal River and saw Gene run back to back 113mph and 116 in the final race against Jim Dixon from either Jax. or savahnah Ga. (don't recall) Jim ran 114 or 115 with his 2.4 on an Eliminator. Quite a site I have pictures somewhere. Thanks for bringing up those old memories.

Rick C
Fl Boy in ILL

Racemore
07-18-2001, 10:01 PM
Gene has the picture on the wall at his shop.Still had the prop as of about a year or so ago.Jim Dixon was bad with his 19 Eliminator.The guy that got me going with outboards was a good friend of Jims and raced a orange Critchfield V bottom with a mod vp,6 duces on nitros,his name was Gene McCormick.I started to buy Jims Black Sleekcraft tunnel V.That was like 1983.