PDA

View Full Version : clear coat OR not to clear coat that is the question.

nitewolf
09-02-2002, 04:43 AM
im fixen to redo a 1985 86 350v comanche Ranger its a red mirra flake now im thinkin about a white color for two reasons its cool to the touch in the summer months and it probably hides small scratches better than black, or the red thats on it now.i dont wanna put a whole lot a money in this project but i dont want to look like $#@% when im done either any body used a clear coat latley that was non yellowing (what do they call it) photo chemical reactive or somthing to that effect.. any help would be appreciated also do i need to add a stretching agent to the mix? :eek:

vector mike
09-02-2002, 09:29 AM
I have sprayed clear coat over paint that has been on a boat for a while but never over the gel coat. I used Chroma Base clear and you do not add a stretching agent to it.

Techno
09-02-2002, 09:58 AM
White is a nice color for looking good most of the time but doesn't high light a vehicles body lines.
The catalyzed clears today are fuel proof and very durable so the yellowing thing isn't going to happen. You might want to go with a 2 stage paint and go a bit more glitzy since these use clear in the process and are easier to paint than a single stage and clear(I've heard).
Any catylized paint uses Iso-cyanate and should have a supplied air system. Charcoal masks are taking a chance.

You don't need a flex agent.

Something else to consider is Flip-Flop paint. I used red Flip-Flop over white on my Vette and it accents it nice. It causes a reflective red tint, not a color change only a tint, on different curved parts. Not too pricey or hard to apply. It still looks white, only a hint of reddish at angles in bright sun.
You could add flake to the clear too if you wanted to put a cheap accent in places. Or use pearl paint. Still a light color but gives a nice look.

You have to keep the items you add down so the "per eaches" don't eat up your money. A little of something special though won't cost too much but add quite bit to the final look.
Primer/paint
Primer/paint/clear coat- or a 2 stage system
primer/paint/something special/ clear coat
primer/base coat/Flake&clearcoat/2-Kandies/black/special/special/clear coat
You see what I mean. It can add up real quick!

I'm painting my boat with clear coat but won't walk on it with shoes. I doubt any paint can take the abuse of sand or whatever carried on shoes.

vector mike
09-03-2002, 05:44 AM
The most durable paint you can use on your boat is AwlGrip. I've tried Imron, Base Coat Clear coat and found out that AwlGrip holds up the best.

JIMK
09-03-2002, 11:42 AM
i have painted race cars before and red was a common color, but changing to a lighter color,especially white we had to paint it black first to keep the red from bleeding through. anybody else heard of this? maybe this will help keep you from doing it twice.Jim King

Techno
09-03-2002, 03:03 PM
Sealer or epoxy primer. Both will seal off the sub-stuff from bleeding through, no matter what it is. The sealer is also sold in colors to put an even color down for the color, so you don't need as much to cover.