PDA

View Full Version : Klegecell laminate schedule

activator22
08-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Anybody that has laminated using Klegecell as the core, I sure would appreciate your help - I want to make some bulkheads and floor pieces, using 1/2" and 3/4" Klegecell as the core, what sort of lamination schedule did you use, I was going to use 1.5oz mat and either 4 or 8oz cloth on both sides..... Appreciate any advice.

Techno
08-27-2002, 02:37 PM
I used 2 layers of 6 oz. cloth both sides. I didn't use mat since it is inferior to the cloth and I didn't see what it would contribute, other than weight.

It is far easier to laminate the sheets with out doing the edges. You can do the edges later if you want. Also It might be worth the trouble to laminate the sheets and then cut the parts out. This has the minor problem of cutting glass though.
If you need it they can be lammed with a curveor bow in them for added strength if it fits the use.

I used 1/2" for the floor, which bridges something like 45" wide. Some stiffeners were added underneath in the seating/walking area.

I found it easier to pour resin on the bare sheet and squeegee it around to pre-wet it. Then lay on a layer and repeat the pour and squeegee, 2nd layer and repeat. Flip it over on some plastic and do the other side right away if you want. I squeegeed all excess resin off after the 2nd layer was wetted and done.
Body filler squeegees worked pretty well.

The 3/4" core will be twice as stiff as the 1/2". Your strength is in the skins and the seperation of them.

A few pictures on my site but don't show too much.

racer
08-31-2002, 12:06 AM
knytec 1708 on both sides is far superior to cloth or mat, it is easy to work with, glass the foam and then cut it out.

Techno
08-31-2002, 06:59 AM
What is knytec and is it more expensive?
Kevlar is better but not at its price.
Graphite is best but not at its moon price.

Pete 88 Venus
08-31-2002, 06:33 PM
It is a 17oz. biaxial fabric with a layer of 3/4oz. mat stitched to one side. It is much like woven roven as far as weight and strength goes. It would deffinetley be far superior to mat alone, but from what I have seen 2 layers of 6oz. cloth would be just about equivelent in strength but be a bit harder to work with and take longer with the multiple layups, cloth would also be lighter since it would require less resin to wet out. For the floor pieces I would probably stick with the cloth, then for any of the structural things you would be doing I may use the 1708. When you are done you could cover everything with another layer of 3/4 oz. mat, just to give a uniform surface and to have another layer of resin/glass to protect from moisture. JMO

Ro Yale
09-03-2002, 12:02 AM
Mat acts as a bondind aid when applying cloth and it will also clean up rough edges on the ends where the cloth is cut.
Later, Ro