PDA

View Full Version : Jackplate

Mickdund
08-26-2002, 08:41 PM
I'm fixing to install a jackplate with a 8" setback,the question is do you have to lengthen your control cables and your steering cables,or does it really depend on your set-up,my boat is in the shop having the transom repaired,so I haven't had a chance to measure for the extra 8".I was just wondering if it is a general rule of thumb when installing a jackplate to lengthen your cables.

Barefoot Bob
08-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Im not an expert, but I didnt have to on my Baja Fish & Ski when I added mine ;)

vector mike
08-27-2002, 04:54 AM
Usually you have enough slack in them to not have to get longer ones but all you can do is try it.

Mickdund
08-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Thanx Bob and Mike for the info.That is what I was hoping to hear.

Rich Matyskiel
08-28-2002, 01:10 PM
I had to get longer steering cables for my checkmate. The cables came out of the side of the splashwell close to the motor. With the setback, I had to cut a new hole in the transom (through the top deck section) Then they were a couple of inches too short. I'm still waiting for mine to come in.

Barefoot Bob
08-28-2002, 03:19 PM
That was exactly what happened to me on my Baja. I just used a saw to open up the hole a bit farther back for the steering cables. The thing I didnt like was the small bind I had in the steering from the tight bend in the cables. And I didnt really want to hack the boat up with a new hole. So there is another way around all of this. And that is to go with the Sea Star Pro series hydraulic steering. Then you just have hoses, and is it nice to steer. I have it installed now. Although I am $900.00 poorer.:cool:

84exciter
09-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Rickracer can get it cheaper than $900:eek: /

Barefoot Bob
09-01-2002, 10:21 PM
I sure wish I would have known Rick Before I picked mine up. He could have helped me with alot of problems I am having. It seems he has all the answers.:)

84exciter
09-01-2002, 10:24 PM
don't feel too bad i paid $875 in 1999,didn't know about this whole site:rolleyes:

Barefoot Bob
09-01-2002, 10:35 PM
I here ya, But I have a couple of bad sleeve's in a 2000 225 pro max that I just purchased because the ring pins came out. I wish I would have had the pistons he recomended in it from the begining. Then I wouldnt have this big headach. The steering works great. I just wish I had a motor that would work. It only had 5 hours on the rebuild. And I was just skiing with it at 3000 RPM for break in....BUMMER huh:confused:

H2Onut
09-01-2002, 11:44 PM
IF YOUR RING PINS CAME OUT IT IS A COMMON PROBELM WITH HIGH RPM MOTORS, JAY SMITH, US1 AND OTHER SAN SIDE STAKE THE PINS AND MIKE THAT PROBLEM DISAPEAR.

Barefoot Bob
09-02-2002, 11:55 AM
I know, its just that the guy that just built the motor for me was suppose to have done that. This is my very first Merc. I have been an Evenrude owner all of my life and this problem hes really left a sour taste in my mouth towards Merc. if you know what I meen. The biggest thig is that the guy that built it is 430 miles away from me. So it was the second time down there with the boat now. And I have been without my boat most of the summer. :( :mad:

us1
09-02-2002, 08:59 PM
It’s a simple problem with a simple solution. Once repined they are good forever as far as the pins go. If not done or done right you can end up with catastrophic damage.

Barefoot Bob
09-02-2002, 09:03 PM
Well thats what haapened to mine. Thanks for the info