PDA

View Full Version : Decappatated Stratos bass boat, need help

BenKeith
08-22-2002, 08:57 PM
I've pulled the cap of my Stratos to get a lot of very wet, very heavy foam. I'm want to go back with a good grade flotation foam. What would be the best to use and where do I get it?

While I have the cap off, I want to spray clear gel over the faded dull, dingy looking gel that's on the boat. Don't want to repaint, for the most part the color is good and has heavy glitter. I would like to mix a little color in the first coat, if you can do that with gel just to help the Navy in a coulpe of areas getting a little thin.

I've never sprayed gel, what's involved. I've already order nozzle and fluid tip for my Sharp's spraygun to spray gel. Where is the best source for a good gel and what ever additives I have to put in it? How much should I mix at one time? How long before it starts to gel in gun and what do I clean gun with between coats.? Give me the Gel 101 course.

I'm also replacing the carpet, where's a good sourse for good plush carpet that I can get to wrap around all those compartment doors I will have to cover?

This is a lot, but I hope ya'll can help me out on this project.

Keith

Georgia Boy
08-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Well check www.fcgi.com they have just about anything you want. also you do understand that if you spray the gel you will have to wet sand and buff it all to a gloss, a good imron clear would do wonders.

175checkmate
08-23-2002, 04:58 AM
Do you have any pictures. My buddy has a stratos fish and ski. Very heavy boat. He may have a wet foam problem also. Where is the foam located?

BenKeith
08-23-2002, 06:14 AM
Don't have a digital camera.

The whole hull underneat the floor is full of foam, also back in the transome area. All the foam under the floor was saturated. There's two ways to check

You can take the floor drain cover out and get a core sample there but you will need to refill and seal the hole you make in the foam. If not, it will let water in.

If you pull the carpet back there are white plugs you can take out to get core samples, again. fill the holes.

GA Boy,

I really prefer to use Gel since it's gel I'm going over and I think the gel will hold up better. I've thought about using something else but haven't talked myself out of it yet.

175checkmate
08-23-2002, 06:39 AM
Does your stratos have a proposing problem. We are going to take the boats out today and play with the jackplate we maybe to high. This boat bounces real bad very fun to ride and watch but not real good for any kind of top speed. Will pull up the carpet and look for wet foam.

baddjonny
08-23-2002, 09:15 AM
If you really want to do yourself a favor don't foam the bottom just put some in the gunnels and under the deck area's just finished chopping out wet foam in my checkmate only thing I put back was good old air. It floats good too . foam under the floor just gets wet and makes the boat flip over when the boat fills with water.

just my two cents

jon b

Liqui-Fly
08-23-2002, 12:46 PM
Do you have a tunnel or v bottom in your boat? If it's a tunnel do the sponsons have bulkheads in them or are they open the enitre length?

David

BASSIN
08-29-2002, 09:15 PM
Thought I would kick this one back up. Any pics :cool:

BenKeith
08-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Don't have a digital camera and didn't even think about taking some with the 35mm and have them put on a Kodak disk until I saw the commercial on TV last night. On top of that, not sure how to post pics on this site. Projects probably too far along now. Getting ready to put floor back in and fill it with foam this weekend. If I can remeber to get film, I will take some 35's for the rest of the job, have Kodak do their thing and try to post them when finished. But that's several weeks away. Still have to recoat the clear coat, so it's shiney new looking plus buy and install new carpet.