PDA

View Full Version : Valaro engine height

xstream
08-21-2002, 08:59 PM
I have just added a brother for my Vegas. A story concerning my new boat is at: http://www.screamandfly.com/screamandfly/jw2.htm
I have removed and rigged my 200 b/max from my Vegas until I find another suitable engine.
One question. Engine height. It has the manual jack but the motor is completely stock.
HELP----
Thanx

vector mike
08-22-2002, 05:48 AM
What type of prop are you running and how much setback does that plate have?

xstream
08-22-2002, 06:57 AM
The boat is getting a new contol this morning but I believe the CMC is 5 or 6 setback. The prop on now is a 26 Laser II. I have a merc 26 and a Wolf 30 chopper besides.

vector mike
08-22-2002, 07:05 AM
What type of gearcase do you have? Does it have a low water pickup?

xstream
08-22-2002, 07:10 AM
It has the stock gearcase. No low water pickup

vector mike
08-22-2002, 07:32 AM
Well, you are kind of limited to motor height if you don't have a LWP. There is kind of a cheeting way to get it a little higher though. You need to plug the top two holes on both sides of your water pickup holes with set screws. Be sure to locktite them in. You wouldn't want them going places that they shouldn't go. This will give you the opportunity to lift the motor higher without sucking air. I did this to my motor before I got a LWP and it worked great. You're probably only going to be able to get it jacked up about 3"-4" below the bottom of the boat. Try it there and consider getting a LWP in the near future if you want to get the most out of your setup. Bob's does a nosecone/lwp job with a torque tab for about $400. It's a nice piece. That is what I have on mine.

xstream
08-22-2002, 07:42 AM
Thanx
I will get one ASAP. I meant to put one on the engine when it was on my Vegas but I was running 72 on GPS and couldn't seem to take time from the ride I was getting to do so. What prop do you suggest (26 or 30 that I have) for my current water pickup?

vector mike
08-22-2002, 07:58 AM
Where is your RPM at with each prop? You want to be on the high side of your RPM band at WOT. What year is your 200? I run mine at 6800 even though they say to spin it to 5800. You should be safe as long as you don't go over 7000 because it has cast pistons and a steel flywheel. The 30 might be a little sluggish out of the hole but might give you more top end. Depends on what you want to do. I run my 29 Cleaver almost all the time unless I plan on pulling people around all day on tubes or kneeboards then I use my 26 Trophy 4 blade.