PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning overspray from Plexiglas?

MAKO19
05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Guys I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I just repainted my electronics box with a 2-part polyurethane paint and I got over spray all over the Plexiglas window that I actually took off but didn't store far enough away from the boat. I also did some work with some rattle can paint and all of this over spray got on the window and I didn't realize it until now so it has had some time to cure. I'm sure it's going to be a P.I.T.A. to get off. Does anyone know of a product or method to remove this paint without melting or dulling the Plexiglas? I'm sure this has had to happen to somebody before?

transomstand
05-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Wow, you made a mess:D

Anything you use in the way of a solvent will melt the plexi. You'll need to use a fine abrasive, like detailers clay, or sand it with 1500 paper then buff with something like 3m microfinishing compound or plastic polish. Main thing is take your time, and don't use a grit that's too agressive. Hopefully it's not coated with a tint or anything, the abrasive may remove that too. There are also kits now for restoring sandblasted headlamps, they may work well for what your trying to do.

MAKO19
05-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah I made a mess! :o Painting is not my strong suit but I will say I am getting a bit better at it. This is the 3rd time I heard clay bar. I hope that works and then I can hit it with a coat of wax and be done with it.

pyro
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
:iagree: What transonstand said.

The solvents in the paints will actually etch into the plexi, so it's not just a matter of cleaning it off.
The surface will need to be refreshed abrasively.
Try some fine polishing compound on a slow rotary buffer with a foam wheel.
Go finer and finer until the offending marks are gone.

Bruster
05-26-2009, 11:34 AM
They make headlight polish and headlight polish kits. The wrong "polish" is just going to prolong your agony. This will get you pointed in the right direction.:thumbsup:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4252611.html

MAKO19
05-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Clay bar did not work. It did take some surfaces containments off and now the entire surfaces feels smooth but there are still spots of over spray. So now I am going to try and start with 2000 grit wet and then fine white compound and then mothers plastic polish followed up by a coat of flagship wax. Hopefully that does it. If it doesn't I am going to light it on fire!!!

Ever wonder why paint always sticks better to the places you don't want it to stick to? :mad:

velox
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=MAKO19;1673660]Clay bar did not work. It did take some surfaces containments off and now the entire surfaces feels smooth but there are still spots of over spray. So now I am going to try and start with 2000 grit wet and then fine white compound and then mothers plastic polish followed up by a coat of flagship wax. Hopefully that does it. If it doesn't I am going to light it on fire!!!

Before you sand, try and get some heavy plastic scratch polish.
In some brands there are 3 different levels of polish.
1 is cleaner 2 is fr light scratches and 3 is for heavier scratches.
It will take a considerable amount of elbow grease, but will worl. You can get paper to 3000 grit, but now you have to step it back with several different grades of polish.
If things are too bad go ahead and sand, but try to not jump too fast.
I have actually recovered plastic that had several coats of paint and sanded/polished it back and that was before the ultra fine papers were available.

transomstand
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
The clay may need to be your 2nd step, sounds like the stuff bit pretty good. Also, block sand if possible, less chance of distorting the surface of the plexi that way.

Bruster
05-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Like I said, the wrong stuff is just going to prolong your agony, but it looks like that's not a prob. LOL

Clay bar did not work. It did take some surfaces containments off and now the entire surfaces feels smooth but there are still spots of over spray. So now I am going to try and start with 2000 grit wet and then fine white compound and then mothers plastic polish followed up by a coat of flagship wax. Hopefully that does it. If it doesn't I am going to light it on fire!!!

Ever wonder why paint always sticks better to the places you don't want it to stick to? :mad:

MAKO19
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey thanks for helping the new guy out here fellas. I bought the turtle wax headlight lens restorer kit for 9 bucks at Advance Auto Parts and that did the trick. I went through 4 stages of grit sanding at perpendicular directions every time I went to a different grit. Then I buffed the plexi with the turtle wax lens restorer compound with a foam pad, then I buffed it with mothers plastic polish and then applied 2 coats of mothers carnuba wax. It looks pretty damn good at this point. If you get very close and look through it on an angle with enough light you can see very small scratches but you can't feel them. At this point it is good enough to use as my arm feels like it is going to fall off from sanding.

Thanks again :cheers: