PDA

View Full Version : Egine Height and trim use

Wild Eyed
08-19-2002, 07:35 PM
2000 Jav Renegade 18 with 150 Johnson and 6" setback jackplate. Current set up has motor 4.75" above transum with 24" Raker. Best speed (GPS) 62.9 mph @5500 RPM. If I'm trimmed all the way out Roostertail is above motor. Water press about 22 psi.
I've tried setting prop shaft at 3.5 BELOW the pad, but boat gets real squirrlly FAST and water press drops to about 12 psi if I trim all the way out! I'm thinking this boat should go a little faster than 62. I've got a 25" Renegade 4 blade that I've tried but there doesn't seem to be any difference in top speed.
Also I've been told that you want the motor trimmed all the way out. Is this true? As you can tell this is my first big motor (150, at least to me). When I lowered the motor to the current setup it seemed that I got more bow lift and the boat handled better (@max trim). Anybody's help will be appreciated!

vector mike
08-20-2002, 06:40 AM
If your triming out without lifting the bow you are losing thrust and efficiency. Your motor should be at 0° trim with bow up for best performance. Is the 6" jackplate you refered to have 6" of lift or 6" of setback? That speed is about right unless you have lightened your boat.