PDA

View Full Version : Wet Foam

Clint
08-19-2002, 08:06 AM
Replacing my floor and have found a lot of wet foam. I've been prying it out with a flat nail bar but there are some areas that I can't get to. Has anybody "melted" it out acetone....etc???? The boat is a Champion Super V Fishn/Ski and it looks like they pumped expanding foam in between the stringers after the floor was decked..........it is in every crack and crevice!!!!!!:confused:

baddjonny
08-19-2002, 08:20 AM
Just finished doing the same on a checkmate Ialso used a flat nailbar tried gas as acetone is much too expensive did not work ! just keep cutting the floor for more axcess and keep on choppin I know how you feel.

baddjonny

ps look up another floor repair thats my mess

vector mike
08-19-2002, 10:28 AM
To this day I have never understood why they do that. I guess they think they are making it more ridgid but all they're doing is rotting out the wood. When the foam is exposed to water it absorbs it even though it's not supposed to. Then the wood gets all wet and the rest rest is history.

Rich Matyskiel
08-28-2002, 09:42 AM
I just took out a good deal of foam out of my Checkmate (same as badjonnys). I cut round access pannels in the floor (not over the stringers) and then used knives and such where I could reach easily. Then I took a paint mixing tool, about 2" dia. and twisted the end a bit and sharpened it and attached it to a 4' electricians drill bit extension ( 3/16" dia, 4' long, home depot about $15) hooked it up to my drill and went to town. A cheap Forstner bit worked good too. I could feed the bit in through the holes and it would cut a tube through the foam. Then you can vacuum out the foam chips. It won't remove all the foam, but it gets 80-90% out, and it leaves air space so the rest will dry. I covered the holes with deck plates that you can get at most any marina, they are water tight and it allowes you to open the hull up any time for inspection, or additional drying when you aren't using the boat. My check is 21' and I was able to access most of the boat with just 6 pannels. 2 under the back seat, 2 under the bow, and 2 near the front seats. The last 2 are the only visable ones and they're black and match the carpet. It's still a lot of work, but I didn't have to rip out the floor, and now I can keep a close eye on things below.

Tom D.
08-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Rich,
Paint stirer, thats a great idea!
Tom