PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever made there own offshore mid??

stlcheckmate
05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever made there own offshore midsection?? I have a guy that could probably make one, just wondering what I would have to do? I already have the mid drilled..just love the look of a snout on there...

Hot Shot Merc
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Bobs machine shop makes bolt on snouts:thumbsup:

stlcheckmate
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Ya I know they make bolt on ones, but they dont look that good in my opionion..

bigboy
05-03-2009, 01:43 PM
There was somebody on s&f. He took a mold of the open exhaust of a 2.5 offshore mid and made his own exhaust snout. He glued it on his mid. I saw pics of it and it truely looked like a real offshore.

stlcheckmate
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
well what I was thinking about doin is having this guy make one out of metal, and then welding and molding it on to the midsection? How come some offshore are angled down and some are cut like straight open?

Hot Shot Merc
05-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Peoplem cut them because they like the extra noise:eek:

stvhelm
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
http://madefi.com/midsec.htm

Dave Strong
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Get ahold of John Tiger, did one a few years ago for a Hot Boat mag article. If you can't get ahold of him let me know I have 10yrs of Hot Boat and can dig up the articles for you.
Dave.

rock
05-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I have welded several exhaust snouts on mids and they look and sound fine. I have cut off mounting tabs on the Bob's unit then welded and have fabbed from scratch. Fairly easy to do. Keep in mind in no way does that make your mid an offshore. Wouldn't want to see you try to sell it as such and get accused of trying to rip someone off. There are many differences tween an offshore and a bass mid. See ya in June.
Rock

stlcheckmate
05-05-2009, 07:43 AM
No I wouldn't try to sell it as an offshore unit. I'm just tryin to get the look of an offshore I love the look of them! I think the sound is awsome too! I have my mid drilled now with no can in there and it sounds awsome I just wanna have the snout on there.

oldmercman
05-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I made this off Shore Mid 3 years ago. I dry stacked it and ran water jackets on the outside to keep the thin housing cool. The proformance gain I had was that the boat planned off easier and sounds good. Send me a PM if you want more details

See attachments

Jacob
05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Where did you tap in for the water?

I made this off Shore Mid 3 years ago. I dry stacked it and ran water jackets on the outside to keep the thin housing cool. The proformance gain I had was that the boat planned off easier and sounds good. Send me a PM if you want more details

See attachments

oldmercman
05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Under the powerhead on the side of the adapter plate I wielded up all the exit holes romoved the exhaust bucket put a bobs tunner on it. I main thing you want to do is not weaken the housing. The next thing I want to do is make a 15 in. mid section, if I get time next winter.Thanks for your interest,
Roger

Fish
05-06-2009, 02:29 AM
just a thought: the standard mids are not as thick as the casting on the offshore. Cutting in the front can weaken the mid, which is already not as strong as the offshore's. if you want more sound and some additional relief, why not drill 5x 1/2 inch holes on each side under the bottom of ther leg or do "skips mod"? ther are a lot of threads on this topic.

just something to think about.

YELLOWSS
05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
i thought about having a guy make a mold from a o/s can, and make some mods to it have them produced, but not worth the money for the little return. just look for a o/s can if your clamp is great. you will be happier. marty powell does good work cutting one down, but he dont like doing fishin mids, to thin.

dorton
05-25-2009, 07:29 PM
There was somebody on s&f. He took a mold of the open exhaust of a 2.5 offshore mid and made his own exhaust snout. He glued it on his mid. I saw pics of it and it truely looked like a real offshore.

I remember seeing this a while back. If I am not mistaken he made it out of fiberglass, and offered to make some more. Maybe someone esle remembers who made the post.

bigboy
05-31-2009, 05:07 AM
I remember seeing this a while back. If I am not mistaken he made it out of fiberglass, and offered to make some more. Maybe someone esle remembers who made the post.

I think it was alaskastreamin. I contacted him before but he lost the mould.
It looked real good...