PDA

View Full Version : New paint on 2.5

davidmercury
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm looking to have my 2.5's midsection/transom clamp brackets painted. It's a 98 and was used in salt so there is corrosion and peeling paint at the powerhead base just above the steering wing plates.
I want it to look like new and last that way. I'm told that it is very difficult to get paint to adhere to the metal surfaces on an outboard. What kind of surface prep and what paint works best to match up to original factory Merc paint job.
Any suggestions?
has anybody been there done that?

bigboy
05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Search and you'll find:thumbsup:

Carter Powell
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
This is gonna be simple for you! Anywhere the paint is good just leave it and don't remove it. If you have to remove it then bead blast it if you can or just scrape and sand it down to bear metal as best as possible. On aluminum you want to use green oxide primer to seal the aluminum from the air. On the steel the green will work but red oxide is good also. Once you are thru with any light sanding that needs to be done here is the secrect.

Use DuPont Black Imron! I have shot dozens of motors thru the years with Imron and you WILL NOT FIND BETTER PAINT OR STRONGER! I sometimes sound a bit arrogant on this but sometimes old guys with the correct knowledge can save you a lot of grief! The Imron will never let you down!

Best wishes, Carter Powell

Burke Kilgour
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I'd say glass bead the aluminum, then use alumiprep 33, then alodine 1201.
Prime with a good 2 part epoxy, then the Imron. I personally use Alumigrip, but Imron and Alumigrip are about the same as far as durability.
The whole process ain't cheap, but it works very well.
:thumbsup:

davidmercury
05-13-2009, 11:53 PM
big thanks!

k-man
05-14-2009, 12:53 AM
dont be sniffn that stuff - exellent paint but very very bad if inhaled :eek: - or the green oxide primer either