PDA

View Full Version : bad day at bad rock...and setup questions

alleycat
08-16-2002, 11:02 PM
hi gang

well, here is the first post from the new guy. first, the story...took my 12'3" sanger tunnel out with a new 40hp outboard nissan with a 12" setback mount (hey, don't laugh, the first boat was a 10' fireline tunnel with a 30hp evinrude, so i'm working up!) on its maiden voyage. no tilt/trim or jackplate.

i have spent considerable time and expense to get this boat ready...nobody has touched it except me (maybe thats the problem). put in cables, steering, tank, motor, chromed the mounts, put in plates outside and inside to strengthen the transom, etc.

ok, i'm by myself when i launch. run back to the boat after parking the car, get in boat, push away from the dock. engine won't start. after about 10 minutes of so of turning motor over, still won't start. everything is hooked up ok, i'm an idiot but not stupid. gas ejected from motor during cranking and cranking now surrounding the boat. i'm hot, pissed off and thirsty. smoke a cigarette to calm myself. throw butt over side (not normally do this, but i'm beyond caring). water catches on fire. looks like a scene out of "pt 109". paddle away. throw myself over the side in an attempt to drown myself. can't do it. clench rope in teeth and swim to shore. feet get stuch in mud and cannot get them out. finally remove feet, leaving zorries behind in 6 inches of muck. remove motor cover. remove a forgotton sock from air intake which i had placed there during the winter to keep the mice from getting in. engine still won't start, problably because hopelessly flooded or 1/2" of fuel sitting on top of pistons. finally starts. get on plane. prop starts skipping out of water, with the rpms raising and lowering as prop goes in and out of surface. take boat out of water. almost get car/boat jacked by slovenly types in a dirty pukey fishing boat.

obviously, the engine is set too high. i believe that the boat was originally set up for a longshaft and the nissan is a shortshaft, so its not really a big mystery. ok. well, although i want a tilt/trim unit (been thinking about that cmc pt-130 or pt-35), i don't see how this will lower the motor...will just adjust trim in and out. ok, so i need a jackplate, or transom jack or whatever its called. well, what do i do if i want both? i need to lower the motor but i also want to be able to trim in and out. do i need to get a tilt/trim unit, then slap on a jackplate? seems like a lot of stuff to be adding back there, not to mention the weight.

is there a combination tilt/trim/jackplate out there? or am i thinking or going around it the wrong way? any thoughts or recommendations from the more experienced members out there will be greatly appreciated.

Rickracer
08-17-2002, 07:41 AM
If so, your best bet might be to round up all of the pieces to add factory trim to it, and then go with a Bob's Machine MJ-5 jackplate. This plate is very versatile, it will go 2.5" setback, or 5.5" setback, and will allow 6* negative wedge at 2.5 setback, 2.5 setback , no wedge, 5.5" setback, no wedge, or 5.5" setback, 6* positive wedge.

alleycat
08-17-2002, 09:11 PM
nope, no factory tilt/trim, from what i understand they were not available for this motor 40C, however, they were available for the 50hp-up. thanks for the reply tho. i have seen the MJ-5 before and now that you mention it, this is most likely the jackplate i get, plus i will pick up one of the cmc tilt/trim units unless somebody here stops me.

again, thanks for the reply.

Rickracer
08-17-2002, 09:46 PM
Stranger things have been done. I don't know if you'd want to add the CMC t&t unit and pump to such a small boat. I can get you either of them (jackplate or T&T) if you want to save a buck or three.

alleycat
08-18-2002, 12:27 PM
alrighty then. here is the deal as far as the existing mounting brackets and bolts (see pictures). the bracket is 14" across, with the mounting bolts of the mount being 12.7" across, center to center, and 5.5" from top bolt to bottom bolt, center to center.

if you think that the mj-5 will work with this set-up, i'll order it from you monday am. if you think the cmc pt-35 tilt/trim will work in combination with the mj-5, i'll get that as well.

i want to thank you very much for your replies and help. i have been having a hard time getting solid advice from other sources until you replied.

i have heard that a 4-blade prop really cuts down on the surface skipping. true? the prop thats on the motor now is the standard one, its stamped "11" and "J". according to the manual, its size is 10.6 by 11.3. it looks like there is about 3/4" clearance between the outer tips of the blades and the bottom of the plate. do you have a "hot" prop available?

what i am after overall is top speed...anything else you can recommend i'll problably get and you can toss it in the order. answer here or email me or i'll call you in the am.

again, thanks

alleycat
08-18-2002, 12:30 PM
forgot to attach pics...

alleycat
08-18-2002, 12:35 PM
and this one...(man, i love these digital cameras!)

alleycat
08-18-2002, 12:39 PM
just so you don't think i overlooked it and have the mounting block upside down, i already tried it the other way...altho it gives me about 3 more inches downward travel, the steering arm interferes with the block mounting bolts...