PDA

View Full Version : baker x-18 set up

T-Dog
06-20-2001, 06:08 AM
does any one out there have experience with these boats? it's an 88 baker mod-vp tunnel, running 18in. of set back w/ a stock 200 merc(89 carb). i have 2 props an 18(round ear) pulls 6600 rpm about 56 mph and a 24 merc chopper with some heavy cupping on the tips. i would like to get a good ski prop( high 5 ) and a top end prop. question? what pitch 5 would be good and do i really need a chopper for bow lift with that hull and all that set back. would a lower rake 26 or 27 et or yamaha drag get some more rpm and top end out of this boat? it's a 1.87 gearcase wiyh a bobs cone, the prop is dead even with the pad. it runs very loose at 65 with the 24 chopper(5700 rpm), boat runs best 0 trim any less it starts to porpoise any more it starts to walk on the prop slightly. any help would be appreciated. thanks, terrence

DSwartz
07-05-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by T-Dog
does any one out there have experience with these boats? it's an 88 baker mod-vp tunnel, running 18in. of set back w/ a stock 200 merc(89 carb). i have 2 props an 18(round ear) pulls 6600 rpm about 56 mph and a 24 merc chopper with some heavy cupping on the tips. i would like to get a good ski prop( high 5 ) and a top end prop. question? what pitch 5 would be good and do i really need a chopper for bow lift with that hull and all that set back. would a lower rake 26 or 27 et or yamaha drag get some more rpm and top end out of this boat? it's a 1.87 gearcase wiyh a bobs cone, the prop is dead even with the pad. it runs very loose at 65 with the 24 chopper(5700 rpm), boat runs best 0 trim any less it starts to porpoise any more it starts to walk on the prop slightly. any help would be appreciated. thanks, terrence

I have a 1982 20' Baker RST with a 2000 Johnson 225 High Output. It has a Bob's 6" setback jackplate, Bob's nosecone and hydraulic steering. After testing many props, the best for me is the 26' Mazco HP4. It turns 6200 rpm with a GPS speed of 78. The prop has lots of bow lift.

racer
07-07-2001, 12:26 AM
remember Baker had Three different pointed nose and one pickle MODVP bottom boats and the set up is different for each If you have 18 inches of set back on the 18 footer that is way to much.

T-Dog
07-07-2001, 04:09 AM
i've been told it's an x-18, the model year is 1988. i bought the boat as a 19 foot, but measures 19.5 almost. where the 18 comes in i can't say. it has set back built into the hull. appx. 8 inches. i will loose prop shaft ht. about 2 inches if the static plate is removed. the boat doesn't have any real bad handling characteristics other than a dead if you will hole shot. it is very responsive to trim input. i just hate to start with no base set up info. any help would be appreciated. thanks