PDA

View Full Version : seperate top from bottom 83 Vector

fbokodi
08-09-2002, 10:26 AM
I am wondering how to separate the halfs. Looks like the pop rivets are geled over? Are the half glued?

vector mike
08-09-2002, 10:33 AM
It's funny you posted this because I have a 82 Vector in my garage right now that has been seperated. You have to grind off the rivots and remove them, then run a saw blade in between the two haves all the way around. If you still have the original flotation in it you will cut into that if you stick the blade in too far but it won't hurt anything.(the floatation is near the back on both sides) Good luck and have fun.

vector mike
08-09-2002, 11:27 AM
I just read this post again and realized that you thought that the rivots were geled over. They are mounted to the bottom half of the boat. That's how the rub rail is held on.

fbokodi
08-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Hello , When I put the halfs back together do I glue them and that is it?? What kind of glue??
Thanks for your replies.

Rickracer
08-09-2002, 08:28 PM
...says not to separate the top and bottom on Vectors/Vkings. The rubrail is riveted to the bottom half, and then crimped to the top half. There is no way to re-install it if you remove it. If you manage to do it sucessfuly, let us know how. :cool:

vector mike
08-10-2002, 07:45 AM
You can't reuse the stock rub rails. Like Rick said, they are crimped over the top. You have to go with an aftermarket type rub rail. I've talked to HYDROSTREAM and they told me that they are in the process of getting new material for the rub rails for the guys in the field. They said it was too hard for guys like us to try and put the factory ones on. I just sent them an e-mail Friday to see if they had any new ones available yet. As soon as I hear from them I'll let you know.

B.Mac
08-16-2002, 05:14 AM
Grind the underside/inside edge of the top & bottom down to fresh glass about 6" wide. Make sure the hull is held firm in a trailer bunk or something so it doesn't twist. Lay the deck on top and use about 50 rubbertipped 4" clamps from Homie Depot (@1.00 each).
Lay up some biaxel cloth strips about 3' long by 10" wide into the inside joint starting at the center of the joint with a 6" taping knife then roll the air out of the rest. Make sure ya got a good ventilation fan:eek: when ya crawl up in the bow and ya might wanna have a buddy there wnen ya do the tip of the bow to drag you out by the feet if needed. I came outta mine a couple a times and thought I bought the farm:eek: I was crosseyed whew!!!! Oh ........and the fresh resin leaves really cool burns on 'yer butt cheeks & armpits. DO NOT ....I REPEAT DO NOT .....CLEAN THE RESIN OFF YOUR BUTT WITH ACETONE.......
LET IT HARDEN THERE AND BREAK THE MOLD OFF A WEEK LATER.
I PROMISE YOU DONT WANNA PUT ACETONE ON 'YER BUTT CHEEKS LIKE WE DO OUR HANDS:eek: :eek: :eek: I WAS DRAGGIN' MY BUTT AROUND THE YARD LIKE A DOG W/ BUTTWORMS!! WATER MAKES IT HURT WORSE!!!!
I used some exposed rivets around the nose but that was for insurance 'cause I was runnin' hard in very rough water.
I never bothered with a rubrail.........
B.MAC:D

vector mike
08-16-2002, 05:20 AM
I found the guy to talk to if you want to get a rub rail:

John Spaeth @ 705-484-0407.

He is at Hydrostream in Canada.:)

Michael Martin
08-16-2002, 06:37 AM
B.Mac - ya got me rolling this morning.LOL Thanks

vector mike
08-16-2002, 06:45 AM
Hey B.Mac,

What were you doing to get resin on your butt? Were you glassing the boat while naked?:D

175checkmate
08-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Now thats funny.
Butt I have had a simular problem, just one of life's little lessons.