PDA

View Full Version : Canon 50D vs Nikon D90

jmc
02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Im on the fence here between the two. I like certain things about each. Any of you guru's want to show me the light?:)

mikes280
02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
i just got my d 90 and so far i like it

Sharkey-Images
02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Im on the fence here between the two. I like certain things about each. Any of you guru's want to show me the light?:)
I wish I would have just stuck with my 1st instinct and that was to buy whatever Greg was using...

My Canon 1D Mk III is going back for a second time for its Al SERVO Focus recall problem. :(

See what Greg is shooting with these days...

Regardless, I think he could nail a great shot with just about anything....:thumbsup:

Scream And Fly
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Both Canon and Nikon systems are fantastic. This is a Ford vs. Chevy thing - it really goes according to preference. Anybody that tells you that you'll get better results from either system is just giving bad advice. Of course, there are pros and cons to each, but again, this is according to what YOU consider a vice or a virtue.

The biggest mistake people make with buying photography gear is that they buy what they think they should need, rather than what they actually need. Today's 50D or D90 can produce the highest quality professional results in the hands of an accomplished photographer. No question, they are both great cameras.

With that out of the way, I prefer the Nikon system - I've been shooting with Nikon gear for many years and I've always been pleased. The real issue here is the lenses, not the camera bodies. Your lenses are what matters most, as they are not only the eyes of your camera, they are a lifetime investment. I would much rather shoot with a D40 and pro lenses than shoot with a D3 and consumer-grade lenses. If you're serious about photography, choose your lenses carefully and get the best you can afford.

50D vs. D90: I'll be as blunt as I can here, both bodies are fantastic. The D90's autofocus system (borrowed from the D200) is superior for sports. The D90 also uses a modified version of the D300's sensor, and that means it will produce greater dynamic range than the 50D as well. The differences are not dramatic, but they do exist.

I suggest you use both cameras and research the lenses for both systems. Also, understanding what the intended use and your budget is will play key roles in your decision. Remember, any of today's SLR bodies can accomplish anything.I would go into any professional, high-pressure shoot with a D90 any day of the week. I typically achieve a 99.9% keeper-rate (focus, exposure, and composition) on my photos and I could do that with a D40, or with a D3. My point is, practice makes perfect for any system :)

What do I recommend? Being a Nikon shooter, naturally my preference is for the D90. I was thinking of buying a D90 myself to replace my D50 for everyday "around the house" use.

I wish I would have just stuck with my 1st instinct and that was to buy whatever Greg was using...

My Canon 1D Mk III is going back for a second time for its Al SERVO Focus recall problem. :(

See what Greg is shooting with these days...

Regardless, I think he could nail a great shot with just about anything....:thumbsup:

Hey Tim, it's great to see you posting here! I appreciate the compliments too :)

I didn't know you bought a 1D, that sucks about the focus issue. I was under the impression that Canon had this ironed out already. I think that's a fantastic camera, and I hope Canon gets this issue resolved for you. Shaun has a lot of experience with Canons and this model in particular, maybe he'll be able to help...

Right now, my favorite body is my D300. I like it even more than my D3, believe it or not. The D3 is just a bit too large for me on all-day shoots, and a full frame sensor is something that doesn't really help me for sports shooting. The D300 is such a sweetheart of a camera body and its performance is incredible, both in the field and the images it returns. I love it.

What do I use? In the field, my two main lenses are my Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 and my Nikon 200-400VR F4. My favorite wide angle lens is the 17-55 F2.8. I use two bodies on most shoots - Nikon D3 and D300, though the D300 does the bulk of my work. I also keep a D200 in my case as a lightweight backup body. I also have a Nikon D50 I keep in a small bag as a "compact" SLR package I could take anywhere. Finally, I love my little Canon Powershot SD1000 - that stays in my laptop bag or in my pocket. :D

My cameras are always set to "Manual" mode, so I can't really share any particular settings, since they all change at every shoot. All in-camera color settings are set to flat, and I shoot RAW and process with Photoshop CS3. I think that's about everything. If you need to know anything in particular, just let me know!

Greg

jmc
02-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your informative input Greg. The real problem is I have a friend and church member that sells Canon, but a few of my other "running" buddies use Nikon. I would probably already own a Canon 40D, but that new hi res screen on the 50D and the Nikons really spoils you once you get to use it. I would love a D300, but its a tad more than I need...and should spend, plus I dont know how well it would be as an auto shooter where I could hand it to my wife and say have fun. I hate to do an "all in one" lens from the start, but since funds are tight Im probably going to go with a 18 - 200 for either brand that I go with to get started. I have found an online outfit that offers the D90 with the 18-105VR plus the 70 -300 VR for $1700.00 or with the 18 -200 single for $1650.00. My friend the Canon seller has offered me the 50D case display that comes with the 18 - 200 IS for $1500. Im still kind of unsure on the 18 - 200 lenses, but I figured it would be a good starting point since I cant go nuts on good glass from the get go. I dont do a lot of high speed stuff, mostly landscape, critters, family and dogs 80% of the time. The other 20% is night shooting. I recently picked up a Meade ETX 90 that I want to use for Lunar shots. Thanks for your insight and experience in this matter Greg. Jay

Sharkey-Images
02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Tim, it's great to see you posting here! I appreciate the compliments too :)

I didn't know you bought a 1D, that sucks about the focus issue. I was under the impression that Canon had this ironed out already. I think that's a fantastic camera, and I hope Canon gets this issue resolved for you. Shaun has a lot of experience with Canons and this model in particular, maybe he'll be able to help...

GregYeah, I picked a 1D Mk III. They contacted me several times about the recall on the Al Servo issue. I finally sent it in last March. I could not be without the camera during the season so I finally have time now to send it back again... :(

I spoke with Shaun. He himself had 10 months of back & forth until after the 5th time he just packed up all of his Canon stuff and sold it! Needless to say, he is now all Nikon.

I have been reading all these great reviews on the 1D that I have and and a few here and there that have the same trouble I am having. I hope it can be fixed or at the very least get me a new one outside of the recall serial numbers.

Here are just a few examples of what I come out with:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p1060568575

:(

The interesting thing is when I shot some verticles of the dogs. The "in focus" area changes from where it locks in mostly when horizontal...

Verticle is level across the middle.

Horizontal is on the lower 1/3 rd of the image "forefront".

pyro
02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
The 18-200 is definetely a consumer-grade lens, but still better than anything built-in any point-and-shoot camera if you want a jack-of-all-trades walk-around lens. Greg isn't a big fan of that piece.

Stay away from the unknown Ebay dealers. Stick with www.bhphotovideo.com www.adorama.com or www.ritzcamera.com

Ritz sold me a piece of crap camera bag that fell apart, and they didn't even want to hear about it. :( I'm all done with them.

Nikons rule. :thumbsup:

Scream And Fly
02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
The 18-200 is definetely a consumer-grade lens, but still better than anything built-in any point-and-shoot camera if you want a jack-of-all-trades walk-around lens. Greg isn't a big fan of that piece.

Stay away from the unknown Ebay dealers. Stick with www.bhphotovideo.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) www.adorama.com (http://www.adorama.com) or www.ritzcamera.com (http://www.ritzcamera.com)

Ritz sold me a piece of crap camera bag that fell apart, and they didn't even want to hear about it. :( I'm all done with them.

Nikons rule. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't like the 18-200 at all - or any other "superzoom" for that matter. I guess it's a good all-purpose lens, but I would much rather have the 16-85 for general use - and I own one and I think it's fantastic. The 18-200's optical distortions are just too wicked for my liking and its generally-soft image quality doesn't impress me either, but it does well if you really need its range. Also, the 18-135 is one of the best deals out there, though that's a very "plasticky" lens. Still, for general use, any of those three will work alright, especially if you want a lightweight lens. What really matters though is the needs of the user.:)

Yeah, I picked a 1D Mk III. They contacted me several times about the recall on the Al Servo issue. I finally sent it in last March. I could not be without the camera during the season so I finally have time now to send it back again... :(

I spoke with Shaun. He himself had 10 months of back & forth until after the 5th time he just packed up all of his Canon stuff and sold it! Needless to say, he is now all Nikon.

I have been reading all these great reviews on the 1D that I have and and a few here and there that have the same trouble I am having. I hope it can be fixed or at the very least get me a new one outside of the recall serial numbers.

Here are just a few examples of what I come out with:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p1060568575

:(

The interesting thing is when I shot some verticles of the dogs. The "in focus" area changes from where it locks in mostly when horizontal...

Verticle is level across the middle.

Horizontal is on the lower 1/3 rd of the image "forefront".

Tim, I was looking at the images in your link and I'm wondering if you're locking the focus points. It appears as if the camera focused on the water, instead of the boats. If I'm reading your camera display correctly, it appears as if you're leaving the central AF points active as a group?

When it comes to AF, everyone is different. Myself, I lock my AF points since I do not need the camera choosing them for me. Most often I'll have the center AF point locked and depending on how I'm composing the image, I may move my AF points to other parts of the frame. When I shoot an image, I'm watching my AF points the most and targeting them very precisely - unless I'm manually focusing, in which case I'll just focus on one part of the image and follow it while nudging the focus ring on the lens with my pinky.

I will say though, that I remember several years ago when shooting with Nikon gear was "uncool" - I'm Nikon-loyal mainly for their lenses, but I've always prefered their bodies as well, mainly because of the control layout and feel. I would like to try the 1D one of these days to compare it to my D3/D300 AF. Would make for an interesting "field test" article.

Greg

pyro
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
When it comes to AF, everyone is different. Myself, I lock my AF points since I do not need the camera choosing them for me. Most often I'll have the center AF point locked and depending on how I'm composing the image, I may move my AF points to other parts of the frame. When I shoot an image, I'm watching my AF points the most and targeting them very precisely...

:iagree: Very well-said. :iagree:

jmc
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses Pyro and Greg, I really appreciate it. I guess either way I cant go wrong. I will post the outcome ASAP. Thanks!

Sharkey-Images
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Greg,

The setting was not set to any particular focus point.

Looking in the view finder it was set at: (Picture this as a square box and it would have 2 dashes in between on the top & bottom --> [] AF ) "Inner 9 Points" was set in the Custom Function. My goal there was to expand out from the center just a bit to have the whole boat in focus.
For the most part I kept the subjects inside the oval of the red squares. But those pics is what I came up with. Focusing outside of the red sqaures... :(

I tried to shoot with the center foucs point selected but I started to find on the big boats that it would only get that point and then the rest of the boat's bow and stern would fall out of focus.

On the Seagulls a center focus point was used. Still out of focus.

I hope it is something as simple as a setting.

I did find that a week or so after they did my fix, another upgrade on the firmware came out. So here I shot the whole season without the update. Nice of them to send me off an email to tell about the update... :(

One other note on the boats. Bright bright day !!! Shot AE 8.0 with 2000 Shutter. With 2000 I felt I should have frozen everything....

Scream And Fly
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Greg,

The setting was not set to any particular focus point.

Looking in the view finder it was set at: (Picture this as a square box and it would have 2 dashes in between on the top & bottom --> [] AF ) "Inner 9 Points" was set in the Custom Function. My goal there was to expand out from the center just a bit to have the whole boat in focus.
For the most part I kept the subjects inside the oval of the red squares. But those pics is what I came up with. Focusing outside of the red sqaures... :(

This is precisely your problem. You can only focus using one point at a time, regardless of how many points are active. To keep the entire boat in focus, you'll have to choose your focus location and set your aperture accordingly (to be sure you have adequate depth of field). So, yes - this is why you were not able to achieve focus on the boat, since the camera automatically focused on the water instead.

My advice: Lock the center focus point and use that. If you need to compose in a certain part of the frame, locate your focus point accordingly and lock it. Also, watch your exposure - it appears a bit hot. I'm seeing some blown highlights, so be careful with that :)

I tried to shoot with the center foucs point selected but I started to find on the big boats that it would only get that point and then the rest of the boat's bow and stern would fall out of focus. Aperture is the key here. Stop down to get more depth of field, especially at longer focal lengths. All these dynamics change with every lens, at all focal lengths.

On the Seagulls a center focus point was used. Still out of focus.Practice is key here - every subject takes a unique skill. I find that boats are among the easiest subjects to shoot. Just keep at it :)

I hope it is something as simple as a setting. In this case I think it may be. Also as you know, autofocus is a tool, it won't do all the work for you. There's so much to using autofocus correctly for sports. That's a subject for another post. lol.

I did find that a week or so after they did my fix, another upgrade on the firmware came out. So here I shot the whole season without the update. Nice of them to send me off an email to tell about the update... :(I've never done one single firmware update on any of my cameras. I think the firmware updates tend to have a placebo effect sometimes - don't put much stock in them.

One other note on the boats. Bright bright day !!! Shot AE 8.0 with 2000 Shutter. With 2000 I felt I should have frozen everything....A fast shutter will not overcome everything, especially if the subject is moving toward or away from you, or there's a lot of camera shake. :)

Sharkey-Images
02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
All very good advice. Thank you.

Sending the camera out now. At least they can go through it one more time and make sure all is calibrated correctly.

He is one of the better shots same day same settings :

I darkened up the water a bit on post edit.

Let me know if this image is too big for the forum and I will change the size on it.

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p161017094-4.jpg

mikes280
02-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Sharky that pic is killer i hope i can learn to shot even close to that with my D90

Scream And Fly
02-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Tim, great pic!

Sharky that pic is killer i hope i can learn to shot even close to that with my D90

Mike, sure you can learn to shoot like that - anyone can. If you need help, all you have to do is ask :)

Greg

Sharkey-Images
02-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Tim, great pic!

Mike, sure you can learn to shoot like that - anyone can. If you need help, all you have to do is ask :)

Greg

Thanks Greg!

I'll know for sure if I need help once I get my 1D back.

If there is any question as to whether it is me or the camera, I will just have to let you have the camera for a shoot or 2 ;) .

If all your shots come out dead on, then I will believe it is me.... :)

P.S.

Even some of my shots in Program mode would not be the greatest as well. At least to my liking anyway.

I like the comments I have read on my 100 - 400 lens about images coming out soft. So that much I know was in due in part to the lens... But that photo up there is far from soft ! :) I get lucky once in awhile.....:thumbsup:

Scream And Fly
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks Greg! If all your shots come out dead on, then I will believe it is me.... :)

My keeper rate is almost always 99.9% on any camera I've used. I bet I could do the same on yours. :cheers:

I like the comments I have read on my 100 - 400 lens about images coming out soft. So that much I know was in due in part to the lens... But that photo up there is far from soft ! :) I get lucky once in awhile.....:thumbsup:

I generally do not read photography forums, but "soft" is a loose term. When an image is resized and made smaller, that won't illustrate much, but when you print 30x40" prints and larger, that's when a lens's true colors show (no pun intended). ;) The details are always in large prints - that's the real test of a good image.

Sharkey-Images
02-24-2009, 11:49 PM
The details are always in large prints - that's the real test of a good image.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff at 20 x 30 and 16 x 24.

Also using the Metallic paper. It really pops the colors with that stuff. I can't wait to see this one and I also want to see this on canvas:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p623666627-4.jpg

Shaun K
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey guys, I used to only use only center point focus and the camera used to look where it wanted in bright scenes or scenes with high contrast areas. Other words it was easily fooled even focusing manually via center point selection. Birds in flight, air shows & and such were a pleasure if nothing else was in the scenes to cause trouble. Camera used to drive me insane. They finally sent me a new body & an apology after 5 returns.. I promptly sold every thing and came back to Nikon..
<O:p
Anyways, today they announced another fix for the AF of the 1D series<O:p</O:p

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS-1D_Mark_III.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-631109

Sharkey-Images
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
My 1D will be here tomorrow.

They said they repaired AI sub mirror, the AF Assembly & Adjusted, and updated to the latest Firmware...

I sure hope this resolves it. I feel a bit better knowing it was not just me.... :thumbsup:

jmc
03-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and went with the Canon 50D. If the D90 would have been built like the D300, I would have been all over it. I really wanted the D300, but it was just too "pro or manual" for me and my wife. I know the D90 is an awesome camera, but my friend sure was thankful for buying what he sold. I hope I dont regret it.

Here is a shot I snapped through the windshield of my truck. Its a lot better than my old Sony, but I have a lot of new bells and whistles to figure out on this thing. This was with the 18-200 lens at 1600 ISO

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/JMC_711/ToadSuckSquare.jpg

Medium Jpeg. Coral shot
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/JMC_711/IMG_0360.jpg

Sharkey-Images
03-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Camera arrived back home yesterday.

Also picked up a new 17" Mac Book Pro laptop right after....

No more waiting to get back to the office to upload and work on pics ! :thumbsup:

speedyswede120
03-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey Mike,

If you want to spend some time looking at different effects and settings this is a great site. If you click down into the different headings he gives you shot settings and description on how he did the shot. HE has some pretty amazing shots. http://markjrebilas.com/blog/

Man, its been so long since I posted on here that I got reset.

mikes280
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Mike,

If you want to spend some time looking at different effects and settings this is a great site. If you click down into the different headings he gives you shot settings and description on how he did the shot. HE has some pretty amazing shots. http://markjrebilas.com/blog/

Man, its been so long since I posted on here that I got reset.small world, back in the late 80's and earlly 90's i was the starter for the United States Drag Boat association and Mark did all of our photos at the races. He was always at Augusta Ga. he would take pics all day and the next day he would be back selling them to the racers, he used to always ask me to get him out on the water where he could get the best angle and most of his work was awsome.

Sharkey-Images
03-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I got a chance to shoot a few today. I must say I see a huge difference in how this camera is performing...

Here is a shot from today with my 200mm lens fully extended.

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p228125731-5.jpg

jmc
03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
That looks good Sharkey. Which 200 lens was that shot with?

Sharkey-Images
03-13-2009, 10:41 PM
70-200 2.8 Canon Image Stabilized L-Series.

I shot a bunch of moving cars today and it seems like it is right on the money!
Feels like a completely different camera now....:thumbsup:

I sure hope this is the final fix!

jmc
03-13-2009, 11:34 PM
It looks good to me. That is one sweet lens!

The weather cleared up and I finally got a moon shot with my body on an ETX-90. Its at 1600, a little rough and out of focus, but I have a better focus cable coming. Im ready to get one of Saturn.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/JMC_711/IMG_0585.jpg

Sharkey-Images
03-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Very nice !!!:thumbsup:

Scream And Fly
03-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Cool photos! Tim, great to hear about your camera.

I went to a BMX race on Sunday and shot some photos of some of my friends on the Intense BMX team.

http://i43.tinypic.com/5yw1za.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2eapjxh.jpg

speedyswede120
03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Very nice. I'm almost wishing I had gone the Nikon route instead of Cannon.

Sharkey, Have you tried using your 100-400L with a 1.4x extender?. It almost seams like the image quality is better just cropping? I guess I will try both ways in Biloxi.

Sharkey-Images
03-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Very nice. I'm almost wishing I had gone the Nikon route instead of Cannon.

Sharkey, Have you tried using your 100-400L with a 1.4x extender?. It almost seams like the image quality is better just cropping? I guess I will try both ways in Biloxi.
No I have not.
It is my understanding you lose 1 f stop and that the AUTO FOCUS is not up to par on the far reaches. Maybe I will check into it if I get some $$$ coming in, but sitting tight right now after my most recent upgrade... ;)

mikes280
03-18-2009, 08:47 PM
ok i know you guys have a lot of glass to shoot long distance but do any of you ever shoot wide angle . I have been loooking at a tokina 12-24 wide what do you thank, i just can't see spending 1100 for the nikon

speedyswede120
03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
I was looking at the same thing today. I need to shoot some interior stuff for work and the widest I have now is 17-70. I think I can get by with it but a 12-24 would probably be nice. Atleast maybe you and Mark can share in costs. It gets expensive.

Sharkey-Images
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I use 17-40 L-Series Canon.
Never experimented with anything else....

Scream And Fly
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
ok i know you guys have a lot of glass to shoot long distance but do any of you ever shoot wide angle . I have been loooking at a tokina 12-24 wide what do you thank, i just can't see spending 1100 for the nikon

I have the 12-24 Nikkor and it's a great lens. The Tokina gets a lot of good reviews too. They are very useful for ultra-wide shots, especially when you're looking to use wide optical distortion as part of your composition. I actually used the 12-24 to cover the 2007 Miami Boat Show (http://forums.screamandfly.com/Gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3179).

Sharkey-Images
03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Greg,
Those BMX shots, is that really how they come out of your camera, or are u tweaking them a bit ? I just cannot get over the clarity ! :eek:

I shot a few things yesterday but still need more time ....

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p864401434-5.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p1071198735-3.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p243477957-3.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p259949513-5.jpg

Sharkey-Images
03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p46624528-3.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p520483651-5.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p330608721-3.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p391401426-5.jpg

Scream And Fly
03-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Greg,
Those BMX shots, is that really how they come out of your camera, or are u tweaking them a bit ? I just cannot get over the clarity ! :eek:

Hi Tim - yes, that's right out of the camera.

Greg

Sharkey-Images
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Tim - yes, that's right out of the camera.

GregDamn !!! Simply incredible !:thumbsup:

jmc
03-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Damn !!! Simply incredible !:thumbsup:

It sure is. The colors are very vivid and clean!
I like the look on the riders face on the left. Determination!

Scream And Fly
03-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Damn !!! Simply incredible !:thumbsup:

It sure is. The colors are very vivid and clean!
I like the look on the riders face on the left. Determination!

Thanks, I appreciate it. The key (as always) is to shoot in manual mode and dial in everything yourself. Also, dialing in your focus as well. These are all from the same sequence of images.

http://i40.tinypic.com/wjgsc5.jpg

jmc
03-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it. The key (as always) is to shoot in manual mode and dial in everything yourself. Also, dialing in your focus as well. These are all from the same sequence of images.

Do you have any basic rules or "thinking" you stick by when setting up your shots Greg?
Also, should you mess with the sharpness, saturation, etc in the camera or will this just
degrade the shot? Thanks!

Kartracer
03-19-2009, 05:58 AM

I recently added the Sigma 10-20 to my bag of tricks. I have been quite happy with it. Many of the reviews I have read favor that lens over the others. The distortion is very comparable to the Nikkor, and is easily managed.

Scream And Fly
03-20-2009, 04:32 AM
Do you have any basic rules or "thinking" you stick by when setting up your shots Greg?
Also, should you mess with the sharpness, saturation, etc in the camera or will this just
degrade the shot? Thanks!

That could be a very long discussion. How I set my camera depends entirely on the conditions I'm shooting at. I keep all of my in-camera settings flat, or "zeroed". The best way to a good image is getting the exposure spot on, and of course, understanding how autofocus works - that will help tremendously. When autofocus is not ideal, train yourself to manually focus. It's all practice and understanding of exposure. I did a brief article on photography here (http://www.screamandfly.com/home/features/boating_photography/1.htm), though it's just a basic introduction it should still help.

jmc
03-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Great write up Greg! Thanks for posting the link.