PDA

View Full Version : repainting cowl

JIMK
08-07-2002, 02:09 PM
i have a chrysler motor and someone before me painted it black,with a brush mind you. now should i try paint remover to clean up before painting or would a good sanding and primer be best? i didn't want to hurt the fiberglass so if a good sanding and primer will do thats what i will do. i am going back with the original white, epoxy appliance paint. i am doing the whole motor. they painted the lower unit too,but that won't be a problem.thanks. Jim King

Georgia Boy
08-07-2002, 04:53 PM
you can get paintstripper designed to work on fiberglass, strip it and sand and repaint. if it is aluminum like some of the old mercs sand it smooth and prime it then paint, aluminum is hard to get paint to stick to

JIMK
08-08-2002, 08:56 AM
thank you sir, i am going for the best finish i can so strip it is,if i ever get pics i will post before and after.thanks Jim King

ryan_L6
08-16-2002, 09:27 PM
i highly suggest not using any type of stripper on fiberglass or any other composite material. ie carbon fiber , aramid. they can break down the chemical crosslinks within the resin and over time weaken the structure. even if it is designed for use on fiberglass , not all resins are the same and can react differently. SAND IT . PRIME IT . and if it is aluminum, a good alodine treatment and zinc chromate primer will help the paint adhere.

JIMK
09-03-2002, 12:03 PM
well it is going well, used stripper for the top coat and sanded with 320 then 400. got it all cleaned up then shot it with appliance epoxy paint, 3 coats, this paint does not have any shine too it,so went back and sanded with 600 and applied frost white lacquer,then painted the black trim and did the 75 labels in red. i need to remove the black from the CHRYSLER letters to show the aluminum underneath then a couple coats of clear and she is done. hopefully i can get pics,i already have before but now i need after, then get the wife to pay the ISP bill so i can post.it looks sharp, all original. i am also painting the lower unit so it will be done compleetly in a couple of weeks.Jim King