PDA

View Full Version : What next..?

Ted Stryker
02-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I started with a 3m "rubbing compound", then to a "fine cut cleaner", then stepped down to a straight "cleaner" and then an application of wax... The boat now has a very clean finish but doesn't seem to have the glossy wet look that I was expecting... What would You have used between the "fine cut" and the "cleaner" to really get the gel slicked up... Would is be a "polish", I'm open to some suggestion... It is an Allison, so it is gel-coat without the clear coat... I have reasonable access to 3m stuff, Mother's, and MeGuires... I will not use Turtle Wax...

chynewalkr
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
paint or gelcoat?

Ted Stryker
02-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Straight Allison Gel-coat, no clearcoat..

williamsdetailing
02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
If you want to stick with 3m products, then i suggest the "finesse it" line which should bring out the best shine. I have had real good luck with the "super duty" compound followed by "finesse it II glaze". Don't use a cleaner wax, especially if you went through all those steps of prepping the surface. Cleaner waxes actually have either chemical or mechanical abrasives in it to bring out slight oxidation. The problem with them is that they don't last as long as a quality wax. Its hard to recommend products without seeing the finish in person. Also, a very important question is, Are you doing this by hand or with a rotary buffer? I use wool pads through out the whole process, but you could use a foam pad on the final 2 steps to achieve more depth in the shine. The finesse it glaze should be what you are looking for, its the last step before the wax should be applied.

Ted Stryker
02-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm using a rotary with Terry cloth pads... I also have well access to Meguire's also, is their "machine polish" comparable to the 3M product that You recommended... I have no preference either way, and am open to a Professional opinion but I only mention this so You don't feel that I'm "stuck" on 3M... I do think the gel needs 1 last step of very mild abrasion before waxing to remove those ultra fine scratches that You can only see at the a certain angle in the right lighting... Thanks for Your comments, Kevin...

williamsdetailing
02-05-2009, 10:44 PM
I have never used their "machine polish",but it seems to be very similar to the product I was talking about. I do recommend wool pads, they will give you more cutting power then the terry. They also make different color wool pads, that vary in cutting/polishing power. Foam pads will achieve the most depth and clarity, but most people won't notice the difference in the final product if you use foam or wool. Can you post a picture of your boat? If you can locate this brand (http://topoftheline.com/32ozheavcutp.html)(Link) locally, then i recommend trying it out. I really like this 357 and it polishes out like glass with a foam pad.The website says heavy cut, but this product has no mechanical abrasives in it and won't put scratches in the surface. I don't recommend the extreme cut because it doesn't work all that good, and I haven't used the smooth cut. This brand of detailing products will give you optimum results on your boats and cars.

Ted Stryker
02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I've never seen the 357 product, looks interesting... I'm gonna go to Academy Sports tomorrow to see what their 3M selection is like, maybe I'll pick up some "finesse it" stuff... If they don't have anything tasty, I'll swing by another location that carries a good line of Meguires... Last time that I was there they had the "machine polish" and the "machine glaze"... I'll tell Ya'll what comes of all this after I give it a second go-round... Thanks alot for the recommendations...

GregAdams
02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Finesse-it II Glaze is good stuff. I use it on my moulds. Not sure what type of cleaner you are talking about, but steer clear of any of the acid based gelcoat cleaners after cutting, Especially the fine cut ( glaze ). That will reduce the shine.
Good luck
Greg

Ted Stryker
02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I did in fact use the Meguire's "fine cut cleaner" after a heavy duty compounding to remove 2000 grit marks... What can I do to reverse this mistake..?

Ted Stryker
02-16-2009, 07:50 PM
UPDATE: I bought a bottle of MeGuire's " oxidation remover and " MeGuire's Flagship Wax"... The oxidation remover worked really well for getting the small scratches out, it's got a diminishing abrasion that seems to work as advertised... It even got out some 2000 grit wet sand marks I was pretty surprised at how slick it could get the gel.. The trick seemed to be buff on it till it was almost dry at a relatively slow travel speed and at what I would guess a spindle speed of about 600 rpm and I could see the gloss getting sharper and sharper pass after pass... The Flagship wax worked pretty well, although if I were to do it again I would use an even finer cut step after the Oxidation remover, then onto the Flagship wax or a pure polish, then wax... I think that would've taken My finish to about a well of result as My talent wil get... I have learned that the right product will make a tedious job easier will better results, knowledge is king and if I had more of it I wouldn't be a Peasant... I may go over the boat again next weekend, this is kind of addicting... The next sizeable job that I have, I may try the 2 aquabuff's and maybe higher quality tools and accessories... Not having these things makes Me whatever how dang shiny it may have gotten...:thumbsup: