PDA

View Full Version : Rumble III Musicians

Scream And Fly
08-06-2002, 03:16 PM
What about another musician thread here? I hope my luck is better next time...

Another Fast Company at Rumble III?

Greg

kathy
08-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Halveb, as you know I programed my brain to the cd that we were sent. We discussed this the first day I tried to practice with you guys. All of you had patience with me. You are correct karaoke is extremely different as well as singing along with the cd.

I never give up on something I have my mind and heart set on! Support is the most important thing to have and since I was my supporter on this one I lost it. We won't go there with that. I have explained that repeatedly.

I wanted to sing at the Rumble I wanted to sing so bad I could taste it the whole way there! The two times we did stop the family got out and ate and I cranked the cd and sang! It is NOT that I didn't want to do it..... I knew when everything went down the night I got there it was going to take all I had to stay focused. I tried my damndest to do so believe me. I couldn't. I was totally disappointed that I let you guys down. Then songs got switched.... BK was not there yet which was not anyones fault. Everything was just happening. On top of the fact the heat nearly killed you guys.

Point is Halveb, Skip, Damage, and Scream and Fly.......... I WANT TO DO THIS........ I WANT TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THIS..... I KNOW I CAN DO IT I AM DETERMINED TO DO IT. I NEED TO KNOW IF YOU ALL ARE WILLING TO LET ME ATTEMPT IT AGAIN!!

Halveb any of you I am opened to any suggestions you have. Teach me how so I can learn there is time. If I have to do something here or get something here to learn how to do it I will. Whatever I need to do tell me so I can work on it.

Even if it means we all get there a day earlier than we did this time to practice then fine.

I told you guys I had not done this before with a band. I was willing to give it a try and again I had focused completely on doing this with you all. You know I was excited about it the entire time. I drove my family nuts weeks building up to it. I know all of us did for that matter.

Anyway, I'm ready hit me with it.

Laker
08-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Im not sure if I can do the "Band" thing but if you throw out a list of songs to learn for the "Jam" Im in.
That was allot of fun!!!

AnthonySS
08-07-2002, 06:32 AM
WOW,

Your just beaten yourself up too much over this...I know what you are going thru...I really felt like I was the 1st to let the band down...anyway it takes some time cause I am sure everyone has forgiven you...NOW you just have to Forgive YOURSELF...Don't be so hard on yourself...You'll rock the next go round.

See if you an team up with some local musicians to get some experience. Heck even look into your local church...You'll be suprised how many get started that way or even singing some anthems at local sport gatherings. It all adds up to some good experience

Anyway count me in for the next go round. I will know my band schedule by the new year and hopefully there will be no conflict.

Anyway if there is I will be able to reschedule with enuff lead time. This year unfortunately was a last minute go with the new band!!

"ROCK HARD Ride FREE"

halveb
08-07-2002, 09:23 AM
First off I definitely want to do this again. I do need some time to think of the best way to go about it. There may not be a better way but I do want to try and see if it can be improved.

Anthony, you would have been a big help if you had been there I might have been able to try some singing (just get that guitar out of my hands). Next time we can trade off singing and playing. I'll be practicing but don't expect a great vocalist. :D

Laker, dude are you just shy or what. I promise I will try and learn to sing some Van Halen tunes if you agree to play them on guitar. I guess if it is too much work I would understand why you don't want to be part of a band.

Kathy, I'm glad you asked. I told you before this started that it would be difficult getting timing down (I know I've done it before). If you don't have access to a live band in your area you can still do it with Karoake but you have to use a twist. Don't look at the screen. There is no screen when playing live so don't use one in Karoake. Most people sing in their cars and think they can sing with a band but don't realize how much they rely on the singer to start the lyric as a cue. Keep at it and think of some songs that you would like that match your voice. I am willing to play anything (Metallica to Carly Simon) cause I think playing is fun. I also agree with Anthony, you are too hard on yourself. You tried and that is more than most people would do. It takes experience and not many people start off as Rock Stars they get that way gradually.

Greg, there is no doubt there will be another Fast Company and it will be bigger but I also want it to be better. I think everyone that played an instrument that was at the Rumble saw how much fun it was. I felt bad for Charlies nephew Joey cause he wanted to jam so bad but nobody knew the stuff he could play (probably you and he could have shred up the stage).

Skip and Rick, you guys haven't responded yet but we will need you again. It wouldn't be the same without you. Rick, I know you said you hated electronic drums but they can be fairly small and make no noise when attached to a set of headphones. :D Skip, you now own the Star Spangled Banner so you have to do it every year. The question is what will you learn next. :eek:

I have been putting jams together for quite awhile now and the key is planning and practicing. It is fun for the musicians to get together and jam aimlessly but it gets really boring for the non-musicians. What is execellent display of talent to one person is a bunch of noise to another. I think we approached it the right way this last time and were fairly well organized but as you well know a lot of stuff happened to conspire against us. I will give it some thought after I am done closing the books for the State of Wisconsin in late September and probably start a post with what my ideas are. If you want to start now jump right in with whatever ideas you have. Looking forward to next year. :D

Laker
08-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Bob... Shy?? LOL
You know better
This year just too much stuff going on (Marrage, New house, new job... getting the boat squared away) That was the first time I played for more than 2 min straight in almost a year.
Rumble 3 we are gonna ROCK the house!

Talon2.5
08-07-2002, 07:42 PM
honestly kathy i dont feel 1 year is enough for you yet, you looked like a deer in the headlights when i came and told you that the equipment was ready for vocal checks, i'm saying this in a humble voice and to be honest with you, your attitude was hard to deal with, now i'm just being humbly honest ok, i'm not trying to be mean or malicious at all here!! so dont get mad at me like you did every ten seconds at the rumble, it's stricktly constructive criticism that we ALL need to get better at what we do

i think the fast company band needs a singer who is just that, a person who is totally into singing, as a passion, not a passtime, and has experience in thier local band or something

as far as the bass guitar H2Onut from what ive seen at this past rumble at the pavillion jams, has the fingering of a bassist

damage of course is the drum man!!

halveb is the rythm guitarist he knows alot of songs!!

i have always been a guy who played his own stuff and not familiar with the guitar enough to be a good bandmate at this point, i am happy though that i pulled off the bass guitar for the band ;)

i will take the star spangled banner responsabilities at rumble 3 proudly :D if i can go that is!! ya see we have an unwritten rule in my department at work that we are not supposed to take the last week of any month off through the year, i got it off this time because i begged for the opportunity this year :eek: :( i cant promise i can even be at rumble 3

laker is a guitar man for sure and he kept quiet this time but he let the cat outa the bag at the pavillion :D

joey is a seasoned band guitarist (charlie m's nephew) i'm sure he can learn whatever music you need him too (if he's willing to go with whatever music you all decide on)

greg pushed me along and in hindsight i needed that due to never playing other peoples music, and i thank him for that

at this point in time i just dont know :(

Laker
08-07-2002, 07:54 PM
nO NO Skip!
You did one hell of a job!!! We were Rocking with you Big time at the Tiki bar!!!! Rumble 3........(Dont think about jumping ship for that one!!) we are going to set for KILL!! I have a couple of Ideas we will talk about this winter. The Idea and the reason I didnt go crazy is its all about fun! We did it ... we had Major fun thanks to you and every one in the band! Fast company will rock the rumble3!!!!!

Damage Inc
08-07-2002, 08:02 PM
I would love to play next year, but some changes definately need to be made. When I have a little more time I will put my thoughts in writing, but I will say this -

Skip - If you don't play - I don't play!!!!

kathy
08-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Halveb!

Yes Skip you're right I have never done what I did at the Rumble before. Singing with a band. Scared a bit.....I think a normal reaction....thrown off also by not having everyone there. Thank god for Bob Bush. He played some great old time rock and roll. Given time to work with you guys I could have done it. Not that it matters.

I don't understand the attitude thing. While we were there you seemed fine... I asked you and Wendy if you all wanted to go get Pizza with us the one night for dinner but after being in the heat all day you said you had to get some sleep and a shower and my kids were hungry so Wendy and I agreed I was just going to get them fed. We all spoke every day. We hung out.

When I got there and you told me about Greg's situation I vented as well as everyone else. And yes I thought the band should still do something after saying we would. I wasn't directing anything toward you in anyway.

If you felt my attitude was bad I wish you would have spoken to me at the Rumble about it. I really do. It's ashame I think Wendy and you are really nice people. WoW! I can't even begin to understand this.

I am really sorry I rubbed you wrong. I don't really know what else to say to you.

Thanks for your honesty and also thanks for the Byuboyz stickers you gave me. Scott plastered the truck with the ones Raptor gave him.

Scream And Fly
08-07-2002, 08:47 PM
I would truly like to see this happen again… I would like to be a part of it. The idea of it is great, and playing music is truly fun. This is all supposed to bring people closer together, and I think it did. I really feel terrible about my situation. I really wanted to be a part of it.
Next time around, I might be better off taking a plane, but I’ll get there somehow.
Skip, I knew you would rock… You had your heart in it, and I was so proud of you. I never doubted you for a minute. ALL of you – Bob, Damage, Kathy, Joey, Laker – and the others really did your best, and that’s what matters. It worked out, and you all made it happen. Music has been a part of me my whole life. I was looking forward to this gig more than any other music situation. Why? Because if the people, not the music. You are all great even before you picked up a music instrument.
We have a year to practice. It could be better than ever with this much preparation. Let’s make it happen. We can organize now, and make it happen. Skip, get the hat ready…

Greg

Talon2.5
08-07-2002, 10:26 PM
beleive me when i tell ya!!!..........that was one of the GREATEST vacations ive ever taken in my life!! and when i reflect on how i feel about what we accomplished and the friends i made i get tears well up in my eyes!! :( and i'm not sure i understand why it is, but you ALL touched me in a way no one ever has!!

i thank you all who have posted on this thread so far for giving me such great memories that my words will never be able to put out the true feeling, and i tell ya what......not much in my life other than wendy has ever done that to me!!

i think you all missed the part about my job........i cant take the last week of any month off...........and that appars to be the schedualing of the rumble to get around all the other event scheduals..........we will have to see where it falls!!

thank you all that participated in ANY way with the music this past week it was the time of my life meeting so many people from this board, i really dont know how to put how i feel in words but you all are responsable for my thrill of a life time rumble jam both pavillion and stage :D ALL of you!!

your friend!! skip

Talon2.5
08-08-2002, 09:03 AM
man i'm still tired from all that fun!! :D :eek: and its thursday!! cant wait for this weekend to collapse :D when i got back i went right back to working day and night!! not much rest yet!!

but i got some good news yesterday.........the publisher may change my hours to more hours during the day and less at night so it will be a little more like a normal job :rolleyes:

guess i'll have to wait and see :D

Talon2.5
08-08-2002, 04:15 PM
well it looks like a little honesty killed this thread :eek:

When I have a little more time I will put my thoughts in writing,

i am definately wanting to hear your thoughts on what you think damage :cool:

Damage Inc
08-08-2002, 04:27 PM
It looks like they are trying to teach me a lesson around here!! My first day back was a 13 hour day and it looks like today will be more of the same! :rolleyes:

Moral of the story - take vacation and pay the price! :(

If I don't have to work this weekend, I will get it done, I promise.

Talon2.5
08-08-2002, 04:30 PM
ok man!!

yep know what ya mean, i got back and fire one and hire another, seems they dont show up while your gone!!

i got the pics all sorted and will mail them off tommorrow, then give ya a ring :D

halveb
08-08-2002, 10:06 PM
I am also waiting for any comments from anyone who has ideas. Fire away when you get time Damage Inc. Skip any thoughts and a better process, way to practice, number of people, etc?

Talon2.5
08-09-2002, 05:01 AM
well i stopped at a local music shop and looked at a few bass guitars and amps, need to go to mars and sam ash and compare prices so i have one for situations like the rumble where it was needed for me to have one

i think i will buy a mic and a stand for micing the amps, and a new guitar processor is in order

halveb had alot of that stuff covered with his equipment but if we are gonna do this on a regular rumble basis, each one of us needs to be covered on our equipment i think, the reason i say this is i went to my lower unit mechanics house to jam a bit with him and saw what he had set-up in his house and realised after the rumble i need more equipment if i intend to do anything with this, and that equipment will help at the rumble 3 jam

i mentioned to my boss that this may be on the last week every year and that wasnt good for our schedualing at the end of the month but i'm not really willing to give up that easy, and we both know it's gonna happen with him sometimes to where he has a "big event" at the end of the month to attend so who knows on that situation

one thing thats hard to plan for as we found out is people being able to make it due to job scheduals, mishaps, health, so we need to solidify a solid base of people, multiple musicians to attend and switch out?

when you go to the local bars write down what songs the live bands play at these gigs to help with a song base and see whats popular on that level whether we like them or not we may have to play them due to popularity, georgia satellites is a definate crowd pleaser!!

i think more diversity is in order and i have noticed i better pay more attention to lead guitar than i did in the past, i was always thinking lead was out of my realm but hell thats what the star spangled banner was (more or less) a lead runoff? anyway thats a few thoughts i had, nothing major but i'm thinking about it

keyboards would have helped too to fill in some also

if we learn songs from a CD maybe we should listen to a live version of the song if it's available so we get used to hearing them that way?

Talon2.5
08-09-2002, 05:07 AM
greg and anthony,

whats your thoughts on practice from your experience and exposure to playing live?

AnthonySS
08-09-2002, 08:07 AM
SKIP…Thanks for asking….

I practice by listening and a technique I call “Internalizing” songs. I find the more I listen to something…it eventually imbeds it self in my head or hopefully my heart. Then I literally sit down with my guitar, unplugged and start learning parts of songs…not necessarily the whole song. Then I turn the music off and try playing it “Stand alone”. By the way I never practice with the guitar plugged, cause I find and can get distracted by effects and it can take away from my learning the song effectively.

If you can play the whole damn song unplugged then your in for a treat once you start adding some, overdrive, flange, compression etc. Also playing unplugged does not aggravate others you may live with (Fortunately my wife never complains) and its less work to set up then when you pull out all your gadgets.

I also need focus. Like if the rumble is a week away…I will only listen to Rumble Music and nothing else. I know you guys did a lot of that.

I play my guitar every nite, usually after the kids go to sleep and even if I am not learning something new I just no over and over technique. I am still not that good at technique and finger position for that lead stuff…but I keep trying.

Playing with the Band…

try to find guys to play with that are the same guys for the most part. I am very fortunate that I have a GREAT RYYTHM Section that I play with 99.9% of the time. Me on Rhythm Guit, My bro Steve on Bass, and my other Bro Rick on the KIT. We have played with each other solid for 3 yrs now and we know were each one is going with a song. We also work on being very tight and these guys like myself will play any style of music cause we just love playing. That’s key…you just got to love playing and have a heart for music.

I rather play with someone that has a lot of heart for music over talent. Cause often the guy that knows he is good will make all the others feel pretty small, pretty quick and often that guy will not even try to teach others from the gift he has….that sucks. THANKFULLY Greg has the gift and patience to share his talent with us, Bob had the gift to share all his stuff and talent too…and others just answered the call when needed…..so I think the foundation is set for a really great Rumble band

Also in order to get along with a band, you have to implement every ones creative ideas at some point or other. Otherwise your fellow players will feel squashed and loose confidence if they are always being told …”That Doesn’t sound good”. If you really think it sounds bad then work with the individual to refine the piece…don’t eliminate it all together. Get along and having an open forum to share and implement ideas is key.

When I first started playing I only played Hard Rock…but I’ll tell you really cut yourself short if you don’t try playing various music (ok I am not talking Brittany or Ricky here…) and different keys. Like try playing songs in the Key of F and soloing in “F”… I had to learn cause I was playing with a keyboard-est and at church you have to use singer friendly keys like “F”…Most people can sing in “F”.

Also when playing with a band…don’t try to draw too much attention to yourself…by playing to loud or soloing through the whole song. Sure there are times for lead breaks and solos etc…but focus on being part of the whole sound of the band and not somebody that is looking to be discovered.

Often the art of “Active Listening” needs to take place. This means your generally need to turn your volume a little lower so You can hear all elements of the song and not just yourself. Also key when you don’t have a good monitor mix. This way you will be on top of when the lead break is coming or even when the song is going to or how it is going to end. A good tight ending makes the difference with most bands. Starting songs are key too and often it is best, when in doubt for one person to start the song and other come in as the groove is set. Nothing worse then a “Train Wreck” starts to a song!!!

Playing Live…this is where it all comes together. Being Christian and all, this is were I rely on the power of the “Holy Spirit” (not beer in this case, used to do that) to engulf me!!! Otherwise I can be overcome in anxiety, stress etc or worrying about my parts. I think Kathy can ID with that!!!

Anyway, most of the time when I am on stage, I close my eyes and the only audience I have is GOD. I literally don’t see anyone out there other then a black abyss. I am very fortunate that the gig I do is in front of 700-1000 people on a weekly basis (our church is quite large, with full sound and lighting crew) and it does build a lot of confidence but again I am relying on God’s strength and not mine. Cause half the time after I play, I have no memory of how I played that riff or where it came from…that’s cool cause I know it was God and not me and that the way I have to play now.

I get a laugh at our gigs sometime…cause some of the congregation will come up to me and say funny things like…”man you really rock”, or “you reminded me of Page” or this past week it was Joe Walsh….I say I have no idea where that came from or cannot be held responsible for how I act on stage…It is just spirit driven…cause I am really not trying to draw attention to myself. But there is nothing like a good time of worship thru music at church cause God built it in us to Worship something. Hopefully we choose Him first to worship and He will bless us in all those other desires of our heart, like fast boats and fast company.

I would like to suggest that us Rumble players try to get together for weekend, somewhere central over the winter so we can play together and start a rehearsal as a real band…What do you guys think. Say in January or Feb!!! I think we should add keys too!!!

ROCK on Skip…I hope this helped some. Just to let you in on a secret…I was praying for you guys even tho I could not there….glad it worked out! Hoping we will get a chance to rock someday soon!!

halveb
08-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Skip,

Practicing to a CD is fine for people playing an instrument. The important thing is to get the structure of the song down:

Chorus G D C
Verse Em D C

Then it is just a matter of how many times each of those plays. Of course, there may be some additional things like bridges, etc but usually if you know the verse and chorus you can do fine.

The tricky part is for vocalists since they usually don't think in those terms and often don't play an instrument. How to keep time and come in when your supposed to. The problem with practicing to a CD in that case is they use the CD as a crutch and don't really become familiar with the structure of the song. In either case it doesn't matter unless both those singing and those playing have the same structure in mind (when they don't....well you've seen that happen :D).

If your looking for a mic and bass and amp and stuff like that keep your eye on the paper for used equipment. You should be able to pick up a decent bass for $200 and shure SM57s are the mic of choice for micing instruments. Shure SM57s go for about $95 new and used you should be able to find for $65 or so.

I would like to find some way to share our playing over the net. It isn't far flung that everyone could play their part and we mix it down so that each person has a CD with their part missing. Sort of like Karoake for musicians. I'm just thinking out loud.:)

kathy
08-09-2002, 02:07 PM
You put into words what I couldn't! Thank you.:) Just to let you know I am okay. Wasn't at for a few days but I am.

Have a great day!

Talon2.5
08-09-2002, 02:32 PM
well now we are on a roll!! i like the response from both anthony and HB (halveb) (thats my nickname for him HB ;) )

anthony i tried my best to focus on staying in time with damage and also tried to keep an open mind on what HB had to say and i guess it worked this time even though we got hit many times over blindsided by things that should have kept us off that stage that night

i feel a tight kinship with damage and HB since we went through all that and HB is a very structured musician so that helped immensly, he's a sharp guy and gifted with the 6 string, damage in my opinion is gifted and has the talent to kick it on the drums, the thing that kills me is we live so far apart :(

my time through the week is limited between shifts which makes it worse, i hang out on scream and fly in between shifts, and a few hours from now i'll be out all night working, ive actually gotten so tired lately i dont care about boating due to this schedaul i'm on, but it does give me an hour here and there to practice guitar :D (my first "hobby" actually before the boat came along)

greg called quite often with pointers but as i told him, for me it's easier to do face to face for me than to try to do it over the phone

i'm inquireing to all this because "if" i am to be in fast company again i dont want to disappoint anyone and need input, i cant do it alone!! i am willing to play rythm or bass as we need it as a group, i loved playing as a group this time around WE as a group went through some rough stuff and think we respected each other pretty well :cool:

i'm the guy with the least experience so i have to look to you guys for guidance so please feel free to pop in here and give constructive criticism, it only helps to make it better ;)

i will re-read what everyone posts to be sure ive got what they are saying, i have been told by some guitarists in town that i am a guitarist but havent "realised it yet"????? whatever that means hehehehe

thanks i appreciate the thoughts and the thoughts and advice to come, i want to be a good member of the band and be an asset not an a$$hole :D

Scream And Fly
08-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Well, I guess it’s time for me to tell my guitar-playing story…

To me, playing guitar is something that just sort of happened. When I was little I saw a Def Leppard video, and suddenly it hit me… “Playing guitar = lots of girls and being cool.” I think that’s how it is with everyone when you’re that little. I was too young to have any real appreciation for music. I just wanted to be cool. The music appreciation came later on. I got my foot in the door because it looked so cool to be a guitar player.

Later on, I started learning how to play in 1987 by watching live concert footage of Slash from Guns N’ Roses. Slash was it for me – when they hit the scene in 1987 I was floored. So, I would sit in front of my television with the concert on the VCR and freeze the up-close shots of what Slash was doing. Rewind, freeze, rewind, freeze, and imitate. That’s pretty much it. That was a very long time ago, but it feels like yesterday. I would start playing on my own soon after that, but I never really sat down with the guitar and really practiced… It was always a casual thing for me. I would play while watching TV, a movie, etc. I also had a great friend named Jackie that would listen to me jam away for hours. She had a lot of patience! We would hang out in her basement all night while I played guitar. She really was a great person.

Soon after, I played in bands, and gigged all over the place. College came, and I still did it. I had to learn a lot of stuff quickly, but I learned to trust my ear. That’s what really all made it happen. Your ear will never fail you, as long as you develop it.

I came into contact with many people, and my mother, being friends with people at Poly-Gram records helped too. I ended up making soundtracks for television commercials – one of which was the Gillette Mach 3 Razor. LOL! I started getting more involved in recording and started appearing on some CD’s that ended up in stores, which was a revelation. My latest was Wicked Maraya’s “Cycles.” After that, I started playing live again, but I started a project with my cousin (who also plays guitar) and we began recording and writing. Some fill in gigs came along (Warrant, etc.) which was fun, and I would still do more if I had the time.

With that all being said, I can say a few things about playing on stage in front of a lot of people…

1. It’s the greatest feeling in the world.
2. You must play the audience – the audience wants YOU to direct their excitement. Not the other way around.
3. Feel the music – don’t try too hard to get something out.
4. Concentrate on the drummer and bass player. Look at the drummer often so he knows you’re connected with him.
5. Solos are fun, but it’s the rhythm that makes the song. Being a good rhythm player is a very difficult task. The rhythm and bass guitar lays the foundation for the rest of the band. Some people think that as a guitar player in the rhythm section, you can just play easy chords. Wrong! There is so much more to it than that. Perfect timing, an incredible right hand technique (if you’re right-handed) and knowing how much volume to use, how much gain, etc.
6. Solos: you’re not on stage to impress people – you’re there to make music. Yeah, we all like doing our tricks on stage, myself included, but make sure it’s musical – not just noise.
7. There is a difference between projection and volume.
8. The best things are always the most simple.

When I play on stage, I just interact with everyone. You’re a team up there. I never really think much about what I am doing. When I solo, most of the time I don’t know what I am going to do until I’m at that part in the song. A lot of times, the audience will be my inspiration for the solo.

Finally, playing an instrument is about having fun, not worrying about who’s better than you. It’s not a contest. All musicians are talented. Musicians are made, not born.

Greg

kathy
08-09-2002, 04:10 PM
This is what you call communication..... Learning alot here from all you guys. Is it possible to rewind back to the "Rumble" say Thursday night at 10:00 p.m.

Talon2.5
08-10-2002, 08:54 AM
yeah kathy turning the clock back to thursday at 10 WITH both these guys present.........can you immagine what could have gone down!! man that would have been the sheot thats for sure :D

another thing on what bob said about a CD with "our part" that we play missing.........i saw some books at the music store that had CD's that did just that, had the part you wanna learn missing and the rest of the music was on it, so i'm gonna see what they have as far as songs go and pick up on to try it

thanks anthony and greg for sharing your thoughts as well as HB very good points indeed!! we need to keep this kind of discussion going and keep an open mind on it

one thing i think hurt us too is the lack of monitors, damage had a hard time telling who was playing what without them and i couldnt hear bruce that well over the drum kit, just wanted that to be known too ;)

i did however like the way HB miced as much equipment as he could!!

practicing unplugged is a new one on me, but i have done it with the acoustic, for the most part i did that real low not to bother the wife tooooo much :(

using my ear as a guide is how i write my own stuff so that may come easier for me

one thing for sure what happened this time was a plus on the learning side, and a test of commeradery, and will to do it 'cause it still went down with good reviews :eek:

thanks for your thoughts!!

AnthonySS
08-12-2002, 07:30 AM
Yes I have to agree this is some good stuff.

Thank Bob and Thanks Greg. Great points buddy...and I like your story and I love you philosphy on music.

I think someday when we do get this full gig together, we will be real great together.

We all seem to share the same feelings about music... being fun!!

SKIP and KATH...glad you are appreciating these writings and THANKS for reading!!!

Yesterdays' Gig did not go that well for me....My amp was crapping out on stage and I was totally distracted by it...

Thats another thing that is KEY....RELIABLE Sound Equipment and I always tell new guitarists to start by buying good quality "patch" chords. NOTHING WORSE then BAD Chords!!!:(

Some of the ones I have are over 20 years old and they have been run over, pinched...you name it...and they are still as realiable as they have ever been!!

They COST more money but they are worth it!!!

For history sake...AS has been playing guitar since 1974... (10 yrs old) but I am still learning and I am NOT as good as I should be for the years I have played!!!

Rickracer
08-12-2002, 08:35 AM
i'm still waiting to read the thoughts of damage inc on what he would like to see happen with this, he had alot of valid points while we were there ;)

skip

Damage Inc
08-12-2002, 08:44 AM
Sorry bud!! I'm working on it, just been incredibly busy!! :(

I could make a few short comments now, but I am afraid that would not do the subject justice. There has been too much time and effort put into this for me to belittle it by making a one or two line observation! :D I have collected my thoughts and I WILL get to it soon, I promise! ;)

You guys are great and the comments made so far have been very productive. It is great to hear so much positive attitude and constructive criticism! I hope when I give my thoughts on the subject it comes across the same way.

Damage Inc
08-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Well, I finally got around to it, so here goes.

First off, I want to say that I enjoyed playing with the “original” guys, Skip, Bob, and Bruce. You guys were great! I also enjoyed playing with the “jam” members, Laker, Nut, Eric, and Joey. The jam session was way cool!

Now, that being said….

Yes, I was disappointed that Greg wasn’t able to make it. Yes, I was disappointed when Kathy wasn’t able to sing. Yes, I was disappointed that Woodco didn’t make it. BUT, dispite all that, we persevered and had a good time anyway! Some things are beyond our control and we have to accept that and move on.

Now on to next time….

Here are my thoughts on the band next year. I would enjoy doing it again, but feel that certain things need to be addressed first. I think a SOLID commitment needs to be made by all of those that want to participate. By this I mean they should commit to the band as a whole, to the other members that are sacrificing their time and money to make it happen.

It sounds as if we have enough people to cover all instruments, but no real singer (no offense, Kath). Singing to a live band is difficult at best, if you have never done it or never played an instrument. A “jam session” is O.K. without a singer, but a “show” is not. We must have a singer in order to really put on a show. A jam session usually does not consist of “complete” songs, so they tend to be cool if you are a musician, but not if you are a spectator. We need to put on a show, so we NEED a singer. I think this show should be at the pavilion, not at the Tiki Bar. That way we can avoid this year’s situation and if the locals want to come hear the band, they are more than welcome to come down.

I think a song list should be compiled that will not only be fun to play, but something that the audience can get into. I couldn’t help but notice how much the crowd enjoyed the Georgia Satellites song and the Joe Walsh song. The song list needs to have upbeat, crowd friendly songs, not slow, sappy songs and not heavy metal either! These songs should be popular songs that everybody knows/likes. We should start this process as soon as possible, so that we do not have to spend the entire weekend doing the band thing. I towed my boat 14 hours and barely got to use it! If we get it together now, we will only have to iron out the details on site. Organization is the key.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that we can all work something out and improve over this year. Feedback?

AnthonySS
08-14-2002, 06:18 AM
...bout time we got your comments and they are GREAT...THANKS!!!

For fun...we should start compiling the list of songs again. I'll give it a go soon with like you said..."more" crowd freindly upbeat songs!!!

Maybe a few ballads:)

Talon2.5
08-14-2002, 05:08 PM
we need to seriously look into the songs we choose too

guitars
vocals
drums
keyboards
harmonicas
special effects...whas talk boxes etc.
horns and so on

we need popular songs but straight forward instruments to!!

and...................

who plays what, lead, rythm, drums, bass, vocals, keyboards and we need the people who say "yea i'll do it" to be solid as damage said and be in "group" mode not the "star" attitude that can happen :rolleyes: we need to dicide as a group who is best on what instrument for the part, i bowed out on 6 string totally because i saw bob is better than me and i was VERY happy to do it for the best results!! we need that as a group i think, seems to be a LOT of 6 string players and we went without an actual bass player so i stepped up to the plate for that because i wanted it to work out for all of us!!

if they say they wanna do it we need to "know if they can" do it before we drive 16 hours and spend money on equipment just to have the air sucked out from under our wings (this is not a jab at what we went through this time!!!!!!!!!!) just stating facts we need to pay attention to ;) really i mean that!! i'm NOT taking shots just speaking my mind ;)

damage is a good drummer no doubt!!

anthony says he's not into the lead as much as greg so rythm sounds like his forte'

greg is both lead and rythm so thats his deal.......mostly lead!!

halveb is definately a rythm 6 string man, he's good and knows alot of stuff

i myself being a man that is 6 string but no experience went to bass and it worked, the drummer said i was in the groove and kept time ok :D WOW IT WORKED hahahaha

laker is a 6 string man but not into the band thing as he stated before the "jam" thing is good for him

joey is a talented young man!! dont know what older songs he has under his belt in the "popular music" realm

eric and bruce were life savers at this rumble but they were there to race, primary concern

H2O is a bass player and he should consider this :)

all things need to be considered carefully this time to ensure "EASE" of playing and more time socializing instead of practicing for 3 days songs we didnt know we were gonna do and that comes back to damage's SOLID foundation of band members ;)

sorry just wanted to state my thoughts :D absolutely mean nothing bad to anyone at all just hoping we get an easier chance at playing at the rumble III

:D

Scream And Fly
08-14-2002, 05:36 PM
This thread is great!

Well, from what I understand, the selected songs were never played that the Rumble. Personally, I thought they were great selections, and should not be ruled out for next year. With this much preparation time, we should be able to have quite a long set of songs. And we must not forget...

Skip's Solo!

Greg:)

AnthonySS
08-15-2002, 09:35 AM
I agree with GREG that a lot of this years selections were decent tracs...

remeber we did put a lot of time and thought into that list.

Maybe just a few adds or deletions...but basically good!!!

What Strings and guage do you guys all use???

Bob what do you use for effects??

halveb
08-15-2002, 11:05 AM
Anthony and everyone else,

I am an effectless guy. I haven't mastered the guitar enough to worry about effects yet or at least that's the way I feel. My small tube amp has overdrive and chorus and that is mostly all I use.

I realize that there are songs that require effects in order to completely recreate the song but I sort of avoid those or do 'em without the effects. I bought a Zoom 5050 effects board that has everything in it but introduces so much noise I found it unusable. I thinK I will go the peddle route eventually when I get around to it.

My opinion on the band thing is everything should be driven from vocals. I tried to bring out some vocalists when we originally started this but without much success (no offense meant Kathy but you were the only one who stepped up and that took guts). I don't know if there really aren't that many singers that like high performance boating or if they are all really shy. The vocals always seems to be the hardest part of putting a band together. A good vocalist makes or breaks a band. Not to say that the musicians don't make or break it but it is easier to tune a guitar than a voice (believe me I can't get mine off that slightly flat tone and I've been trying.)

I would really like to sing and I think my doctor and I have figured out my coughing problem so I will make an effort to learn to sing some songs. Just ask Skip, Damage Inc. and the rest of the band, I ain't no Pavoratti for sure but I am willing to try. If it don't cut it then so be it. :D

I had no problem with the song list but then again I am willing to play almost anything. The Guns & Roses songs while great songs have very distinct vocals and would have been HARD to do. Same with many of the other metal types songs but not all of them. Several people asked if we did any country when we were down there jamming and all I could come up with was Fire On The Mountain by Marshall Tucker. I kind of felt like the Blues Brothers at the Country and Western bar when the only remotely country song they knew was Rawhide. :D

Who can sing and what can they sing? That is what should guide us. I agree totally with Damage Inc. when he said the formal band needs to sing. In my opinion, even jamming quickly degenerates into noise when there is no recognizable melody. It may be fun for the person playing but for those listening it gets tiring quickly. As I embark on my attempt to become a vocalist (remember no promises) I will keep everyone informed of what I can sing. Anyone else who is willing to do so can make the same suggestions for songs. It is almost impossible to generate a song list then find a singer who can do those songs. It usually goes the other way around.

As Paul Harvey says.....and now you know the rest of the story.

Scream And Fly
08-15-2002, 11:26 AM
For strings, I usually use GHS Boomers, 10's.

As for effects, depending on the venue and song, sometimes I go straight into the Marshall. For rhythm, I usually use a little reverb and compression, and that's it. For solos, it's reverb, chorus, delay, compression, sometimes a wah.

Greg

AnthonySS
08-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Cool to hear Bob and Greg use little to no effects.

ME I use a few, Distortion, Flange, Chorus, Analog, Delay, Phase once and a while...

I think I should look into some compression...

Strings

D'Ad...EXL120+ (0.0095 to 0.044)

ShorePounder
08-15-2002, 01:33 PM
I've only got a couple of effects. I've got a flange, home built copy of a Big Muff distortion, and a Cry Baby Wah. I usually go straight into the amp. I don't like the tone I get from the Big Muff into the solid state preamp on my amp so I just bump the gain up on the amp itself. I like the wah, but I need to mod it so its out of the signal chain when it's off. There seems to be alot of signal loss when the wah is off but still in the path.

I use D'Addario XL120's 10 to 42's on my Strat and 10 to 46 on my Les Paul. After I put them on and get them settled in, they stay in tune extremely well.

Any of you guys use aftermarket pickups?? I'd like to replace the weak stock Epiphone bridge pickup in my LP, I'm leaning towards a Duncan Custom Custom. I'm wanting something with a nice mid, and not so twangy on the bottom end. When I get the extra cash, my Strat's getting a trio of Bill Lawrence single coils. I've never heard a bad word about them, and I really like the way they sound clean or cranked.

Laker
08-15-2002, 06:21 PM
For strings I use GHS Boomers 9s mostly, I still have some super slinkys and 5150 packs too but GHS normaly.
For at the house I have a Peavey Bandit just to jam, I have a 5150 but Im probably going to sell it because its just too freaking loud to use but a stadium. I also have a 212 special that rocks. I like my johnson Melinum for playing where I need lots of effects!

halveb
08-16-2002, 04:18 PM
Come to think of it compression would be a good thing. Not that I ever accidently strum extra hard one time then barely touch the strings the next. :D

I think a new amp is in my future but if I buy one it won't fit in the truck with everything else I have to bring to the Rumble. I really have to keep the equipment down to one truck load and I'm not buying a U-haul. :D

I will keep working on the monitor thing. I would like to set the record straight in that I have little to no experience in setting up a stage. Even though I have the equipment that was the second time I had set up an entire stage and the first time I did it by myself (it looked good but wasn't as functional as it should have been). I have been told by more experienced people I need to look into notch filters to take care of that feedback problem.

Anyone a closet sound guy/girl with any advice?

ShorePounder
08-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Okay I'll come out of the closet (I prefer the term isolation booth:D) on this one. The notch filter would be dialed in to cut out anything at 60hz (AC power frequency, or the hum you hear when everyone's quiet) You can do the same thing with an EQ (basically a group of notch filters)

What board are you using?? I've got a little bit of studio experience and a little bit of small venue live experience, but it's been awhile.

Talon2.5
08-17-2002, 02:39 AM
you know...........the more i think of this...........without a singer this isnt gonna work :(

halveb
08-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Skip, I don't want to hear defeatist talk like that. The appropriate response is..."your right HB, guess I'll start learning to sing." :D

Alright pounder. I have a 32 band Alesis EQ that should do the trick. I'll just have to experiement to figure out what frequency is causing the feedback. It is the high screechy kind so its got to be up there. Is there a best way to go about finding the frequency or is it kind of listen and guess? Do you completely cut each frequency until you find it? Is it usually just one band?

I am using a Mackie 1604, sixteen channels (six of them with mic pre-amps. I have a Behringer active crossover that send the signals to a crown 500 watt amp for low frequency and a Sunn 400 watt amp for mid to high frequency. I brought a cheap vocal effects processor with me but have a Alesis Midiverb at my studio at home

ShorePounder
08-17-2002, 05:50 PM
60hz is the feedback monster. It's the hum from the power feeding the amps/signal processing. It gets into the signal path via the amplification stages, then gets sent out throught the speakers, picked up tby the mics then sent back through the amplification stage out the speaker where it gets picked up....

All AC power (on this side of the big blue pond) oscillates at 60 cycles Nature of the beast.

If you still have feedback problems, it's a gain issue. Dont' run the mics as hot, let the PA do the work. In some small venues, it may be necessary to gate all or some of the mics. Gates are aggravating sometimes

Talon2.5
08-18-2002, 03:23 PM
HB, it's not defeatist .............it's dafacts ;)

do you seriously want to travel that far just to push on and push on get slapped and push on all over again?

that was rough brother!! we pulled it off the best we could but a re-play of that i would rather read about than live it again ;)

i love playing!! i love what i came away from that with and the friends i made doing it, but we need something solid on a singer who has a songlist before i can do that again :)

kathy
08-18-2002, 04:25 PM
First off I want to apologize to all of you for NOT coming even near through for you. I mean that sincerely.

I keep coming back here to this thread and continue to see how disappointed you all truely were with everything. Especially with me and my not performance. I can handle your critism it is well deserved. Though not directly aimed at me. It is in a round about way.

Going back to the beginning of this and the planning I was 100% ready to give it all I had. We had issues coming up before we all even left to go to the Rumble. Issues that were taken care of. It was difficult communicating over the internet trying to get this to work. But all of you continued to go forward in making it work and I also was a big part of that. My attitude was good........ my focus was a 100% on singing with you all. The minute I got my damn cd it went into my player and I began writing the words down. Going over the songs with the cd and singing with the cd. I even did them with karaoke when I would go out. What I did was programmed my self to the cd and the voices on the cd. I had the beat down to every song. I had myself cued when to come in at the beginning, middle and end. I was set. At least I thought I was enough to get to the Rumble and JUST DO IT!!!!

Seems that didn't happen due to the fact I lost all of my focus once I got there and yes I am getting to this again. I have to. I was told that the lead guitarist wasn't going to be able to make it. I was told by you guys who at the time seemed as disappointed as I was and as angry as I was. I AM BLAMING NO ONE BUT MYSELF SO LET THAT BE KNOWN. Whether or not the lead guitarist was there wouldn't have made a difference for me at all.... as all of you know. I had no focus when we got to the pit NONE..... my attitude was not positive and I knew it the minute I was asked to start singing. I knew it was going to take TIME in even getting any thing out of me. Time as you know was NOT on our side. The band was going to be performing the following night.

As you know I got a beer to try and somewhat get focused. And no I don't depend on beer to sing!!! :) At that point I needed something and that was what I needed.

Then..... Bob comes walking over and grabs the guitar and starts jamming. He didn't know the ones we had lined up. Again, not that it would have made a difference on my end.

I had lost my focus so bad..... and I had no one to re-focus me and I had no time to get focused. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. In fact, I know I didn't I never give up on something I have my mind set on!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER AND NONE OF YOU WOULD KNOW THIS BECAUSE NONE OF YOU KNOW ME. I should have went back over with you guys saturday afternoon to practice but I thought you had decided to just do without the singer. I should have gotten with all of you to see if that is what you had decided instead of simply assuming. I apologize for that. I hope it is accepted.

It was wrong of me to let you down. Especially after going off on Skip Friday night saying we have to do it..... HE KNOWS WHAT WORDS I USED HE LET ME HAVE IT FOR JUMPING ON HIM.....

I feel and you all I know do not feel this way...... but had I had more time to get it together and done songs that I truely could have sung then it could have and would have worked. You see we got back home and I immediately went back to the place where I do karaoke. I put my songs in and I did them I had a point to prove to myself and it was proven.

I wish you guys the best of luck in getting this together for Rumble 3. You all play fantastic. You were awesome to listen to. You made Scream and Fly proud! Have fun it is what it is all about....... THAT I HAVE LEARNED ALSO.

I am glad of one thing........ I got to meet some of the sweetest, kindest people I have ever came in contact with. All of you and not just the band guys but all of the people there were great. I think I have friends of mine talked into coming to the Rumble next year simply due to the fact of my bragging about how great all of you are and your boats!!!!!

Take care and good luck!! I am your biggest fan!!!!!!!

I have something I am focusing on right now and NOTHING OR NO ONE IS GOING TO GET IN MY WAY.

H2Onut
08-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Hell, you want an out of key singer, I'll get the crowd in a roar, I'll make em all sing along. I will play or do anythign to help, The musicans that attended last years Rumble were 1st freakin class, Damage, Skip, Half-B, Allison, Eric, Laker, and the guys nephw, He could jam. Soooooo It seems like there could be more than one BAND or music group, I mean the Pavillion is there 7x24 and does not close down, (those os us that witnesses that) So......Whats the story morning glory????

Several Options ?

Enough musicians that there could be people catering to there taste in music. Ie 90's 80's 70's......

The music that is played for the public need to be upbeat and toe tap kinda stuff, this will attract people and all will have a good time. Rumble 2 clustflock turned good, learned alot,,,but mostly 3 very dedicated people worked there asses off, TALON< DAMAGE<HALF-B ...I kept hearing people save I know those 3 are here ..where are they.

So Hell, Skip, maybe we can throw together a SUnshine Syndicte band, Grab the pounder and we will pull something off ?????

halveb
08-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Pounder, 60hz it is brother. I'll dial that down and see how it works. I don't know if I'm overdriving the mics but it seems that the vocals are always the toughest to get loud enough.

I see where you are coming from and I think I know the answer. Leave the Mics where they are and turn down the guitars and drums and then work the main faders. Hope that works. I think experimentation is the key to knowledge and success. If I am on the wrong track let me know.

Skip, I agree with ya and was giving you a bit of a jab in fun. I think vocals is what will make it also. We have a year to find or develop a vocalist. With that said, I am not giving up on the idea. You are correct in that it was rough but that's what builds character. I don't doubt it was rougher for you than me cause I've done it a couple of times but in the end look what ya got out of it. :D

Kathy, I wasn't disappointed in you. I knew what you were up against probably more so than you did (age and experience). You seemed to have a good attitude so I thought lets let it rip. You tried and that's more than anyone else was willing to do on the vocal end of things. Keep on practicing, I don't know if you'll ever make a top notch vocalist but I do know one thing, you won't if you don't try. ;)

Unless something very unusual happens in my job I plan on being back next year and bringing my equipment as well. When I have gotten through the busy season at work I will post my ideas here (when I have come up with something) and go from there. I think we could do all kinds of stuff and have fun. I may even put together a local band and convince them to come along (doubtful but ya never know). :D

All I know is that even though it was difficult and sometimes more like work than play, it was still a lot of fun and I met some wonderful people doing it. I can certainly understand if anyone who did the Rumble band thing this year didn't want to do it again but if so I hope you still come to the Rumble and we can toast over past experiences and have a good time.

Half B out.

ShorePounder
08-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Halveb, or should I say grass hoppa :D

You get the picture now!! The guitar amps usually hold there own in small venues unless they themselves are small (i.e that Minx bass amp I sent Skip up there with) Micing them is cool, but not always necessary AND it is another source of the dreaded 60 Hz hum. Especially if the guy is playing a guitar with single coil pickups. Stock Strats and Tele's are notorious for generating hum/buzz.

A good vocalist will not need alot of mic. They're already projecting their voice when they are singing. It's the mic's job to capture that and send it to the PA so that it can compete with the other instruments. If your singer is basically yellin into the mic, you won't need the fader much above 0db. Screamers need less, Balladeers need more.

Another thing you can try, is mic specific EQing. Set the EQ to roll off any frequencies above and below below those capable of being produced by the instrument. You don't need 8Khz going to the PA from the bass channel. And you don't need 30hz on the vocalist's line.

Go forth grass hoppa and apply your knowledge. You will see this material again on a stage somewhere :D

I don't know everything, but you're welcome to anything I do.:D

Talon2.5
08-19-2002, 04:37 AM
my statements about a singer are not shots at kathy nor do i expect her to repeat herself again, i am simply saying we need a singer at rumble III that is ready with the songlist that thier voice can do and they know it due to thier own experience in singing live, this was said in this thread before by some one else not just me

then we will have a direction to go for a song list for the musicians to learn how to play

i have alot of respect for damage and half-b in thier abilities, personally i came there with the least musical abilities and helped the best i could ;) we had fun :D we had let downs :( we did what at first we thought we couldnt do the pavillion jams were a hoot and it brought out the "other" musicians that we didnt know about but do now!!

this is how i see next years line up............

70's
halveb......rythm guitar
anthonyss........rythm,leads guitar
damage.........drums
greg............leads on guitar
H2Onut .........bass

80's
greg ......lead and rythm guitar
laker.......rythm guitar
joey........rythm guitar, if laker doesnt want to do the band deal, or if he does then 3 kick ass guitars!!
damage........drums
H2onut...........bass

90's
greg..........lead guitar
laker/joey..........rythm guitar
damage...........drums
H2Onut............bass

and of course bruce can jump in if he wants to and throw out some 'skynerd, eric and his change in his pocket :)

the songlists are subject to a singer and thier range capabilities in thier voice, there are 3 people in bands or get togethers in this list with singers, well actually 4 with joey having a band, we have anthony in his band, greg with his band and halveb with his get togethers where he lives, MAYBE one of these folks can get a singer to the rumble??

i only left myself out because of the talent i saw there, i feel that these folks listed are the ones to make it work in my opinion, if i am able to go to the rumble again i will gladly assist with set-up and board work, sound and so on:D

and at the end if wanted, i will do the star spangled banner :D

but i really feel that for the rumble III music to be a total hit that the line-up i put in above is definately the chemistry needed to make it a ROCKIN' success :D and i mean that, the talent and the true musicianship of those listed above is awsome in my eyes, and it can only lead to success ;)

Talon2.5
08-19-2002, 04:47 AM
posted by kathy..............
I keep coming back here to this thread and continue to see how disappointed you all truely were with everything. Especially with me and my not performance. I can handle your critism it is well deserved. Though not directly aimed at me. It is in a round about way.

ok kathy we heard that enough, this singer talk is NOT aimed at you, it is discussion for future evnts that has to be discussed for a successfull event, so no more kicking yourself.......ok

i am not stating this singer stuff because of you!!

hell if we had not gotten bruce to play or any other lead guitarist it was finished completely with no chance of going on at all, so next year we have that to face also!! no lead......no band!!!

hell with all the crap i have put up with lately i think it's time for me to just sit back and watch from now on in alot of different aspects of my life!! sitting on the sidelines looks pretty damn good right now!! and i'm starting to get some peace in my life finally ;) more time at home and with wendy........life is good

Jeff "Yammer"
08-19-2002, 12:21 PM
As long as I can keep the Lifeline and lid on my head so when the **** starts flinn at me I'll be some what safe !!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!

Jeff

halveb
08-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Alright, we got fresh meat. :D Yeah right...he thinks a puny helmet and a lifeline can save him from an angry mob. :D JK Yammer you would never need such protection with the fine bunch of people we attract. The only negative comments I heard at the rumble were from locals who were lead to believe a real band was showing up. :eek:

Now come on guys...I didn't mean it that way. We'll find or develop ourselves a singer or die trying. Yammer....figaro, figaro, figaro, I believe he's got it. If not there aren't many that could catch him once he got to his boat anyway. :D

By the way Skip ya left out Pounder and Woodco on your list of people in the band(s).

Talon2.5
08-19-2002, 05:02 PM
i dont think we can get pounder that far away from home :eek: :D

woodco was skeeered to play thats why he didnt come :eek: he was with greg :eek: :D

halveb
08-19-2002, 05:56 PM
Uh oh....was that a gauntlet I heard being thrown down. :eek: :D

Pounder, Woodco, you guys listening?

ShorePounder
08-19-2002, 10:41 PM
You see this chit???? Rodney Dangerfield gets more respect than I do!!! :rolleyes:

Yo Godfatha, if you's gonna play da bass for da band, you's better be findin yer own. We ain't got no more basses here. capeche? :D :D

Keep it up Paperboy and you'll be Fast Company's vocalist. (remember the solo discussions??):eek: Think about it. ;)

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 04:13 AM
Keep it up Paperboy and you'll be Fast Company's vocalist

hhmmmm,
ok looks like pounders the new fast company soloist and lead guitar!! i knew ya could do it:D just needed a little push :D

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 05:52 AM
oh!!! i forgot.......he knows how to play drums!! and bass!! and 6 string!! and also knows how to work the boards!!

pounder you da man!!! see i knew you could do it!!

pounder's gonna give us a solo!!! rumble III musical artist of the year!!

brings a tear to my eye, the talent this man has :D hehehehe

hehehehehe, remember throwing me to the dogs on the other thread bro???????:D

i wont even need to practice anything with pounder going!! only practice i'll need is not falling out of my chair trying to get a beer outa my cooler while watching this great concert ;)

ahhhhh such a sigh of relief knowing pounders gonna get 'er done!!

i'm behind you all the way BUDDY!!!! eeeerrrr i mean way behind you BUDDY!! eeeerrr no wait......oh the hell with it you go boy!! :D

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 05:59 AM
oh man i just had a thought hit me like a ton of bricks!!

with him going..........I CAN STAY HOME :D :D :D :cool:

oh, and when VH1 hears of his attendance i can watch it all on TV!!! i can see it now...........................

behind the music, rumbleIII, featuring shore pounders band "fast company", only on VH1 saturday at 8, 7 central, the legend lives on, you wont wanna miss it!! and it's only on VH1!!

hehehehehe, you musta had fun throwing me to the dogs, 'cause i sure am this time :D

so there ya have it, i didnt mention him because i thought his talents would "overshadow" the rest of the band ;)

greg give him a call!! if ya need his number let me know, his talents are so exclusive not many folks have that number!! :D

from the other thread throwing poor skip to the dogs........quote

Heheheheheh

Yo Greg, Skip's been trying to wiggle his way out of this deal since it started. You should have heard him the other day when I told him my other plans had been cancelled. "So now that you're not going to that other thing, you can play guitar and I can sit in the crowd and drink beer and relax." I said" Who said I was going?" "Ya gotta go now ." Then I asked him what he would do if I accidently forgot to bring a guitar. Me being a lefty, it's not like I can just pick up someone elses guitar and play. "Oh we kind find you a guitar" I said "Skip, if someone shows up with a left handed guitar after I deliberately left mine at home, I'm gonna beat you with it!!!"

I think a solo in front of a crowd would do him some good.
Get him up there all decked out with his hat, boots and his ghost flamed Gretsch or for a truly 80's experience, his Ironbird. Hey I know!!! You can make him play a solo with the Gretsch and another one with da bird. Yeah!! I like that idea.

Now I need to go home, change my phone number, and move to a new house before Skip reads this

and this one from pounder throwing poor skip to the dogs also, quote............_________________________________________

That's what I been trying to tell him Nut. It's rock and roll, not rocket science.

He's gonna kick my lilly white transom next time he sees me!!

heheheheehhohohohohbwahahaha, oh ahh well i guess it's time for me to move outa state oooohhh that was good, hmmm where do i wanna live now?

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 07:59 AM
poetic justice?

probably more like skips last will and testament hahahaha:eek:

halveb
08-20-2002, 11:56 AM
Skip you ain't gonna get out of it that easy. Think Allman Brothers, Lynard Skynard, Doobie Brothers. These bands had at least nine people on stage.

Just cause Pounder's gonna make it don't mean you get to stay home in front of the tube. Besides, you need to go up to Kentucky to work on your Suntan...er....I mean Sunburn. :D

Ladies and Gentlemen, the one, the only, Skip Hendrix performing the Star Spangled Banner. Crowd goes wild. :cool: Next year I might even bring the wife and kid, wait that might scare you away...never mind.

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 12:10 PM
hey now thats not the reply we needed here :eek:

he said he would do it!! i found it in the other thread so it's his baby now :D

Scream And Fly
08-20-2002, 12:19 PM
I wanna hear Skip's solo!

:)

Greg

ShorePounder
08-20-2002, 12:30 PM
ROFL!!!!! You just thought you were gonna throw me to the dogs. Looks like they like your scent better.

nyaaa nyaaa nya nyaaa nyaaaaaaaaaaa!! :D :D

Skip, instead of thinking about which state you want to move to, expand your horizons. Think non-extradition country. :D

Keep it up, I'm gonna come over there and poke holes in the bottom of the Talon, sign you up for "You too can learn country guitar in 2000 easy lessons", throw miracle grow in your front lawn, and dull the blade on your mower. That's just for pi$$in me off. Wait til I come after you for pullin this little stunt.:D

Where did I go wrong?:rolleyes:

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 12:31 PM
greg start by reading this slowly and out loud

do do do dee dee dee da da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da da do dee do do do do da dee da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da dado do do dee dee dee da da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da da do dee do do do do da dee da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da dado do do dee dee dee da da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da da do dee do do do do da dee da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da dado do do dee dee dee da da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da da do dee do do do do da dee da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da do do do do do da dee da da da da dado do do dee dee dee da da da da da da dee dee dee dee dee da da da da da da daaaaaaaaaa do dee do do do dooooooooooooooo,

there ya go buddy sounds good huh!!:D

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Where did I go wrong?

I think a solo in front of a crowd would do him some good

It's rock and roll, not rocket science.

Keep it up Paperboy and you'll be Fast Company's vocalist

been trying to wiggle his way out of this deal

You can make him play a solo with the Gretsch

and another one with da bird. Yeah!! I like that idea.

where did you go wrong? hahahahaha

kathy
08-20-2002, 12:51 PM
I needed my best friend there to wish me luck!!!!!!!!!! lmao

Scott
08-20-2002, 12:56 PM
I guess I was just under the wrong impression

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 01:00 PM
gee scott she said the best nightof her life was when she was gonna sing and now she posts a pic of her best friend...........and it's not you?? wow, good luck buddy, good luck!!

Scott
08-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Amazing

kathy
08-20-2002, 01:09 PM
Scary you two think alike. Nothing wrong with having a best girl friend...... Guys have best guy friends don't they ?

halveb
08-20-2002, 03:26 PM
No comment seems appropriate at this point. :D Scott maybe you oughta let the clear coat alone awhile. ;)

Talon2.5
08-20-2002, 06:24 PM
well my friends dont stick thier tongue out when we take pics to taste my face hehehehehe you need to re-evaluate the pics you post tongue girl ;)

good luck scott, good luck!!

Scott
08-21-2002, 06:57 AM
Luck is all thats left!

Back to the music portion of the thread.....Weather you guys play at the bar or not, don't give up on the music idea in general. Some of the best times I had at the Rumble were at the pavillion when ya'll got out the gear and just played! It was freakin fantastic! Nicholas had never seen anyone play an electric and he was just amazed...until he was to just tired to keep his eyes open! Everyone who played, played great, heck even Raptor was a hoot on the drums! Anyway, thats all I wanted to say.

Talon2.5
08-21-2002, 01:45 PM
scott,

man why didnt you tell me your son liked it that much, i woulda sat him down and let him play the gretsch!!! he woulda had a blast man!!

myself, honestly, i dont think i want that kind of hastle again ;)

if and i say if i can go next year i may bring some stuff to have fun at the pavillion, but thats about it, not being close enough to the guys to practice and learn and have a solid foundation of people isnt my bag, besides there was alot of talent there that just doesnt need me in the middle of it not knowing how to play it ;)

pulling that off was a miracle to say the least, and lightning doesnt strike twice so i''l take the fun, friends and pics i got from it this time and let it go for next year, the disapointments can be on someone elses back next time

but even with the hastles, some of the practices and some of the actual night at the bar were fun and thats a fact!!

H2Onut
08-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Tou are so full of BS it kills me, you guys sounded FARGING GREAT. I dont know what you've been listening for, YOur ass oughta be up on that stage NO METTER WHAT, you say you cant play ???? whats that all about, you know how to play that damn guitar !!!!!!!

Like I said, me you and the ponder can practice on the weekends, hell I am lookin at a battery powered pignose, we can play at the lake on the weekends. THe "BAND" need to blow the sox off the tiki bar next year and then crumble the pavillion (in a sense) Too many good memories from that deal.

It will just take alternative plan planning this time, be prepared for it all. I understand your whole weekend revolved around the band deal but nest year can practice in pavilion all day, wont be as hot this time,have 5 fans, with te musicians can just jam all day and night.

DOnt throw in the towel, just put on a new set of gloves ant get back in the ring !

kathy
08-21-2002, 07:04 PM
CHANGE THE ATTITUDES HERE EVERYBODY INCLUDING ME!! START FROM SCRATCH YOU ALL KNOW NOW WHO CAN PLAY GUITARS......... **** PLAY AT THE PAVILION AND THE TIKI BAR TILL YOUR FINGERS FALL OFF!!!!!!:) THERE WASN'T ANYONE THERE THAT DIDN'T LIKE THE SOUND OF ANY OF YOU GUYS!!!!! YOU WERE ALL GREAT....... HELL AS FOR SINGERS JUST LET EVERYONE JOIN IN WHILE YOU PLAY! IT WILL WORK. YOU GUYS BROUGHT A LOT OF LIFE TO THE RUMBLE........ THE MUSIC WAS AWESOME....... EVEN WHEN YOU ALL WERE JUST MESSIN AROUND WITH SOME OF THE SONGS......... EVERYONE LOVES MUSIC !!!! IT BROUGHT EVERYONE CLOSER TOGETHER THERE........ WE COULD DO A BIG COOKOUT WHILE YOU ALL PLAY AND HAVE A BLAST!!!

SKIP......... YOUR SOLO GOT EVERYONE INTO IT! PERFECT SOLO TO PLAY.

COME ON SKIP GET THESE GUYS EXCITED ABOUT THIS ..... LEAD THEM LIKE YOU KNOW HOW!

IT'S GOING TO BE A BLAST !!!! CAN HARDLY WAIT TO HEAR YOU ALL AGAIN.:)

Talon2.5
08-22-2002, 09:20 AM
WE COULD DO A BIG COOKOUT WHILE YOU ALL PLAY AND HAVE A BLAST!!!

shiiiiiiit i'm gonna eat this time!!

LEAD THEM LIKE YOU KNOW HOW!
what rumble were you at anyway? i musta been at another one hahahahaha

kathy
08-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Lipton onion burgers
Chicken
Steak
little kabob thingy's

condiments (required)

Couple kegs
Blender
Jello shooters..... whoever made them can't remember! They were good

Live Music..... food.... drinks.... good people...... Looking forward to the RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! Instigator rest up!

Talon2.5
08-23-2002, 04:57 AM
kathy havent you noticed the 4 main ingredients have bailed out of this thread? so how do you think your gonna learn drums, bass, lead, rtyhm and afford a one man band kit?

whoever is actually serious about another band (musicians please) needs to either start posting some actual ideas and guidelines with a true "gonna actually play" sign up sheet and get serious in this thread or delete this one and start over with a true honest to god band thread of people who are "really" gonna do it, then maybe just maybe it really could be something other than babbleing, this one started good but then the main musicians got quiet!

wendy wants to go to the keys next year, so i think the main ingredients of rumble III fast company need to get real and start a real thread, or get this one back on track, i've said my peace and will enjoy reading some real idea's from anthony, halveb, damage and greg, H2Onut needs to join with his bass and laker with his talent and equipment, and joey with his band experience, THEN your gonna have an unbeatable line-up!!

get real or get rid of the thread it's just taking up space

halveb
08-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Skip, I will get around to it but really busy at work right now probably won't start arranging the Rumble III band until this fall. I don't know if anyone is gonna be interested though.

Time will tell. I will do something no matter what even if it is just me with an acoustic, one mic, a guitar/vocal combo amp chasing people around so they'll listen. :D

As Guns & Roses put it....."have a little patience...yeah, yeah."

Damage Inc
08-23-2002, 01:16 PM
I haven't abondoned the thread yet, but feel that I have made my point for now, which once again is:

UNTIL AN ACCOMPLISHED SINGER IS FOUND AND COMMITTED TO THE PROJECT, THERE IS NO BAND (IMHO).

WITHOUT A SINGER, IT IS JUST A JAM SESSION!

With that said, there is PLENTY of time to pull something together. I think (like Bob said) when fall rolls around people will have more time to put into this project. To be honest, next year is a LONG way off and I have tons of other stuff to do besides play drums right now. I put in my time on the project and now I have other things to get done. When a singer is found I will contribute what I can to the band project (thoughts, ideas, etc).

AnthonySS
08-27-2002, 07:12 AM
SKIP...

...what are the 4 missing main ingrediants? Did I miss something...been on holidaze...got back...SandF was down...now reading this...I am confused???

BTW...I have some things to sahre with you guys soon!!

Talon2.5
08-27-2002, 11:34 AM
well since my last post 3 of the 4 main ingredients have posted ;)

i have talked with wendy a bit about going back up there next year, we both feel that if it is "real" we can do it again but if it's gonna fall apart and have to "hang on by a thread" it's not worth getting burned again

i would love to see serious thoughts and solutions for a good time playing rumble III

Scream And Fly
08-29-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm all for it!!!

Look, it's Skip!

halveb
08-29-2002, 10:56 PM
Who was that guy who played bass for us at the Rumble then? :confused: Skiiiiiipppppp...you had some plastic surgery done or something?

Talon2.5
08-30-2002, 05:38 AM
ah ha theres the 4th main ingredient

now.......................who's gonna get a singer from thier local band?

anthony?

greg?

you both are involved with bands right now, would your singers be interested?

Talon2.5
08-30-2002, 05:42 AM
oops forgot...............

no halveb cant ya see the resemblance? it was a bad pic they took of me for the movie :rolleyes: this camera woman did a better job ;)

halveb
08-30-2002, 07:08 AM
Okay I see it now. :D

AnthonySS
08-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Currently I gig with a great trio that would back me on anything (me , bassist and drummmer)

I could probably get these guys to back us if we really needed.

Howevr I do not think my vocalist would be up to our rock stuff.

She is most comforatble with Christian Contempory.

Next month However, I will be teaming up with another Female Vocalist , that plays keys and and could give Amanda Marshall and Sarah McClaughlin (?) a run for thier money. She is only 18...and watch out for her...she'll be great someday. I'll let you know how it goes with her.

Check out these gals...they rock too...I did a concert for them last year and will be teaming up with Sharon again this fall.

I am just not sure they would be into singen Axle.

This link you might recognize one of the dudes...

http://www.spiritfireministries.net/page3.html

www.spiritfireministries.net

Talon2.5
09-04-2002, 01:49 PM
i picked up a martin thinline 332 acoustic pickup to install in my dean so i can plug it in :D

picked the guitar up monday to play for the first time since the rumble, forgot a small bit of the star spangled banner already :eek: man, i gotta get back into it again!!

gonna try to learn some stuff, been thinking about tackleing the song "hitch a ride" by boston it has a great lead at the end ;)

AnthonySS
09-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Sounds cool skip...a pickup is always nice to have in an accoustic!!!

Boston is one of my favorite all time guitar sounds!!!

That Tom Sholtz was way ahead of his time!!!

The "More Than a Feeling" intro was one of the first guitar pieces I ever learned as a kid!!!

Talon2.5
09-04-2002, 03:33 PM
anthony, greg,

whats the easiest way to get "close" to his sound?

i was looking at a marshall amp..............this is what it says,

marshall MG30DFX
30watt amp
features classic marshall distortion with modern onboard digital effects whether it's chorus, delay, reverb or flange this amp has got the goods classic tone, classic crunch $249.99

is this any good to play out with? says the sale ends the end of this month

also looking at a washburn WG208BLK metal electric, it says..........
solid hardwood black pearl beauty boasts maple neck rosewood board humbucker/single/humbucker pickup config. with 5 way switch $149.99

?????????

need professional thoughts on these (thinking about the amp) may not have enough power??? or just going for a new guitar :D

i think back at what we accomplished at the rumble and it makes me wanna do it again :eek: yep believe it or not ;)

digitech effects pedal????? it's a scary thought but.....i think i'm gonna get a little more serious about playing ;)

ShorePounder
09-04-2002, 06:45 PM
The closest you're going to get to the "Boston" sound without Tom Scholz's magic boxes is going to be purt near, but not plumb.

Not only was the guy a hell of a musician, but he was a hell of an engineer. The Scholz Rockman is an incredible piece of equipment in it's own right.

I didn't like the sound I got out of the MG series when I goofed with them at the store, but then again, I think my tone problems lie elsewhere too. Take the Gretsch over to the music store and plug it in and see what you get. If they won't let ya do it, they don't want to sell it.

I'm also of the belief that the amp shouldn't be responsible for much more than amplification. If I buy an amp with digital effects that I find out later I don't like, not only am I out the bucks I paid for the bells and whistles on the amp, but I've got to turn around and go buy a chorus/flange/overdrive/EQ assortment that I do like. May as well skip the disappointment and get what you want the first time.

just my unsolicited .02;)

AnthonySS
09-05-2002, 08:07 AM
...a bunch of good points…..

And choosing the right Amp is often a very personal thing. Like Pounder said tho…you got to to take your ”player Guitar” with you to try out various amps….don’t use the $2000 guitars on the rack!! And yes don’t buy an amp based on the effects you get with it!!!

I have been shopping for the right amp for years and once you get the one that is really good (for you)…you will hardly have too rely on any stomp boxes to get the tone you are looking for, as a good amp will give you a lot of what you are looking for, and your pedals will just be used for “colour” more then any thing!!!

So since I play a variety of music from clean to dirty… and since my main guitar is now a Strat….the obvious chose for me was a FENDER Amp, to compliment the sweet tones of the Strat.

Fender has finally come out with an amp that has the “dirt” very close to Marshall/Mesa in their Pro Series Amps….yet they have all the other Fender sweets like Fender Verb and Tremolo. It aint cheap tho, but for someone like my self , I can justify the expense for all the gigs I do. Plus 5 yr warranty and easy serviceability is important for me!!!

Another great amp to consider that is more cost effective is the Hot Rod Series (HR Deluxe and Devilles) by Fender….this is probably one of the best amps for the money…my only complaint is that the gain channel is a little noisy…but quite good and more and less drive switching!!!

All the above amps are Tube, my personal preferrence.

None the less…do some homework and go to a store that carries all the major brands…Marshall, Fender, Mesa, Trace…etc. and try them all…AGAIN make sure you bring your guitar and you may have to spend more then you think, to get what you really want…but it will be worth it!!!

GLAD to hear your into this again SKIP!!!!!

BTW I think the Sholtz effect to get a hold of is his old Power Soak…I know someone that has one that is toying about selling it….I am still working on him. …

”People living in competition…all I want is to find….my Peace of Mind”

….duna-duna-dun…duna - dun duna-dun…..repeat….

Talon2.5
09-05-2002, 09:38 AM
well maybe i'll run up to orlando one day and do some shopping, i'll go by myself because the amount of time i will spend there no one will wanna wait for me to finish my shopping, i can spend hours in my own little world doing the "on the hunt" shopping thing, ive got a sound in my head ive been looking for and the closest ive heard to it was when greg called and played over the phone, but who knows what i'll find when i go "on the hunt" for some new stuff

i cant really get serious (in my mind) till i find what i'm looking for and enjoy the sound i get :rolleyes: