PDA

View Full Version : Lexan cleaning

hwyrnr
08-06-2002, 10:34 AM
I just got a boat and the lexan has what apears to be overspray on it. What is the best way to clean that stuff off without messing it up. Thanks, Kimo

vector mike
08-06-2002, 12:11 PM
I just checked with some guys here at work who have race cars with lexan in them and they didn't know of anything that would take it off without fogging it. One guy suggested enamel thiner and another suggested nail polish remover but neither one was sure. You might want to call your automotive paint store to see what they suggest.

Rich Matyskiel
08-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Try using a real fine plastic polish like Novus rather than a thinner. You should have better luck as long as the Lexan isn't caoted with UV stuff like safety glasses or motorcycle visors.

JIMK
08-07-2002, 02:02 PM
do not use any kind of thinner,acetone or harsh chemicals such as these! voice of experiance. had lexan in our race cars and used regular car wax, the liquid kind. it will remove that film and polish out any scratches.it takes some elbow grease but it works.Jim King

LaserModVee
08-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Meguiar's makes a cleaner and a polish for plastic windows. I used it on my Jeep and on my race car that has lexan windows. I'll have to get the number off the bottles when I get home tonight.

Rickracer
08-07-2002, 02:26 PM
They use a special polish to keep their bubble gums clean . Like other have said above, do not use harsh chemicals. (voice of experience here, ran a lexan windshield in my street car for about 10 years):cool:

hwyrnr
08-08-2002, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I got some Meguiar's Cleaner, polish, wax, and did what was told. Worked out good. Thanks, Kimo

nitewolf
09-02-2002, 04:53 AM
im with laser mod vee MEGGUIERS is the ticket here if it plastic itll make it look like new a good autobody paint store should also carry a BRICK like putty thats good for removing overspray.. if you have to use a enamel reducer make damn sure its a fast drying one compare the tempature ratings on the can BUT id stick with the plastic cleaner& polish by MEGGUIERS.

sho305
09-10-2002, 10:54 PM
I have buffed monster scratches out of snowmobile windshields before with a machine buffer, and clearcoat cleaners and polishes. Had to try various ones to get it right, and keep the wheel slow and WET at all times. Used a #1 wool pad. If it gets dry it melts it. I put water on the pad to help.