PDA

View Full Version : Where to get 6.5" driver???

njj502
01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Need to replace the factory 6.5" JBL sub in her Explorer. I pretty sure I need an 8 ohm driver but don't know what to get. Don't want junk but in the same hand I think putting a $100 JL driver in a factory setup is a bit pricey. Any suggestions?

150aintenuff
01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
pull out the old one it should be marked with the ohm rating AND the original PN on the magnet.. that way you can cross it to another aftermarket JBL OR any other brand sub. and get the right rating and power requirements the new sub will need to meet.

Story
01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Well I may be able to help but the most important thing is how much air space is located in the enclosure. A JL 6W3 I think will work in about a .25 ported and .15 sealed. It will handle more power than your stock system can put out which could either be bad or good. It may be too much strain on the factury amp though. I would look at partsexpress.com. They have a bunch of raw drivers that would probable work but again the most important thing is airspace. There is a chart that has all the drivers and their specs in a spread sheet format. The only other thing I could say is calling Harmon International to see how much a replacement driver would cost. There should be a part # on the back of the driver. This would be the best solution as everything would work together as it was intended. Good luck.

pyro
01-12-2009, 09:51 PM
You need to match up the replacement driver's T/S parameters with the original. You can't just drop a high-end JL in there and expect it to perform. The amp, driver, and enclosure are all designed to work in harmony for a specific application, much like engine tuning. The JL's, for example, are designed to perform well when lots of amplifier power is available and cabinet space is limited. The factory driver is more likely a lighter-duty, lower-power handling, more efficient driver meeant to make the most out of the available power. In other words, an expensive replacement speaker might not necessarily perform as well as the original OEM driver.

I've got a spare 6.5" Ampeg bass guitar cabinet speaker on my shelf. It's got a poly cone and rubber surround. If it was my truck, I'd drop that speaker in and see how it sounds. A similar driver could be obtained from Parts Express as mentioned above.
Good luck...

njj502
01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I learned TONS today form some local and not so local shops..... From the top.... :smiletest:

Part number is available on the factory one but checking in with Ford and JBL didn't do me anything. A replacement sub from Ford includes the box at about $325 per a local audio dealer.

6W3 is too deep plus will require WAY more power than the factory amp so that scratched that. Enclosure size is close to what a 6W0 needs. Found that out today from a different local shop. Didn't get in touch with Harmon as you suggested but the plot thickens.... read on.

Understanding aftermarket systems was one of my bright sides. Mixing aftermarket with factory always scared me. I was really concerned about what power output was for the factory system and what impedence it ran. I fully understand what you are getting at Pyro so I'll move on.

So I found out more today about the factory system. Talked with multiple audio dealers. One, a former JL dealer, today told me he has done multiple 6W0 4ohm replacements into this Ford/JBL system with great sucess. I was suprised. Unfortunatly he no longer has any 6W0 subs since it was discontinued around 3 years ago. So now I'm stumped, not sure where to find one w/o again spending $100 for a JL in a stock system.

LIGHT BULB - Creative Car Audio, Joplin, MO. I used to buy stuff there 6-7 years ago when I was at school at Pitt State. Called and talked to a gent there, told him my story. He says, hell, I got 4 of them on the shelf. $90 each but since they are discontinued and your a former customer call back tomorrow and talk to James the manager. I'm sure he'll hook you up with a better price.

I'll let you guys know the skinny tomorrow when I talk to him. Thanks for all your insight and replys guys. I got my answer before you all hit me up with the info but keep sharing.

Thanks,
DIK

150aintenuff
01-14-2009, 02:29 AM
i still say matching the replacement sub with the SPECIFICATIONS of the existing PN gives you from JBL is going to be your best.. not just dropping in a JL any series and getting "pretty good" results... factory systems are about as matched as you will ever see.. may not sound the best but as far as power to driver and enclosure relations its about as good as it can get in any given vehicle given size constraints of any given interior..

njj502
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't disagree with you but I'm not spending $325 for a sub in a truck worth maybe $4K. A 6W0 4ohm driver is about the closest thing out there to match.

BTW I'm still looking for a 4ohm driver. The shop that had the old stock only had 12ohm available.

pyro
01-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I've got three 12 ohm W0's in a partitioned sealed box. Decent subs. The three in parallel yields 4 ohms.

Don't substitute the 12 ohm. ANY 4 ohm driver will probably work better, because the lower impedance will not likely allow the amp to develop its full rated power.

njj502
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Just curious, how did that set up work? That is what these 12ohm's that he has was intended for. I think I finally found a 4ohm. Seems like the box size is pretty much correct and wattage from the amp should be ok. Lacking a bit but not by just 8-10 watts rms.

Thanks for all ur input guys.

DIK

Story
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Your on the right track. Try here http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2073. I agree with what is stated above BUT I Have done the vary same thing many times as well. A JLW0 does not take that much power and your factory amp should be good for 50w or so which is plenty for that sub. We are talking about a 6" driver here. I just built a very small enclosure about .25 for a 6W3 and just placed it in a clients living room and it filled the room quite nicely about 100w. As a mater of fact, it rattled the dishes in the kitchen cabinet 30' away. I will tell you that you will be pleasantly surprised on how well it will out perform your factory sub set-up if you can find one as the 6W0 is discontinued. That's why I said try a 6W3 as it is a current driver and works in about the same specs. Ya, it is a deep sub and does have a higher power rating. You also need to stay with a 4ohm driver vs. a 12ohm. If you want me to explain why then let me know.

Again, I wouldn't rule out trying to call Harmon International. They own JBL, Infinity, Harmon Kardon, Lexicon and a few others. That driver can't cost $100 if it's available.

You can also try onlinecarstereo.com, millionbuy.com.

Good luck,
Brad

njj502
01-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Brad. Thanks for the input. I understand all the box sizing and power requirements. I found a 6W0 4ohm brand new in the box from a guy on ebay. I should have this all resolved in a few days. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

DIK

njj502
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Forgot to give an update. The first guy boned me. Didn't send me anything and it took a while to get the $$ back from Paypal. Got the second one from a different place on eBay.

Works as good as I suspected a 6.5" driver with a factory amp driving it. She could use a bit more power but can't everything?

Thanks for your direction and help guys!